Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-24-2021, 08:40 AM   #31
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
We showed that we really only have two play makers on the team, DDJ and Saunders. Lakhin will be one soon, but showed he still needs to get some experience as he had a number of freshman mistakes.

The biggest issue I see is our rebounding. Davenport is undersized and doesn't rebound well as a 4. Pair him with Ado or Koval who don't rebound particularly well as 5's and you get dominated on the glass by good rebounding teams. Ody is better, but really bad at boxing out, he's got comparable athletic ability to a Tre Scott or Gary Clark (or Tari Eason) but hasn't learned to rebound like them yet.

The other issue is lack of scoring. When you play a pair of non-threats at the same time (Newman, Ody, Ado, arguably Koval), teams can really key in on other guys who are skilled sport up shooters. It's makes it hard for guys like Davenport, Mason or MAW to get open threes. This is especially true since our ball movement isn't particularly good. I'd like to see more of Mason/Hensley for Newman and some Lakhin at the 5.

Hensley had 2 rebounds (one offensive) and a put back layup in the 4 minutes he played and has looked like a guy who can grab boards this season. I'd like to see him get more run and see what he can do.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:00 AM   #32
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
(Newman, Ody, Ado, arguably Koval), teams can really key in on other guys who are skilled sport up shooters. It's makes it hard for guys like Davenport, Mason or MAW to get open threes. This is especially true since our ball movement isn't particularly good. I'd like to see more of Mason/Hensley for Newman and some Lakhin at the 5.

I'm not putting Ody in that group, and not really Koval. The offensive killers are Ado, Newman and MAW. Newman and MAW have EFG and TS under 40 and Ado has a 35.4 turnover rate.

Ody is extremely efficient.

As MAW's usage goes up (it has climbed each season) his efficiency goes down. He's never been able to finish around the rim and now he's taking really bad long 2's. He should only shoot open catch and release 3's, but he's down to a career 32% 3 point shooter now too.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #33
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I'm not putting Ody in that group, and not really Koval. The offensive killers are Ado, Newman and MAW. Newman and MAW have EFG and TS under 40 and Ado has a 35.4 turnover rate.

Ody is extremely efficient.

As MAW's usage goes up (it has climbed each season) his efficiency goes down. He's never been able to finish around the rim and now he's taking really bad long 2's. He should only shoot open catch and release 3's, but he's down to a career 32% 3 point shooter now too.
I think Ody clearly belongs in that group. He's efficient because he doesn't take bad shots. But the only way he gets the ball in scoring position is put backs on offensive rebounds. We don't run offense for him, he can't shoot, he is not a scoring threat.

MAW I agree should be a catch and shoot guy. But when you only have 3 scorers on the court it's hard to get open catch and shoot shots.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #34
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I don't expect JD to have a game like that. I also don't expect DD to have a game like that but he has done it twice in a row now. I don't expect MAW to have a game like that. Or Vik.

But we were very close to winning that game. Mostly off night performances. That is a good sign to me that we can be competitive on off nights.

Still pretty stoked right now!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:24 AM   #35
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I think Ody clearly belongs in that group. He's efficient because he doesn't take bad shots. But the only way he gets the ball in scoring position is put backs on offensive rebounds. We don't run offense for him, he can't shoot, he is not a scoring threat.

MAW I agree should be a catch and shoot guy. But when you only have 3 scorers on the court it's hard to get open catch and shoot shots.
I don't think Ody is particularly skilled on offense but he does manage to score the ball pretty well. His ORTG is highest on the team right now for rotation players. His shooting, if we are talking about mid range 2's, so far has been pretty good. He's making 63% of his "far 2's" on Bartorvik. I don't expect him to make 3's. He's been pretty effective at the mid range hook shot so far.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #36
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

we don't run offense for him, thats right. we do it for Ado, who can't really do it.

Ody has caught the ball on the post a number of times and used his little hook shot. He has that move, and it's effective.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:12 AM   #37
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We showed that we really only have two play makers on the team, DDJ and Saunders. Lakhin will be one soon, but showed he still needs to get some experience as he had a number of freshman mistakes.

The biggest issue I see is our rebounding. Davenport is undersized and doesn't rebound well as a 4. Pair him with Ado or Koval who don't rebound particularly well as 5's and you get dominated on the glass by good rebounding teams. Ody is better, but really bad at boxing out, he's got comparable athletic ability to a Tre Scott or Gary Clark (or Tari Eason) but hasn't learned to rebound like them yet.

The other issue is lack of scoring. When you play a pair of non-threats at the same time (Newman, Ody, Ado, arguably Koval), teams can really key in on other guys who are skilled sport up shooters. It's makes it hard for guys like Davenport, Mason or MAW to get open threes. This is especially true since our ball movement isn't particularly good. I'd like to see more of Mason/Hensley for Newman and some Lakhin at the 5.

Hensley had 2 rebounds (one offensive) and a put back layup in the 4 minutes he played and has looked like a guy who can grab boards this season. I'd like to see him get more run and see what he can do.
I think if Hensley gets himself under control he could be a play maker.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #38
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
we don't run offense for him, thats right. we do it for Ado, who can't really do it.

Ody has caught the ball on the post a number of times and used his little hook shot. He has that move, and it's effective.
Ado should have ZERO plays run for him...just dish and dunk. Rebound, block and defend.

Now Koval or Lakhin? yah...let's run a play for them

Ody...I don't know right now. Would rather he just gets his stuff on the residual side. But he is pretty good at post up paint stuff. But I fear losing the ball.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:12 PM   #39
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Im cool on Newman and MAW, guarantee if Mason or Hensley was in game we would've won.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:12 PM   #40
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Play of game was that long 3 by DDJ afyer their guy hit one.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote