Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #11
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Vogt playing respectably for 10 minutes.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:57 PM   #12
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Let’s lock Brannen up for 6 more years
6??? How bout 600
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:14 PM   #13
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Well hell. Harvey looking more important than ever right now
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #14
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Played hard. DD can definitely play on my team any day. Davenport had 14 and 7. He’s a sophomore. Some of the young guys struggled but got experience. And a win. I’ll take that
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:32 PM   #15
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
You'd think with all that time off some guys would at least practice free throws on their own. I was just glad to watch a game again. Effort was good and the defense looked a lot better. Hard to tell how good it really was against Temple though.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:42 PM   #16
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Temple is the worst offense we’ve played all year so it’s a good sign to jog make them look better than they are.

That said, the guys have been through a tough stretch, so this win no matter how ugly is a good start.

DJD needs to continue to play like he is an alpha scorer and stop pretending to be a team first distributor. We need him to be aggressive like he was tonight.

Keith made some key plays late but man, the fouling has to stop.

All in all, it was a good effort.

I think Tulane will give us a better game than temple though
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:56 PM   #17
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Temple is the worst offense we’ve played all year so it’s a good sign to jog make them look better than they are.

That said, the guys have been through a tough stretch, so this win no matter how ugly is a good start.

DJD needs to continue to play like he is an alpha scorer and stop pretending to be a team first distributor. We need him to be aggressive like he was tonight.

Keith made some key plays late but man, the fouling has to stop.

All in all, it was a good effort.

I think Tulane will give us a better game than temple though
We get it, temple sucks. We haven’t played a game in a month. Haven’t practiced. Rob banks played significant minutes. Enjoy the win. Don’t need to add disclaimers.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:11 PM   #18
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Winning is better than losing
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:36 AM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Only 3 guys scored a bucket except Mason who had a put back layup. This should have been a game for MAW to step it up a bit. Harvey is going to be crucial as a guy who will put some pressure on a defense with more aggressive play than MAW.

Vogt got the Hackashaq treatment when he was in there and will probably always get that treatment. Who wants to watch him make 65% of his paint shots when he's shooting 37% from the line. It would be a crime not to foul him at those numbers.

Down the road if we get these guys all playing good ball consistently together we might just be okay. Williams, DD, Harvey, JD. And then sprinkle in some Eason fast break points, defense, rebounds, put backs, and an occasional 3. That's a pretty solid lineup.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:46 AM   #20
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
We get it, temple sucks. We haven’t played a game in a month. Haven’t practiced. Rob banks played significant minutes. Enjoy the win. Don’t need to add disclaimers.
Why not? You complain about Justin being nothing but rain, but you are nothing but rainbows. Temple played horrible and their coaching was bad enough that I bet a lot of Temple fans are not happy with McKie right now. We beat them and that's great (more than I and most of us expected), but they were terrible.

As for Rob Banks, he barely counts as a walk-on in my mind (could have had a low D-1 scholarship). I think he showed he should be getting minutes over Saunders and possibly Mason right now. Banks defended, he fought for rebounds and he brought the energy and intensity this team often lacks. He didn't contribute much on offense, but neither did anyone not named DeJulius, Davenport or Keith.

I don't know if Temple's players thought it would be a cakewalk game or their coaches are just that checked out. They looked less prepared than we were and that's saying a lot considering our long layoff. Look at their strategy of pounding the ball inside on Vogt, the entire play-book on attacking Vogt says make him defend the pick-and-roll, instead they just went at him on the interior (where he is good at defending).

DeJulius making threes and becoming more assertive was a nice positive and we had more players available than expected (the way Brannen talked I was expecting close to half the team to be out and Sam Martin to get minutes along with Banks). Besides that, there weren't many positives.

Last edited by skyblade; 02-05-2021 at 07:49 AM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote