Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
cincyguy13
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,414
cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Lmao
Tell me mick didnít lie to the fan base about scheduling for years. All we heard was how hard it was to get home and homes and good tournaments. That obviously wasnít true, but by all means, defend it. I would like to hear it.

cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
Queens_NYC
Elite Member
 
Queens_NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 959
Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
We've added Furman as a home game next season.

Last year they were 25-7 with a final NET ranking of 74 and a KenPom ranking of 81 (UCLA was 78 and Tulsa was 80 for reference).

We've filled 9 OOC games so far.

Home (4): Xavier, Louisville, Richmond, Furman

Away (3): Georgia, Tennessee, NKU

Neutral (2): St. John's, Arizona, or Texas Tech (2 of 3)
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:14 AM   #13
sirthought
Senior Member
 
sirthought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Down by river
Posts: 187
sirthought is on a distinguished road
Does this finish out the non-conference schedule?
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #14
cincyguy13
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,414
cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Does this finish out the non-conference schedule?
Isnít there usually 13-14 non conference games? I wouldnít be surprised if we got one more Colgate/Furman buy game. Then some fill in 200+ games. Most likely a top 10, maybe top 5 non conference schedule.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #15
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,899
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Furman is the type of school that is low reward high risk. Playing them away from home is fine, but at home thats a tier 3 game.


That colgate loss hurt last year. Would prefer not do to that again.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #16
cincyguy13
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,414
cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Furman is the type of school that is low reward high risk. Playing them away from home is fine, but at home thats a tier 3 game.


That colgate loss hurt last year. Would prefer not do to that again.
We win those games 95 out of 100 times. It took a 60 footer with 8 seconds left, followed by a foul 70 feet from the basket to lose to Colgate. Really not that big of a risk.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #17
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,899
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
We win those games 95 out of 100 times. It took a 60 footer with 8 seconds left, followed by a foul 70 feet from the basket to lose to Colgate. Really not that big of a risk.
and UNLV took us to OT. obviously those games are better for the fans, but in helping us get to the tournament, OOC home games vs tier 3 teams like this are a scary proposition.


i think scheduling like this was better when it was RPI and that stuff a few years back. maybe just need some tweaks to the formula for our scheduling to get the best possible OOC schedule.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:53 PM   #18
cincyguy13
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,414
cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
and UNLV took us to OT. obviously those games are better for the fans, but in helping us get to the tournament, OOC home games vs tier 3 teams like this are a scary proposition.


i think scheduling like this was better when it was RPI and that stuff a few years back. maybe just need some tweaks to the formula for our scheduling to get the best possible OOC schedule.
I donít think getting in to the tournament is the goal with brannen. I think it was with mick most years.

Of course we could lose any game but shouldnít be scared to play anyone. If we lose, we lose. Just like the Colgate game, and all the other bad games we had last year when everyone thought our year was done. We were still in the mix to get in. We will still win these games 95 out of 100 times. If we do lose, we should be good enough to over come it. If not, we donít deserve to get in.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 06-12-2020 at 12:57 PM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:40 AM   #19
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,899
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I donít think getting in to the tournament is the goal with brannen. I think it was with mick most years.

Of course we could lose any game but shouldnít be scared to play anyone. If we lose, we lose. Just like the Colgate game, and all the other bad games we had last year when everyone thought our year was done. We were still in the mix to get in. We will still win these games 95 out of 100 times. If we do lose, we should be good enough to over come it. If not, we donít deserve to get in.

Its not just about getting in, its about getting in and getting a solid seed to give yourself a better shot at a favorable draw.

Teams figured out how to best schedule when RPI was king, they knew which games would be the most valuable. This can be done with the current format as well, but its going to require some changes.


The best way to load up your schedule currently is as many tier 1 and 2 games as possible. That means playing away from home a decent amount. Challenge yourself away from home, its a great way to build your team up and give yourself a chance for quality wins. also losses don't hurt you in those games.


at this time last year i had the same view as you about these games. as the season played out and we got towards the end, it made it pretty clear these games are all risk and no value. sedziobs pointed it out at the time and the way it played out really showed the risk.


you can still load up the OOC portion, just make sure its tier 1 and 2. 3 is the danger zone.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #20
sedziobs
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,172
sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I don't hate Furman as much as I did Colgate. Furman has been solid for several years now, and the SoCon is a pretty good league. I think there's a better chance of Furman being top 75 than Colgate was after one good season in a bad league. Even so, I'd like to see us play those type of teams away from home some. Maybe a 2 for 1 situation. I think it would also be good for college basketball in general if some of the better mid-major teams could play home games against bigger schools.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.