Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Football Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2010 Recruiting Profiles

Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
'10 IL DT Ty Phillips (Grant in aid)

Defensive Tackle
East St Louis, IL (E. St Louis)

Ht:6'3"
Wt:255 lbs
40:4.9 secs

Rivals profile
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Graduated in '09, and signed LOI w/ Missouri, therefore the Grant In Aid papers.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
swg
Epic Member

Old 05-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
swg
Epic Member

http://www.bearcatlair.com/home-news...-to-cincinnati
Old 05-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
swg
Epic Member

Profile from Mizzou site...

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-foo...lips_ty00.html

Ranked by Rivals.com as the No. 20 overall prospect (any position) out of the state of Illinois, and also as the nation's No. 74-rated defensive tackle prospect ... Had a big senior season at East St. Louis High school that earned him recruiting attention, as he collected 108 tackles and 17 quarterback sacks and 1 interception while splitting time at both defensive end and tackle in 2008 ... Won All-State honors for his play in 2008, as his team rolled to a 13-1 record and claimed a state championship ... Was selected to play in the Offense-Defense All-American Bowl all-star game in January, played in Myrtle Beach, S.C., where Scout.com said he was the most impressive player on the West squad, saying he had a constant motor with excellent technique ... Spent his first three years of high school at Belleville East, but transferred to East St. Louis prior to his senior year, after his family moved ... Was a three-year starter on the gridiron at Belleville East, earning 1st-Team All-Conference honors as a junior and 2nd-Team All-Conference honors as both a sophomore and freshman ... High school coach - Darren Sunkett ... Parents - Adrian Simmons & Sandra Phillips ... Interested in studying medicine at Mizzou ... Lists hobbies as football, basketball and baseball ... Chose Mizzou over Illinois, Nebraska and Kansas State, among others ... MU primary recruiting coach - Cornell Ford.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
swg
Epic Member

Here's an article about his time at Union Pace 'school'.

http://atomicteeth.fantake.com/2009/...n-ty-phillips/

Wow. Check out this story on the prep school Missouri recruit Ty Phillips was attending. Not good. I’m guessing we are not counting on Mr. Phillips’s January enrollment.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
swg
Epic Member

New Cincinnati head coach Butch Jones has added defensive lineman Ty Phillips of East St. Louis, Ill., to the Bearcats' Class of 2010.

Phillips (6-foot-2, 265-pounds), originally chose Missouri over Illinois in 2009, but failed to meet NCAA academic standards. He has taken classes at Union Christian Prep and Pace to gain eligibility for 2010.

Among his recent offers were from Michigan State and Kentucky, plus interest from Ohio State and Virginia Tech.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recru...racker/school?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
swg
Epic Member

Just when you think Butch Jones is finished recruiting, the new Bearcat head football coach adds another player, and that’s exactly what he did Monday when Ty Phillips (DT) verbally committed to the Bearcats.

The 2009 Missouri signee called Bearcat Lair Monday evening to inform the site of his decision.

“I came down to UC today and met with Coach Jones. He offered me a spot and I took it right then,” said Phillips. He said he also had recent scholarship offers from Michigan State and Kentucky. In 2009, he had chosen Missouri over an offer from Illinois.

After playing at East St. Louis High School, Phillips signed with the Missouri Tigers in 2009 but failed to meet NCAA academic standards. The 6’ 2”/266 pounder said he then enrolled in a prep school to improve his grades and is less than two weeks from being academic qualified. He told BCL that he has taken classes at Union Christian and Pace since leaving East St. Louis.

As word of Phillips’ academic success began to surface, more and more schools started showing interest in the defensive tackle.

“Ohio State liked me, and we were talking as well as with Virginia Tech,” said Phillips.

Phillips explained why he ultimately chose the Bearcats.

“It wasn’t because of football. It was mainly because of the academic part. They have a good rate of graduating African-Americans. That’s the main reason I went there. Plus, all the coaches are down to earth.”

Phillips had attended a Cincinnati spring football practice last month so he would have a first-hand experience with the UC program.

Because he signed a national letter of intent with the Missouri Tigers, he will not be permitted to sign one with UC. Instead, he is expected to sign grant-in-aid papers in the very near future. He plans to officially start classes at Cincinnati on June 20.

Even though grant-in-aid papers are not binding, Phillips says his recruitment is over.

“It’s a done deal. I’m not changing my mind. I can’t wait to get started. I’m going to work hard for the Bearcats.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...d+2010+recruit