Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #1231
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
This comment, the Jason Kidd thing, what are you talking about man?
If you noticed you really can’t see our small cpaw on side of our coaches gear. That’s not good for recruiting, when we walk in building you need to see large Cpaw to know exactly who we are
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:41 PM   #1232
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

I think Gates would up the recruiting in Cincinnati but his resume is just to short. His team is tough to read. They got destroyed by 55 against Ohio then turned around and only lost by 6 to OSU

It was the second game of a COVID year and and I don't know much about their year but their top scorer was on the bench to start at that point. Not going to put stock in that one game. Lost to OSU next game then won 9 in a row where their leading scorer for the year starts and averages like 16. I'll pay more attention to that.

This isn't saying he's the hire, but it isn't a metric I'd use to decide.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:24 AM   #1233
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
After getting scared to death it would be Erik Martin, my new list

Casey Alexander - I know no shot, but he's still my guy, and if we need a new coach in 2 more years, he will still be my guy

Bryce Drew -not sure if we are even talking to him

Jeff Boals - Potential up and comer. Beat Virginia in the tournament this year. Has a top 100 season coming in, Brannen never did. Slightly above average tempo, 2x as many shots at the rim as from midrange. Great 2 point offense. 24th in eFG% last season.

Jerome Tang - Don't know a lot about what he'd be like as a head coach, but Drew let him run their man to man defense, so we know he can coach that. Baylor runs a great offense, so hopefully he'd be up on that too.

Dennis Gates - His style in his first 2 seasons as a head coach really isn't like what FSU plays, but not sure if that would change with better players. Seems extremely charismatic and could probably recruit here. Big jump from his first season to second season at Cleveland State. Limited HC experience is a negative.

Jared Grasso - sebziobs said so, so thats good enough for me.

Archie - Don't really want him because I think he is what he is, and what he is isn't what we want. We'll be a top 50-60 team every year and thats about it if he stays consistent with the rest of his career. Nothing in his teams numbers point to him coaching a particular part of the game. Sometimes his offense is good but his defense sucks, sometimes his defense is good but offense sucks. Sometimes his teams are good at rebounding and sometimes they are awful at it. There's really no consistency in anything, outside of being mediocre, and that is scary to me.

If we get one of those guys, I can be positive about it.

Do not want

Anybody named Martin. NVE. Savino. Anybody that comes with an old school basketball philosophy of how to play offense.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #1234
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
In my ideal world, there would be a pre-screening process to see if the candidates understand and believe in analytics. Then the athletic department could do a full interview and due diligence to get the right fit. All of the names on cincrulz list would probably pass the pre-screening. Who knows, maybe Martin or Savino would pass. It's hard to say what guys want to do when they strike out on their own.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #1235
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
In my ideal world, there would be a pre-screening process to see if the candidates understand and believe in analytics. Then the athletic department could do a full interview and due diligence to get the right fit. All of the names on cincrulz list would probably pass the pre-screening. Who knows, maybe Martin or Savino would pass. It's hard to say what guys want to do when they strike out on their own.
Thats a fair point, what person, let alone coach, wants to be a clone of their mentor? Everyone will bring a unique spin to things when handed the keys.

I'm all in for whomever can get some players who belong on a top 50 team in ASAP.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:23 AM   #1236
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
After getting scared to death it would be Erik Martin, my new list

Casey Alexander - I know no shot, but he's still my guy, and if we need a new coach in 2 more years, he will still be my guy

Bryce Drew -not sure if we are even talking to him

Jeff Boals - Potential up and comer. Beat Virginia in the tournament this year. Has a top 100 season coming in, Brannen never did. Slightly above average tempo, 2x as many shots at the rim as from midrange. Great 2 point offense. 24th in eFG% last season.

Jerome Tang - Don't know a lot about what he'd be like as a head coach, but Drew let him run their man to man defense, so we know he can coach that. Baylor runs a great offense, so hopefully he'd be up on that too.

Dennis Gates - His style in his first 2 seasons as a head coach really isn't like what FSU plays, but not sure if that would change with better players. Seems extremely charismatic and could probably recruit here. Big jump from his first season to second season at Cleveland State. Limited HC experience is a negative.

Jared Grasso - sebziobs said so, so thats good enough for me.

Archie - Don't really want him because I think he is what he is, and what he is isn't what we want. We'll be a top 50-60 team every year and thats about it if he stays consistent with the rest of his career. Nothing in his teams numbers point to him coaching a particular part of the game. Sometimes his offense is good but his defense sucks, sometimes his defense is good but offense sucks. Sometimes his teams are good at rebounding and sometimes they are awful at it. There's really no consistency in anything, outside of being mediocre, and that is scary to me.

If we get one of those guys, I can be positive about it.

Do not want

Anybody named Martin. NVE. Savino. Anybody that comes with an old school basketball philosophy of how to play offense.
Did Erik Martin decline the job or something ?
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:26 AM   #1237
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Did Erik Martin decline the job or something ?

No, I'm sure he's still in the mix, but him being in the mix made me expand my list of coaches I'd be ok with.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #1238
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Please no on Frank Martin
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:37 AM   #1239
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
If Erik Martin is hired and brings on NVE as assistant HC I would be on board with trying that out. Seems to be some legs on that being a possible option.

If it's just one or the other I am not that interested in Martin. I would prefer one of the other candidates not named Savino or F Martin.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:46 AM   #1240
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If Erik Martin is hired and brings on NVE as assistant HC I would be on board with trying that out. Seems to be some legs on that being a possible option.

If it's just one or the other I am not that interested in Martin. I would prefer one of the other candidates not named Savino or F Martin.
Any idea if they interviewed with the intent of them coaching together?
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote