Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #161
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
I’ll ideally take playmaker over shooter also, with mix guys we got I’ll rather get couple shooters then work on their skills over 4/5 into playmaker. I want Davenport and Eason work on their one on one and playmaking ability. You need guys 6’7 or better on wing that can create. I say get 2 HS rim protectors, 2 HS shooters, 1 more guy with Eason/Davenport size and skill set for wing, and 1 PG
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:03 PM   #162
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Houston has proved you can have an elite team without developing your own bigs or having them be 4/5-star HS recruits.

-Justin Gorham: 6'7 SR Transfer from Towson (Unranked out of high school)
-Brison Gresham: 6'8 SR Transfer from UMass (3-star on 247; .8833 rating)
-Reggie Chaney: 6'7 JR Transfer from Arkansas (3-star on 247; .9240 rating)
-J'Wan Roberts: 6'7 RS Freshman (3-star on 247; .9267 rating)
-Fabian White: 6'8 Senior (3-star on 247; .8647 rating)

We don't need the best guys. We just need the right ones.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #163
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Houston has proved you can have an elite team without developing your own bigs or having them be 4/5-star HS recruits.

-Justin Gorham: 6'7 SR Transfer from Towson (Unranked out of high school)
-Brison Gresham: 6'8 SR Transfer from UMass (3-star on 247; .8833 rating)
-Reggie Chaney: 6'7 JR Transfer from Arkansas (3-star on 247; .9240 rating)
-J'Wan Roberts: 6'7 RS Freshman (3-star on 247; .9267 rating)
-Fabian White: 6'8 Senior (3-star on 247; .8647 rating)

We don't need the best guys. We just need the right ones.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I just don’t see CJB demanding the kinda toughness out of his bigs like Sampson does.

I’ve read reports that half of Houston’s practice is with a bubble on the rim so every shot is a miss and then all out war for rebounds.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:39 PM   #164
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Maybe I’m wrong, but I just don’t see CJB demanding the kinda toughness out of his bigs like Sampson does.

I’ve read reports that half of Houston’s practice is with a bubble on the rim so every shot is a miss and then all out war for rebounds.
I understand your point here but I am also trying to marry that up with the idea that Brannen is a feared maniac by players and coaches alike.

That was one of the ideas put out here along with the idea that Davenport is likely gone because he was good friends with Harvey. I know it was quoted from someone else...but isn't Davenport supposed to be friends with the entire team? It's a family right?

Do we have a maniac or a nice guy? What he is maniacal about? Not being tough? it would be one thing if all of this stuff added up but I don't see the hot head coach we have seen for 30 years on the sidelines. He SEEMS very supportive and less likely to stew over a TO or missed assignment than past coaches. Just trying to navigate through the rumor mill here.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #165
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Quote:

Yeah, I get that we'll likely never defend or rebound as well as Houston but that doesn't mean we can't make great improvements with some simple personnel changes.

With Dou, Rap, and Vogt we have 3 different types of bigs that most of us probably wouldn't want Brannen to recruit again.

Dou: The semi-skilled, athletic, but incredibly raw stretch 4 who will need a minimum of 2 years before he can see the court for anything beyond garbage time.

Rap: The skilled but soft/unathletic stretch 4 who can give you the odd basket but can't guard any high major players at the 4 or 5 position.

Vogt: The 100% back-to-the-basket giant 5 who is only an average finisher at the rim, can't shoot free throws, and is a liability against most high major teams on defense/the boards.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:11 PM   #166
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Yeah, I get that we'll likely never defend or rebound as well as Houston but that doesn't mean we can't make great improvements with some simple personnel changes.

With Dou, Rap, and Vogt we have 3 different types of bigs that most of us probably wouldn't want Brannen to recruit again.

Dou: The semi-skilled, athletic, but incredibly raw stretch 4 who will need a minimum of 2 years before he can see the court for anything beyond garbage time.

Rap: The skilled but soft/unathletic stretch 4 who can give you the odd basket but can't guard any high major players at the 4 or 5 position.

Vogt: The 100% back-to-the-basket giant 5 who is only an average finisher at the rim, can't shoot free throws, and is a liability against most high major teams on defense/the boards.
You may have forgotten the rarely mentioned potential secret weapon in Viktor Lakhin (shhhhh). The seemingly plodding (but in a sneaky slow kind of way) likely euro pro that we must have in some form of witness protection program. If he does exist I can't even be sure he hasn't already been poisoned through his undergarments. Is the one video out there a deep fake?

I kid. I kid. But not sure this kid is the 5 we are looking for. Using a free year he could hopefully be a good 4 after Tari leaves. And maybe back up the 5 in a pinch.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:15 PM   #167
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
You may have forgotten the rarely mentioned potential secret weapon in Viktor Lakhin (shhhhh). The seemingly plodding (but in a sneaky slow kind of way) likely euro pro that we must have in some form of witness protection program. If he does exist I can't even be sure he hasn't already been poisoned through his undergarments. Is the one video out there a deep fake?

I kid. I kid. But not sure this kid is the 5 we are looking for. Using a free year he could hopefully be a good 4 after Tari leaves. And maybe back up the 5 in a pinch.
Lol.

I guess Lakhin appears to be cut out of the Rap mold.

I would like to think because he's a few years younger that he could still become the player that Rap never was for us.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #168
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Going need 4-5 guys on team with Davenport size and athleticism. We got enough small guards now we need compliment them with size on wings and rim protectors
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:41 PM   #169
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I’d love eliel back. He is exactly what this team needs. I’ve watched him guard smaller guards and not get beat.

Just find someone like him. Coach up his offense if it sucks
Are we even sure Eliel is that much better than what we have? I get it, he can move,but he also plays at Georgia st. His numbers are going to be inflated. I’m not even arguing that he could be better than Vogt, but we have to move past these kind of players.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #170
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

Victor looks agile in his YouTube videos. He’s white but I’m not sure he’s that slow. Maybe he is.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote