Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2022, 12:18 PM   #81
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I just hope he acts more as a distributor and less as a shooter next year. Hoping we don't have to watch another year of DDJ and Davenport jacking up bad iso shots.
Based on who we're targeting in the portal, it looks like we're recruiting over MAW at the other guard spot.

Getting someone like Brandon Murray (likely a longshot) would definitely ease the offensive load for DDJ and Davenport.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 01:30 PM   #82
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Looking back at the first post, we lost a good chunk of the guy with three years remaining. Assuming we want an even split, Wes may prioritize getting younger guys a bit. Right now it is.

1 year (2): DDJ, Newman
2 years (3): MAW, Ody, Davenport
3 years (1): Hensley
4 years (4): Reed, Skillings, Tolentino and Lakhin.

I doubt Lakhin stays for all 6 years, but between the red-shirt and Covid year he does technically still have 4 remaining.

To even out classes I think we are looking for one veteran PG, a younger SG and a younger C/PF. It's also possible we get two younger guards if one of them is a guy who can start immediately.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 01:35 PM   #83
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
@waterhead, with nothing to lose and hockey lineups every game. How St. Peters is playing how we should've been every game. If your going that deep you have make it fun for everyone. Nobody go respect DDJ and DJ just jacking up shots.
I think that's what Wes is trying to do, play deep and make it fun for everyone. We need more threats and we also need DDJ and JD to be quicker, more willing passers and to jack up fewer bad shots. As we get deeper and other players improve, Wes may be more willing to pull guys for taking bad shots.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:10 PM   #84
Lefty

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just hope he acts more as a distributor and less as a shooter next year. Hoping we don't have to watch another year of DDJ and Davenport jacking up bad iso shots.
More so Davenport than DDJ imo.
Many of Davenport’s were flat out ridiculous
But I didn’t think DDJ was that bad.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:01 PM   #85
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I doubt Lakhin stays for all 6 years, but between the red-shirt and Covid year he does technically still have 4 remaining.
Are we sure about this? My understanding of the Covid year was that 2020-21 didn't count toward anyone's eligibility. I don't see why using a redshirt during that year would give five years beyond it. Maybe it does.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:41 AM   #86
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Are we sure about this? My understanding of the Covid year was that 2020-21 didn't count toward anyone's eligibility. I don't see why using a redshirt during that year would give five years beyond it. Maybe it does.
I spent a while trying to find a definite answer and I couldn't find anything definite, so now I'm not sure. It might be a good question to ask Chad on a podcast.

The way that it was worded seems not to be that 2020-21 does not count toward eligibility, but rather that all 2020-21 winter sport students athletes are granted an extra year of eligibility whether they compete or not.

It's clear that Lakhin was granted the extra Covid year of eligibility. So the question is if 2020-21 counts against him. Normally with the redshirt it wouldn't, but since the Covid year rule was intended to make it not count anyway, it would seem like a loophole to make it not count twice (once because of the redshirt and once from Covid year). The NCAA may have addressed it somewhere, but I couldn't find the answer.

On the other hand, Lakhin is listed as a redshirt freshman on GoBearcats.com, so I think we can safely assume he used the redshirt. It would seem silly for him to have done so if by doing so he lost the extra Covid year. After all there would be no benefit and he'd lose the option to redshirt later in his career.

Edit: It looks like you are right and I was wrong, I'm still not positive, but it appears that the NCAA did not grant redshirts for the 2020-21 season (makes sense since the Covid year was essentially a redshirt to all players). So Lakhin did not officially redshirt last year and still has his redshirt available if needed.

Last edited by skyblade; 03-27-2022 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:32 AM   #87
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So Lakhin did not officially redshirt last year and still has his redshirt available if needed.
This works in our favor for class balancing, since we have either 2 or 3 players in each class. So we can bring in a player who fits anywhere. Of course these days transfers can blow all that up at the end of each season.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:43 AM   #88
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
This works in our favor for class balancing, since we have either 2 or 3 players in each class. So we can bring in a player who fits anywhere. Of course these days transfers can blow all that up at the end of each season.
Yeah, for ideal balance (3 guys in each class, plus one wildcard) we should add a 3 year guy, a one year guy and one best available without regards for class. But even if we don't, at minimum we will have two guys in each class. And as you say, transfers may make class balancing less important.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:23 PM   #89
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
More so Davenport than DDJ imo.
Many of Davenport’s were flat out ridiculous
But I didn’t think DDJ was that bad.
I would like to see the volume go down a bit for each. Hopefully we can take a more balanced approach to offense leading to higher efficiencies.

That is going to require at least one more weapon on the perimeter. I tend to think Vik will help with a more balanced scoring approach as well if he can get some other issues worked out. I don't know how likely it will be to add a big from the portal who can rebound, defend rim, and score from the paint. I would settle for the rebounding and the defense first.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:24 PM   #90
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would like to see the volume go down a bit for each. Hopefully we can take a more balanced approach to offense leading to higher efficiencies.

That is going to require at least one more weapon on the perimeter. I tend to think Vik will help with a more balanced scoring approach as well if he can get some other issues worked out. I don't know how likely it will be to add a big from the portal who can rebound, defend rim, and score from the paint. I would settle for the rebounding and the defense first.
Ody also showed a fair amount of offensive skill. Ody struggled to stay on the court because of his defense and high foul rate. There's at least some reason to believe that his defensive struggles were partly due to learning a new system, with a full off-season he should improve.

Vik on the other hand seems to have a really good one-on-one game, but not so much on the team game side. Another year in the system should help him a lot. His defense was better than Ody's, but he still struggled at times.

Both Ody and Vik put up good rebounding numbers, especially offensive rebounds.

Any big we add is likely to have as many or more flaws as Ody/Vik and less time to learn Miller's system. I think Ody/Vik are more likely to become a big man who can defend, rebound and score than any portal guy. Guys who can do everything either go to a blue-blood or go pro.