Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-01-2021, 09:42 PM   #51
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Mason is struggling with his shot, but I think he's a decent creator and should be playing around 15 minutes to bring MAW down near 20.
Mason has his limitations but I like how he actively tries to make plays when he's in the game.

As erratic as he was last season, we desperately miss Keith's facilitation abilities from the wing. Newman is giving us a fraction of his production while playing nearly the same amount of minutes as he did last year.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:08 PM   #52
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Hard to complain about our game when AAU Mega Squad Memphis just lost to (what I thought was) a very average Georgia team that was 2-5 going into tonight.
Yeah, all things considered we may have just picked up another quality win.

Wichita St got a nice road win at Oklahoma St and SMU destroyed UNLV. Hopefully those two and UCF can end up in the top 75.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:30 AM   #53
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Damn right they are! That just just proves my point. If an offensively challenged player like Ado can score 14 points on 6-7 shooting why on earth are they shooting 33 three pointers when you are ranked 308th in 3 point fg %?

So far a lot is left to be desired on the coaching side. I know Wes has been talking a good game but being objective he isn't looking too great from a in-game coaching perspective. Looked good against Illinois, looked bad too often elsewhere. Still way, way too early and I'm still a believer but it's time to put some sort of offense and instill some discipline in the players.
I agree on disciplined shooting. But we should have been lobbing the ball into 7 footers all night. Maybe a couple get tipped away but the height advantage was significant. We could not dribble drive so we need to pass the ball to the post. That should be a drill we practice for the next week and see which wings can hit the post at the right time and place. There is usually a short window when they get position. If the D doubles down we pass it back out for the set 3.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #54
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Mason has his limitations but I like how he actively tries to make plays when he's in the game.

As erratic as he was last season, we desperately miss Keith's facilitation abilities from the wing. Newman is giving us a fraction of his production while playing nearly the same amount of minutes as he did last year.
Newman does a lot of good things in the rebounding and defense department, but on O he doesn't do much (though at least he doesn't take bad threes). I wonder if part of our issue getting it inside is not having a guy who is big enough to see over the defense. It's Saunders and DDJ doing the play making and they aren't exactly the tallest guys, though DDJ started going pretty well hitting the guy down low in the second half.

I agree on Mason, find a way to give him more minutes (possibly at the expense of MAW). He's a guy you can tell is close to being a play-maker. He looks to drive and sees the floor well. He's still got that young guy look though where he's a step slow, or slightly late making a decision, but he will figure it out at some point.

The trick to the season is going to find a way to develop and work in the potential play makers (Mason, Ody, Hensley, Lakhin) who aren't there yet. Step one I think is getting Koval off the floor, we don't need a 7 footer who just wants to stand around and jack up threes.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #55
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Newman does a lot of good things in the rebounding and defense department, but on O he doesn't do much (though at least he doesn't take bad threes). I wonder if part of our issue getting it inside is not having a guy who is big enough to see over the defense. It's Saunders and DDJ doing the play making and they aren't exactly the tallest guys, though DDJ started going pretty well hitting the guy down low in the second half.

I agree on Mason, find a way to give him more minutes (possibly at the expense of MAW). He's a guy you can tell is close to being a play-maker. He looks to drive and sees the floor well. He's still got that young guy look though where he's a step slow, or slightly late making a decision, but he will figure it out at some point.

The trick to the season is going to find a way to develop and work in the potential play makers (Mason, Ody, Hensley, Lakhin) who aren't there yet. Step one I think is getting Koval off the floor, we don't need a 7 footer who just wants to stand around and jack up threes.
Koval is probably the best example of a high floor-low ceiling player on the roster right now. He'll defend the rim, hit the occasional 3, finish the occasional bunny and never turn the ball over. Otherwise, we can't expect much more from him.

We definitely need to find a way to maximize the abilities of our more dynamic bigs if we're going to reach our full potential.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:55 AM   #56
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Ado has been playing pretty well lately. That rebound he had late in game when he slid between 2 Miami guys grabbed the ball and hit the floor was a BIG rebound for us and our chances of winning the game. He's been very active lately. Starting to understand what Wes saw in practice and why he starts. He's got a lot of energy and it's starting to show and I like it!

If he played 25 mpg I could see him closing in on double double territory or at least 8 and 8.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #57
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Ado has been playing pretty well lately. That rebound he had late in game when he slid between 2 Miami guys grabbed the ball and hit the floor was a BIG rebound for us and our chances of winning the game. He's been very active lately. Starting to understand what Wes saw in practice and why he starts. He's got a lot of energy and it's starting to show and I like it!

If he played 25 mpg I could see him closing in on double double territory or at least 8 and 8.
In the last 5 games Ado has played 83 minutes (avg 16.5) and Koval 75 (avg 15).

Ado

Blocks 12
Rebounds 25
Steals 5
TO's 3
Pts 29

Koval

Blocks 4
Rebounds 15
Steals 0
TO's 1
Pts 18
Old 12-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #58
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Someone outside of our guards and bigs needs to drive the ball to the basket, on the regular basis.

The lack of courage to drive the ball to the basket, can be attributed to the lack of our wing players being able to dribble the ball with confidence.

It's like why pack on muscle , just to shoot 3 point shots......

I think our Free throw % would increase, if our players with driving ability, actually would drive to the basket.

I'd rather see drives to the basket, than hoisting up a ton of 3's.

A Keith W. type would average 30pts easy, with half the 30 coming off Free Throw attempts lol.

Somebody's light bulb needs to come on, and realize they could be than man on this team by driving that ball.

Hensley has shown flashes, but he gets no time. Mason has a 70in vertical for what lol?

We are still winning, but please someone 6'4 or taller wake up and drive that ball. Working on your handle is personal.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #59
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
MAW is shooting 28% on the season and taking 9 shots a game.

Maybe you can play one of MAW and Newman, but having them on the court together gives you absolutely no shot on offense. And maybe you could play them both if the other 3 guys could score and create for themselves. But we don't have any of those pieces.

MAW at most should have the Justin Jenifer role of standing in the corner and taking wide open catch and release 3's. He should never take a shot after he's dribbled the ball.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #60
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
MAW's shot looks broken to me. It's really flat. I can't remember if it has always been like that.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote