Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 07-28-2021, 10:09 AM   #11
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I'm wondering if Mason ends up as our backup PG this year. It sounds like DDJ's shot is looking better, but a lot of his success is off the drive. To open up driving lanes for DDJ, we may try to open the floor with shooters while he is in.

Another note I forgot to mention is that it seems that Davenport is still primarily practicing at the 4. Considering Hensley is also a shooter and seems to have good things being said about him, I wonder where Ody gets minutes. Is it possible that Ody is being groomed to play the 5 next year and is going to be mostly a bench guy this year?

Everyone seems to be happy with Wes so far and he definitely seems to be doing a great job building a family. But I just can't see how he keeps everyone happy with minutes this year. Somebody is going to be a bench warmer. My guess at this point is that McGinnis, Ody, Lahkin and Banks will not get many minutes.

Sort of unrelated note, there's a photo of Mason on twitter posted the other day (maybe yesterday) of him hitting 44" on a vertical jump.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:41 AM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I'm wondering if Mason ends up as our backup PG this year. It sounds like DDJ's shot is looking better, but a lot of his success is off the drive. To open up driving lanes for DDJ, we may try to open the floor with shooters while he is in.

Another note I forgot to mention is that it seems that Davenport is still primarily practicing at the 4. Considering Hensley is also a shooter and seems to have good things being said about him, I wonder where Ody gets minutes. Is it possible that Ody is being groomed to play the 5 next year and is going to be mostly a bench guy this year?

Everyone seems to be happy with Wes so far and he definitely seems to be doing a great job building a family. But I just can't see how he keeps everyone happy with minutes this year. Somebody is going to be a bench warmer. My guess at this point is that McGinnis, Ody, Lahkin and Banks will not get many minutes.

Sort of unrelated note, there's a photo of Mason on twitter posted the other day (maybe yesterday) of him hitting 44" on a vertical jump.
It is very interesting that DDJ is playing off ball in practice a lot. I did not see that coming because of the difficulty in putting him on the floor with Mikey. And if Davenport is still practicing at the 4 with Hensely there seems to be a logjam developing everywhere. You still have Koval, Ado, Ody, Lakhin to throw in at the 4/5.

With DDJ playing some off ball you have 4 guys who could potentially run PG. Mikey, DDJ, Mason, and MAW. DDJ playing off ball means we have essentially another wing. DDJ, Mason, MAW, Newman, McGinnis, and I will assume at times Davenport and Hensley.

I am guessing we are just trying some stuff out in practice but right now we seem to be at least 3 deep everywhere and in some or most positions 4 deep. Something has to give.

Mason is a workaholic and seems to love every bit of it. He can be put in at 1, 2, or 3 and probably will
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #13
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You think Ody will be the odd man out over Hensley?

I can't see that happening.

Hensley probably has a higher ceiling, but given Ody's experience and physical attributes I think he should at least be pegged for 15 minutes a game this season in lineups where he plays alongside Koval and Davenport.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:00 PM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
You think Ody will be the odd man out over Hensley?

I can't see that happening.

Hensley probably has a higher ceiling, but given Ody's experience and physical attributes I think he should at least be pegged for 15 minutes a game this season in lineups where he plays alongside Koval and Davenport.
Nah man. I think Ody is in a good spot. 15 minutes easy most nights and as many as 25 some nights. He can play the 4 and 5
Old 07-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #15
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Hensley is a legit 3 point shooter, Ody is not. Chad said he expects Hensley to shoot in the low-to-mid 30's from three on low volume. Not exactly great, but enough that he must be respected. Chad had some pretty glowing praise for Hensley (expects him to be better than Tari).

It depends on how well Hensley can do it other departments, but he has the size and athleticism. Style wise, if he's backing up Davenport, there's less to adjust when he's in than if Ody comes in for Davenport. I'm sure both will get playing time at the 4, but I think Hensley will get more.

We are going to have some good players who spend most of their time on the bench. I guess we have to wait and see who that will be. But if it's an offense led by DDJ, I expect a lot of drive-and-kick and a three point shooter at the 4 will be valuable. Especially if some other guys (Saunders and Newman) don't shoot it well and Ado gets the majority of minutes at the 5.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:09 PM   #16
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hensley is a legit 3 point shooter, Ody is not. Chad said he expects Hensley to shoot in the low-to-mid 30's from three on low volume. Not exactly great, but enough that he must be respected. Chad had some pretty glowing praise for Hensley (expects him to be better than Tari).

It depends on how well Hensley can do it other departments, but he has the size and athleticism. Style wise, if he's backing up Davenport, there's less to adjust when he's in than if Ody comes in for Davenport. I'm sure both will get playing time at the 4, but I think Hensley will get more.

We are going to have some good players who spend most of their time on the bench. I guess we have to wait and see who that will be. But if it's an offense led by DDJ, I expect a lot of drive-and-kick and a three point shooter at the 4 will be valuable. Especially if some other guys (Saunders and Newman) don't shoot it well and Ado gets the majority of minutes at the 5.
I believe in Hensley's physical tools but unless he makes a Davenport-like jump in his game (while simultaneously adjusting to a more physical conference), I struggle to see how he becomes a day 1 rotation player for us coming off the season he had where there was clearly a steep learning curve for him.

I don't think Miller brings in Ody, Koval, and Ado (along with keeping Lakhin) to have them all split 40 minutes/game at the 5 while Hensley is the only one backing up Davenport at the 4.

Maybe after listening to Chad's podcast I will see the vision better.

I do agree that there's going to be some talented players sitting the bench more than they'd prefer, at least at the start of the season.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:30 PM   #17
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

This has all happened a lot of times before. Someone looks good (or best) in practice but hardly ever plays. Ody is good to go. He's a man! I surely hope Hensley can give us 10 minutes though. Hard to see if Davenport and Ody in front. I understand the shooting thing. In the long run I hope Hensley can play the 3 or 4 since we are going to need scoring but we can't forget defense...it's going to be a big freaking deal.

We can mix and match lineups but we can't have 2 or more liabilities on the court on D if that is our calling card. I don't know the defensive abilities of the new guys but I am guessing Ody and Ado aren't going to have troubles with physicality. Koval maybe. Davenport is not a "banger". We either put out some "bangers" or good perimeter defenders with only one defensive slouch on the floor at a time IMO.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:36 AM   #18
waterhead
Senior Moderator

With DDJ playing off ball and Davenport playing mainly the 4 this is making my head hurt. I have to assume Lakhin's knee is not ready and that Banks (outside of early reports) will still not be a primary rotation guy.

Ado/Koval/Ody/Lakhin
Davenport/Ody/Hensley/Banks/Lakhin
Newman/Davenport/Hensley/Mason/McGinnis/MAW/Banks
DDJ/MAW/Mason/McGinnis/Newman
Mikey/DDJ/Mason/MAW

I would much rather see DDJ and Mikey at PG and Davenport playing some 3 than DDJ playing off ball and Davenport playing mainly at the 4. It really puts a log jam at a lot of spots.

Last edited by waterhead; 08-01-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
With DDJ playing off ball and Davenport playing mainly the 4 this is making my head hurt. I have to assume Lakhin's knee is not ready and that Banks (outside of early reports) will still not be a primary rotation guy.

Ado/Koval/Ody/Lakhin
Davenport/Ody/Hensley/Banks/Lakhin
Newman/Davenport/Hensley/Mason/McGinnis/MAW/Banks
DDJ/MAW/Mason/McGinnis/Newman
Mikey/DDJ/Mason/MAW

I would much rather see DDJ and Mikey at PG and Davenport playing some 3 than DDJ playing off ball and Davenport playing mainly at the 4. It really puts a log jam at a lot of spots.
It's so much easier to figure out a depth chart the other way around again assuming Lakhin and Banks are non factors.

Ado/Koval/Ody
Davenport/Ody/Hensley
Newman/Davenport/Mason/McGinnis/Hensley
MAW/Mason/McGinnis/Newman
DDJ/Mikey
Old 08-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #20
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Wes seriously plays 10-12 deep if he has the players! Might sound elementary and take time to settle into roles. I believe every player go play at least 10min
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote