Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #1601
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Snapper View Post
I guarantee that would not be the majority attitude around here if he was signing with, say, Xavier. Multiple boys involved in an incident that resulted in them taking and sharing sexually explicit material of a single younger girl is sure as hell not something that 95% of all teenagers are guilty of.

He pled down and there is nothing stopping him from getting a scholarship and moving on, but 1. let's realize this isn't just Brannen landing an amazing player in a vacuum 2. normalizing this sort of thing with "everyone does it" just because he stands to help your team win games is precisely what leads to wild abuses - pretty much every university athletics sex scandal (and there have been far too many) metastasizes because people rationalize unacceptable behavior because doing so helps "their side" win games.
Maybe it wouldn't be, but we have a lot of not-so-good posters around here. And you apparently didn't read what I said or are struggling with reading comprehension. I said 95% would be guilty of the promotion of a girl to perform sexual acts. They were less than a year apart. Your statement that what I said leads to wild abuses is ridiculous. Get a grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Forcing out Hardnett, who had the size to play the 4/5 and replacing him with another guard seems weird (even though Harvey is highly rated). We already have a lot of depth at guard and lacking big man depth. Now we have even more guards and fewer bigs.
It's amazing comparing your conclusions when it relates to Cronin vs. Brannen. Already assuming that he was forced out and he wasn't given a choice. And you can't compare Hardnett and Hargraves height as if all else is equal. Hardnett's height does nothing if he isn't good enough to see the court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Bro do u know who mick really was and where he started from. He was recruiting like he was part of mob, only wanting the best of the best players and getting them however he needed get them. He famously claims he pimped recruiting services to get satterfield bumped up to 5*. Snitched on ohio state about flint getting a meal on visit
Quote:
Grayson high school had *5 star football recruit that had exactly same situation. He had go all way down to juco
You avoid the argument. I don't care who Mick really was. I know his background, it's not relevant. Huggins wasn't going to let an assistant coach make the decision on forcing a player out in place of a recruit. Never, ever, would that happen. Stop saying stupid shit and think a little before you post.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #1602
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post

You avoid the argument. I don't care who Mick really was. I know his background, it's not relevant. Huggins wasn't going to let an assistant coach make the decision on forcing a player out in place of a recruit. Never, ever, would that happen. Stop saying stupid shit and think a little before you post.
Demarr is still our highest rated recruit ever i believe. Was rumored try go pro after his JR year of high school. You don't need permission to sign him
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #1603
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Demarr is still our highest rated recruit ever i believe. Was rumored try go pro after his JR year of high school. You don't need permission to sign him
Mick would have been fired on the spot had he forced McGhee out without Huggins permission.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:11 AM   #1604
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
The lack of size and our unproven centers are the biggest concerns to me. We've had undersized teams before, but those teams had tough guards who played bigger than their size.

Jarron could be that type of guard, but will he wear down? Moore could also be and played the 4 last year at times.

Keith, Jaevin and McNeal all seem like guys who don't like to battle inside. They are going to have to start scrapping for every rebound.

Forcing out Hardnett, who had the size to play the 4/5 and replacing him with another guard seems weird (even though Harvey is highly rated). We already have a lot of depth at guard and lacking big man depth. Now we have even more guards and fewer bigs.
The center position was going to be the most challenging this season with or without Hardnett. Yeah, he was another body to back guys up, but he was still a freshman and wouldn't play much.

Not that the two things are related, but if you can get a scorer like this kid is said to be, then you do it. Your problems at center reduce a lot if there are more good scorers.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:59 AM   #1605
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Taking a look at this potential roster with Harvey. We don't have a bunch of projects that had a couple offers from small power 5 schools.

Jarron - top 50 recruit that could start for anyone in the country.
Jaevin - was headed to Michigan
Harvey - was likely headed to Kansas
Williams - Top 125 player and POY in NYC

Add high level role players and we can do some real damage. We have high level talent this year. To me, it is all about how fast we can adjust to the style of play.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:59 AM   #1606
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Snapper View Post
I guarantee that would not be the majority attitude around here if he was signing with, say, Xavier. Multiple boys involved in an incident that resulted in them taking and sharing sexually explicit material of a single younger girl is sure as hell not something that 95% of all teenagers are guilty of.

He pled down and there is nothing stopping him from getting a scholarship and moving on, but 1. let's realize this isn't just Brannen landing an amazing player in a vacuum 2. normalizing this sort of thing with "everyone does it" just because he stands to help your team win games is precisely what leads to wild abuses - pretty much every university athletics sex scandal (and there have been far too many) metastasizes because people rationalize unacceptable behavior because doing so helps "their side" win games.
With Snapchat, cellphones, and instagram, I bet the percentage for this behavior in teens is closer to 100%.

Also the girls could have been in the same grade. He was 16 and the girls was 15. Look, it’s never great to have these issues but to think this isn’t part of today’s society is naive

Last edited by cincyguy13; 06-18-2019 at 06:08 AM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:16 AM   #1607
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Why would height matter when Laquill was most likely never going to see the floor? Harvey can most likely come in and contribute right away. I think it may be better for both parties that he go to a smaller school and potentially be one of the best players on that team, hopefully he can get a waiver or something and play right away. We are basically renting a 7 footer for a year in Scorolla, then we have Scott, Diarra and Prince who can play in the post as well. Laquill most likely was behind all 4 of them.

I am not defending Harvey in any way because he absolutely made a poor choice...… but remember when you were 16, most 16 year old boys are dumb, immature, think they know everything and make mistakes. That's not an excuse for what he did but mistakes happen and if the board decides he can't come because of that so be it.

Also he is still available because he has reclassified twice, he was in 2019 class than reclassified to 2020 and then found out he couldn't do another year at prep school so he reclassified back to 2019 when most schools were already done recruiting.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:19 AM   #1608
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Yeah, I always thought Samari wasn’t as good as everyone thought he was. Only time will tell though
Well, why do you say that? In my assertion Curtis is pretty well physically developed for his age, has good size in him and a good shot. Unfortunately for him unlike Harvey he was unable to splash on the AAU seen and possibly doesn't have the extra fill dummies to run through and training facilities to take advantage of but it looked like he did a pretty nice job asserting himself this yr into being an Ohio Mr. Basketball which holds probably more considerable talent than the state of Kansas. With that being said Harvey looks like a good player but don't Just judge based off rankings. The mindstate of these two players and how they respond to thier caoching will ultimately be the deciding factor in how they develop and yes we will see
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #1609
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Why would height matter when Laquill was most likely never going to see the floor? Harvey can most likely come in and contribute right away. I think it may be better for both parties that he go to a smaller school and potentially be one of the best players on that team, hopefully he can get a waiver or something and play right away. We are basically renting a 7 footer for a year in Scorolla, then we have Scott, Diarra and Prince who can play in the post as well. Laquill most likely was behind all 4 of them.

I am not defending Harvey in any way because he absolutely made a poor choice...… but remember when you were 16, most 16 year old boys are dumb, immature, think they know everything and make mistakes. That's not an excuse for what he did but mistakes happen and if the board decides he can't come because of that so be it.

Also he is still available because he has reclassified twice, he was in 2019 class than reclassified to 2020 and then found out he couldn't do another year at prep school so he reclassified back to 2019 when most schools were already done recruiting.
Laquil was an athlete he could play... he was going to see the floor
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:22 AM   #1610
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatone View Post
Taking a look at this potential roster with Harvey. We don't have a bunch of projects that had a couple offers from small power 5 schools.

Jarron - top 50 recruit that could start for anyone in the country.
Jaevin - was headed to Michigan
Harvey - was likely headed to Kansas
Williams - Top 125 player and POY in NYC

Add high level role players and we can do some real damage. We have high level talent this year. To me, it is all about how fast we can adjust to the style of play.
And 50% of those will be Brannen recruits. It's going to be interesting to see how he runs the team this year. Looks like he wants speedy point guards who can push pace (based on Saunders, McNeal etc). A 7' shot blocker in the paint (Sorolla, Vogt etc). Versatile wings and stretch 4's.

We can run with a PG two wings a stretch 4 and a 5. No PG three wings and two stretch 4's. A PG three wings and a stretch 4. A PG three wings and a 5. No PG three wings a stretch 4 and a 5.

Of course we will see many different options but I am interested what shapes up as his go to starting/best lineup. Some will depend on matchups as well but he will settle in on his most productive lineup.

Based on his recruiting so far I don't think Scott and Diara are his prototype for the 5 spot but they might be the best option(s) for this year. Who knows?

Based on his recruiting of Saunders I now think McNeal could see a little more time than I suspected to push pace.

So many questions right now but it's a little easier to see now what he is looking for in future lineups.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote