Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-22-2023, 10:13 PM   #11
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Utah whatever is a good team. We played in a tough environment and certainly never quit. Just a night when our shots were not falling. If anyone is to blame it is our administration who could not revise a construction schedule for these kids. We gave them an impossible task after they earned a home game. To take that away from the team is a travesty.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:23 PM   #12
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
We struggled to find offense outside of Nolley's threes all night, which was expected against this team. We did a pretty good job defensively, but couldn't recover from the uncontested transition baskets we gave up. I think they had at least 4 of them.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:30 AM   #13
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Tough game but we got what we deserved. Woodbury and Bandaogo were the two best players on the court. Nolley and DDJ both tried to will the team to victory but UVU proved they were too good to be beaten by hero ball.

We finish the season having beaten only one other team in the KenPom top 80: UCF (#53) x2
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:41 AM   #14
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

In many ways this game went exactly as the scouting report suggested. Woodbury and Harmon scored 17 each but combined for 7 turnovers so their ORtg was just ok. Bandaogo and Fuller combined for 27 points and 21 rebounds, and Bandaogo had 4 blocks. Darthard got to the free throw line 9 times, but he went just 1-6 from three. As a team they had 7 dunks (we had zero). Utah Valley scored 1.02 points per possession, good but not great.

We were held to 0.94 points per possession, one of our lowest of the season. Nolley was 5-11 from three, but the rest of the team was 1-14. We did a good job on the offensive glass, grabbing a third of our misses (but we allowed Utah Valley to do the same). We turned it over on only 11% of possessions, which is very good.

I've been a broken record on this all year, so perhaps it's fitting that we ended the season by putting up 40 midrange shots. One every minute! That's more than our rim looks and three point attempts combined! We made 25% of them - a paltry 0.5 points per possession. DDJ alone put up 16 midrange shots, matching Utah Valley's team total. And Nolley was right behind him with 12. It's just a terrible offensive philosophy.

We were very efficient when we attacked, converting 79% at the rim and 80% at the free throw line. I think we were scared to have our shot blocked though. Only 14 rim looks and 10 free throws in 73 possessions. I guess bricking a midrange shot doesn't hurt our feelings as much as getting a layup swatted, but it hurts the score sheet.

I'm happy that we improved as the year went on and got to play and win some postseason games. I think our defense has a chance to be really good as we add length and athleticism to the guard spots. I am still concerned about how we run an offense, and I'm worried it may never be efficient regardless of the talent we bring in.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:51 AM   #15
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
UVU lost to UAB in a 88-86 OT thriller last night to end their season.

North Texas beat Wisconsin 56-54 in the other semi-final to set up an all-future-AAC NIT Final in Vegas on Thursday.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:19 AM   #16
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
UVU lost to UAB in a 88-86 OT thriller last night to end their season.

North Texas beat Wisconsin 56-54 in the other semi-final to set up an all-future-AAC NIT Final in Vegas on Thursday.
Those were great games. North Texas held Wisconsin completely scoreless over the last 9 minutes. They ended the game on a 10-0 run, and zero points by either team were scored in the last 2 minutes. It was kind of bizarre to watch.

CUSA having an incredible postseason. An NCAA Final Four team, both NIT finals teams, and the CBI champion. The conference is 16-1! All four of those teams are joining the AAC next year.