Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
UNLV

Next team up is UNLV. They are 2-5, but their record is a little deceiving.
They've kept almost every loss close (only blowout loss was @UCLA), including two in OT and have played fairly high quality teams. They are better than Illinois St. and Valpo.

Their biggest advantage seems to be offensive rebounding. We are an okay, but not great defensive rebounding team, they are an excellent offensive rebounding team. Our whole team needs to get better at boxing out and rebounding and if we can't do that against UCLA it may spell trouble.

Our biggest advantage is 2 PT FG%, we are top 50 2 PT FG%, they are below 200 in 2 PT FG%.

They actually commit and force slightly more turnovers than us. Based on the numbers I would expect this to be a turnover fest. Probably advantage to us, as UNLV plays at a very slow pace and doesn't go very deep into the bench. Or advantage to whichever team can hold onto the ball.

They have two 6'11" guys, though the starter of the two is only 220 pounds. He also is their best rebounder and excellent on the offensive boards (17.6% ORB - for comparison UC's best are Davenport/Scott at 12.7/12.6%). Going to be a challenge for Vogt to keep him off the boards, and if my theory holds true, big enough to keep Vogt from being a big factor on O.

Hopefully Jarron is healthy and plays well. If Jarron is still injured this will be another tight game and potential loss.

They also begin a very tough stretch for us. UNLV is the lowest rated kenpom team (176) and only sub 150 kenpom team we will face in the next month plus (until we face Tulane on 1/4/2020). We need to come together as a team quickly or we could face a string of 3+ consecutive losses.

Last edited by skyblade; 11-26-2019 at 09:00 AM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I agreed to drive my wife and our couple friends to Nashville on Saturday for the Lizzo concert, So I'll be missing the game personally. I'll just be hanging in Nashville trying to find a bar that has the game on.

First time I've missed a regular season home game in multiple years.

Im just going to pull wayyy back on my fandom. I care too god damn much and spend too much money on this program.

New years resolution: to become a casual fan.

As for the game, I just hope we win. I do think we are a better team at home. and I think I'd like to see MAW start this game.

Kenpom has us winning by 14. I'd hope we at least do that, as we're dropping like lead in kenpom at the moment. We went from 24th going into Paradise jam, to now 48th

in these new NCAA metrics.. Its not just winning. Its how efficient you are doing it.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Have to win all our ooc home games
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Have to win all our ooc home games
Would be huge if we do.

That Tennessee game is a must win as is Iowa and Vermont. Losing a road game to X is not a disaster tho.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I agreed to drive my wife and our couple friends to Nashville on Saturday for the Lizzo concert, So I'll be missing the game personally. I'll just be hanging in Nashville trying to find a bar that has the game on.

First time I've missed a regular season home game in multiple years.

Im just going to pull wayyy back on my fandom. I care too god damn much and spend too much money on this program.

New years resolution: to become a casual fan.

As for the game, I just hope we win. I do think we are a better team at home. and I think I'd like to see MAW start this game.

Kenpom has us winning by 14. I'd hope we at least do that, as we're dropping like lead in kenpom at the moment. We went from 24th going into Paradise jam, to now 48th

in these new NCAA metrics.. Its not just winning. Its how efficient you are doing it.
What fun is it to cut back?

Not going to lie..I have 0 interest in MLB, NFL, NBA, etc. My casual (it's more than casual) fandom lies with the football team. I can watch a UC football game and get into it, but a loss doesn't derail me.

UC basketball has been my "thing" ever since I was a kid. A loss bruises my heart. Always has. Always will. I don't believe there is such a thing as becoming a casual fan once you've been a diehard.

Stay the course. Reap the rewards and drown in the sorrow.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
mdchick
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
What fun is it to cut back?

Not going to lie..I have 0 interest in MLB, NFL, NBA, etc. My casual (it's more than casual) fandom lies with the football team. I can watch a UC football game and get into it, but a loss doesn't derail me.

UC basketball has been my "thing" ever since I was a kid. A loss bruises my heart. Always has. Always will. I don't believe there is such a thing as becoming a casual fan once you've been a diehard.

Stay the course. Reap the rewards and drown in the sorrow.
This is my exact feeling as well UC basketball since I was 6 years old the rest idc remember following their games on gamecast through yahoo sports
Old 11-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #7
mdchick
Epic Member

If we beat xavier at xavier all is forgiven and I will again practice the JB religion and gives thanks to our lord and savior John Brannen
Old 11-26-2019, 04:59 PM   #8
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Need to look better at home. We need to find some consistent bench play.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #9
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Need to look better at home. We need to find some consistent bench play.
Legend predicts?
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #10
justinhub2003
Epic Member