Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #11
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
For how much bigger we were, our rebounding wasn't great either. We were around 30% offensive rebound percentage, while they were around 25% OR%. It seems to be the theme under Miller, good to great defense and we don't turn the ball over. But our half court offense sucks and if they other team can avoid giving us fast break points and make some tough shots (or run good offense), we are in trouble. We also don't rebound nearly as well as we should given our size.
Agree. But to be fair we have a team full of mid major players, with the exception of DDJ, ody, and lahkin. So I’m not surprised we aren’t good this year.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:30 PM   #12
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Agree. But to be fair we have a team full of mid major players, with the exception of DDJ, ody, and lahkin. So I’m not surprised we aren’t good this year.
We have plenty of high major level players, the problem isn't we don't have many (if any) guys who would be one of the top guys on a high major team. We've got a bunch of guys who would be the third to sixth best player on most teams. Even Lakhin and Ody aren't great right now, they have the potential, but it's quite possible they won't reach it this year.

It also seems like we don't have a Gary Clark or Tre Scott (or Tari Eason) type who just wants the ball more and grabs key rebounds. This is the second straight game when we needed a defensive rebound after the other team missed with under a minute left and we did not get it. Our guys don't box out well and they don't crash the glass all that well.

Monmouth shot 45.3% from the field, our defense isn't consistently all that good at FG% defense either. We've had some really good games, but we've had quite a few where teams have shot well against us from the field.

What we do really well is harass the guy with the ball and force TO's. We also don't turn it over ourselves. That will keep us in a lot of games, but we need to shoot better, make our FG's and/or rebound it better to win games.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:02 PM   #13
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
We take so many bad shots...

This game was a major disappointment.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:03 AM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
We take so many bad shots...

This game was a major disappointment.
I did not get to see the game. But we have been taking 3 balls way too fast in the clock (in other games) and many of those are on the move. If we clean up the ill advised shots we should get better at making them. I can appreciate Miller letting it fly but when it's not working we have to start dialing it back. We can get a bad 3 ball up at any point in the shot clock.

I did get to see a few plays of the game early on and watched JD take a running 3 ball from the top of the key. We got the rebound for a good kick out for Mason who missed but his was a good set shot.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:17 AM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Seems to me like pairing Ody with Lakhin would be a useful pairing at 4 and 5. They are tops on the team in rebounding per 40 minutes (by a good margin) and also well ahead of the other bigs in scoring per 40 (about double). Put JD at the 3 to keep shooting on the floor and help rebound as well. DD and MAW to round it out.

Then bring in your subs as needed. Mikey, Ado, Newman, Koval and MM etc etc.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:35 AM   #16
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Ody and Lakhin have to play more... And frankly... We need to run sets through Vik in the post. He has an ability to score.

Jd takes some insanely bad shots, along with Newman. It needs to be addressed.

Mason is in some sort of slump. Not sure how to get out of it... But this team needs him making shots.

All and all I think the last two games where incredibly disappointing. Lack of rebounding. Lack of good sets on offense. Way to much iso ball...

And on top of it all our coach didn't know what was on the clock to end the game.

Just a disaster. I expect better.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:45 AM   #17
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Quote:
Ody and Lakhin have to play more... And frankly... We need to run sets through Vik in the post. He has an ability to score.

Jd takes some insanely bad shots, along with Newman. It needs to be addressed.

Mason is in some sort of slump. Not sure how to get out of it... But this team needs him making shots.

All and all I think the last two games where incredibly disappointing. Lack of rebounding. Lack of good sets on offense. Way to much iso ball...

And on top of it all our coach didn't know what was on the clock to end the game.

Just a disaster. I expect better.
I agree with your fist points. But Mason isn’t in a slump, his 3 % wasn’t good last year either. He may get hot but it doesn’t justify jacking up 7 3’s and making 1.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #18
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
I agree with your fist points. But Mason isn’t in a slump, his 3 % wasn’t good last year either. He may get hot but it doesn’t justify jacking up 7 3’s and making 1.
Mason is a shooter. He's the only guy that plays with the green light to shoot any three.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:44 AM   #19
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I'd say bad shot selection is more of a symptom of our overall bad offense than it is a main problem.

The problem is we don't run good offense. The ball doesn't move quickly, we rarely have a series of crisp passes. Instead it's pass, guy spends a couple second with the ball (probing his defender) while the defense resets and then passes it off. We don't have much of an interior game, sometimes Ody/Lakhin can create something, but Ado/Koval don't do much so teams don't have to worry about us pounding it inside. Eventually someone either forces up a three or tries to drive to the basket.

This game, some of our best offense was an objectively a bad shot (DDJ step back long two). Our lack of weapons on offense on the interior and from three makes it easy for teams to guard us. Our lack of good passing makes it even easier. There's a lot that needs fixed, not just one thing. Not sure how much that will happen this year, but let's hope Miller can do something.

I expect us to be a bad shooting team all year and take our fair share of bad shots. We can still win games though, if we defend at a high level (which we do more often than not), rebound it well on both ends (we don't, but we should be able to), force TO's and avoid TO's (which we do very well).
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #20
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Quote:
Mason is a shooter. He's the only guy that plays with the green light to shoot any three.
I want him to be. But he hasn’t proved he can make a good percentage. Probably need to back that green light off a bit.