Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2023, 12:23 PM   #201
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Just curious where you hear these rumors? I always see posters saying they hear rumors but they never say from where.
Twitter and BearcatJournal is where you'll find most scoops if you can stomach all of the other nonsense.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:33 PM   #202
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Malcolm Dandridge, the back-up center from Memphis, just entered the portal.

Immediately eligible with 1 year remaining.

5.7 ppg and 3.6 rpg over just 14.5 mpg last season (20 games)

Always seemed to be underutilized during his time there.

Could be a decent contingency plan at center.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 05:20 PM   #203
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
The rumor going around is that MAW is only going to have one suitor, because he knew where he was going before entering the portal. Apparently he got poached by an offer of a significant amount of NIL money.

Can't blame him if that's the case, he could stay here, with a lot of fans who are hoping he plays minimal minutes. Or go play starter minutes elsewhere, while making 200k.

The other rumor is that this took Wes by surprise, MAW was not the guy expected to leave to make room if we needed it. We may need to add another PG, relying on Jizzle and Day Day to be our only two PG's is a major risk. CJ Anthony may get his chance to play meaningful minutes if we don't add another PG.
Not sure it matters too much anymore the circumstances of MAW leaving or where he is headed. I hope he does great. But the question is can we get Aziz and do we replace MAW as well. I am content with leaning in on Thomas and James...but finding another solid veteran would reduce the risk. I think you take Aziz no matter what...then see what's available from a PG or combo guard standpoint. There are a ton of players still in the portal. If MAW was a surprise portal entrant from a UC perspective then we have potentially two spots we can still reasonably count on if we need it to happen.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:03 PM   #204
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Bandaogo commits!

No guarantee he'll be immediately eligible, but he will surely be an impact player from the moment he steps on the court.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:34 PM   #205
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Bandaogo commits!

No guarantee he'll be immediately eligible, but he will surely be an impact player from the moment he steps on the court.
Huge get. Aziz probably has a better chance at getting a mental health waiver, so this mitigates some of the risk that Reynolds might not be eligible. And it gives us a true rim protector, which means we can afford to take some lumps on perimeter defense. I'll feel more comfortable with the young PGs, Fredricks, Simas, and Vik at PF if Aziz is waiting at the rim.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:50 AM   #206
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Considering how hard it's been to get anyone positive, this seems to be a good sign. I thought this kid was going to follow Madsen to Cal, or go elsewhere. It's been dragging out for a few weeks now.

I really didn't think Wes would have this much trouble. Maybe a year in the Big 12 will change that, but I'm wondering if the assistant coaches who usually make the first impressions on these kids aren't really the right recruiting tools we need. Andre Morgan, Mike Roberts, and Chad Dollar? Are they getting it done?

We have great facilities. Great history. Our conference wasn't ideal, but it hadn't stopped us from getting pro level talent in the past. Just surprised how long since Cronin's departure we haven't really gotten a truly dangerous team.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 12:40 PM   #207
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Torvik's roster cast doesn't know how to handle all of our big men and runs out some absurdly huge lineups. It also doesn't have Newman, which makes the problem worse. It's not realistic but still fun to look at.

PG: Daveon 28 / Jizzle 7 / Fredrick 5
SG: Fredrick 16 / Skillings 15 / Rayvon 4 / Simas 5
SF: Simas 27 / Ody 13
PF: Vik 28 / Ody 12
C: Aziz 26 / Reynolds 12 / Vik 2
Old 05-22-2023, 12:45 PM   #208
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Considering how hard it's been to get anyone positive, this seems to be a good sign. I thought this kid was going to follow Madsen to Cal, or go elsewhere. It's been dragging out for a few weeks now.

I really didn't think Wes would have this much trouble. Maybe a year in the Big 12 will change that, but I'm wondering if the assistant coaches who usually make the first impressions on these kids aren't really the right recruiting tools we need. Andre Morgan, Mike Roberts, and Chad Dollar? Are they getting it done?

We have great facilities. Great history. Our conference wasn't ideal, but it hadn't stopped us from getting pro level talent in the past. Just surprised how long since Cronin's departure we haven't really gotten a truly dangerous team.
We're entering Year 3 of a major program rebuild and have been on a steady upward trajectory in nearly all areas since Wes took over.

Depending on how waivers/eligibility plays out, we should definitely go into next season expecting to compete for a NCAA tournament bid.

If we return the core of this roster for 24/25 then we could potentially be a top team in the Big 12.

As frustrating as the on-the-court results have been during the past 2 seasons, there's great reason to be optimistic about the future under Wes.
Old 05-22-2023, 12:50 PM   #209
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

I think we might be better off if Reynolds sits a year. That would give him a full year to get in better shape and would keep us from having a barren frontcourt in 2026.

PG: Jizzle 25 / Daveon 15
SG: Fredrick 20 / Newman 15 / Skillings 5
SF: Simas 20 / Skillings 15 / Rayvon 5
PF: Vik 10 / Ody 20 / Reed 10
C: Aziz 25 / Vik 15
Old 05-22-2023, 12:54 PM   #210
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

If Reynolds does play, I think he takes most of Ody's minutes and pushes either Reed or Rayvon out of playing time.

PG: Jizzle 25 / Daveon 15
SG: Fredrick 20 / Newman 15 / Skillings 5
SF: Simas 20 / Skillings 15 / Rayvon 5
PF: Vik 25 / Ody 10 / Reed 5
C: Aziz 25 / Reynolds 15