Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #1331
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Look, I'm not saying that Martin or Van Exel have the perfect resume, or are known commodities as far as HC's. But neither is this guy. He's an absolute nobody, with zero connections to the city and zero name recognition. Why are some diminish are own former players by tearing down their resumes while simulataneously going out of their way to hold this guy's up? It makes no sense.

This guy has accomplished dick-all. He has no real head coaching experience. He has no recuruiting experience. He has no name recognition. And he offers nothing to get the fanbase energized.

But...but...but... he's young! The analytics! Erik and Nick don't know analytics like this kid!
Those of us beating the analytics drum prefer a candidate who has proven he can implement it at the college level. That's why we throw out names like Casey Alexander. Don't act like we've all been pining for Nored. We're only talking about him because it seems like he and Martin are the last two candidates on the short list.

I have pointed out the virtues and flaws of both candidates. I'm not tearing down one guy and putting the other on a pedestal. Yes, I prefer someone who will rely heavily on analytics to implement a modern style of basketball. I'm upfront about that. It doesn't mean I don't think Martin and NVE can do it. I just think Nored has a profile that shows he's better equipped to coach a winning basketball team. There's nothing emotional or vindictive about that. Martin might be able to do even better, especially if he can recruit better. I'll support whoever we hire.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #1332
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Where did Ronald Nored come from? Forgive me if I missed it, I just had a 12 hour shift at the hospital so I am a little behind on things. Did Chad mention him somewhere? I listened to Mo Egger yesterday and Erik was in contract negotiations so I assumed it was a done deal and they were waiting to announce in respect to Darrin Davenport? Did I miss something?
I think Chad jumped the gun a bit. Multiple candidates can have second interviews and contract negotiations.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #1333
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This guy is a "rising star" because he interviewed for Minnesota job and didn't get it?

You do know that the guy who got the Minnesota job (Ben Johnson) was Travis Steele's assistant, right?

So this guy, who is a "rising star" lost out on a job to Travis Steeles 4th assistant (how you term non assistant HC's), and that's supposed to be a huge feather in his cap?

Look, I'm not saying that Martin or Van Exel have the perfect resume, or are known commodities as far as HC's. But neither is this guy. He's an absolute nobody, with zero connections to the city and zero name recognition. Why are some diminish are own former players by tearing down their resumes while simulataneously going out of their way to hold this guy's up? It makes no sense.

This guy has accomplished dick-all. He has no real head coaching experience. He has no recuruiting experience. He has no name recognition. And he offers nothing to get the fanbase energized.

But...but...but... he's young! The analytics! Erik and Nick don't know analytics like this kid!
I never once said he’s a “raising star”. I’m like you, I had no idea who the guy was. But I also had no idea who half of these guys were. I watch a lot of college basketball but I do not know most of the assistant coaches or “rising stars” in the college basketball field. I just don’t rule it out because I have no idea who the guy was. I like the idea of something different
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #1334
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
There are probably going to be more Nate Oates type guys. Plenty of them will bust. Some of them might be really good.
Nate Oats - 46
Erik Martin - 49
Nick Van Exel - 49
Ronald Nored - 31

One of these is not like the others.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #1335
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Nate Oats - 46
Erik Martin - 49
Nick Van Exel - 49
Ronald Nored - 31

One of these is not like the others.
The idea would be getting a Nate oats or great coach early. Age doesn’t really matter to me
Old 04-13-2021, 11:08 AM   #1336
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

No one is saying Martin and Van Exel are too old. I'm saying Nored is a rising star because multiple NBA organizations have promoted him to coaching positions in his 20's. He's on a track that could see him become an NBA head coach around age 40, like Borrego. I don't think NVE is on that trajectory, no matter his age.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:08 AM   #1337
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
The idea would be getting a Nate oats or great coach early. Age doesn’t really matter to me

Right, age doesn’t really matter. Nobody is saying Martin or NVE are too old. The point was simply younger coaches are more likely to be in tune with the modern game. That’s all.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:28 AM   #1338
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Those of us beating the analytics drum prefer a candidate who has proven he can implement it at the college level. That's why we throw out names like Casey Alexander.
I just don't understand why it's automaticalluy assumed one NBA assistant coach (Nored) knows analytics while another NBA assistant coach (Van Exel) may not.

The only explanation I've gotten is that Nored coached with Brad Stevens for 2 years and that he's 31 vs. Van Exel's 49.

I'm not even sure why're were assuming Erik Martin has no experience in analytics. I find hard to believe that in over a decade and a half of coaching experience, with the bulk of it coming under the tutelage of one of the greatest college coaches of all time, that they haven't incorperated at some level.

To each their own, but I think the analytics angle is way overemphaized. Analytics is already built into coaching strategies, without ever assigning a name to it.

Analytics is what drives someone like David Bell to pull a starting pitcher after only 5 or 6 innings of 1 run baseball, to then have his middle relievers get absolutely blown the f up.

I'm not saying it doesn't have a place in sports, but acting like it should be your primary trait in looking for a HC seems a bit much. It seems like people watched Money Ball one too many times, and forget that most of all those same old basketball coaches are still kicking ass. They may have created a marriage between old school and new school, but in no way are the analytics guys. (Boeheim, Coach K, Izzo, , Huggins, Caliapri, Self, Barnes, Pitino, etc.)

Tom Izzo will shove John Brannen's dorky analytics ass into locker and run his out of the gym by at least 20 points. Kelvin Sampon and his old ass, hit the glass coaching just beat us twice by a combined scored of like 95 points.

And Brannen being big analytics guy, how'd that work out? Casey Alexander seems like a pretty similar type of hire to me (HC success at Little Sisters of the Poor + analytics guy)

You know who's not an analytics guy? Mick Cronin. Dude just made the Final Four. His replacement, who was, is now looking for a new job.

Last edited by MDW79; 04-13-2021 at 11:35 AM.
MDW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #1339
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

We have very different philosophies on sports management. I'll leave it at that.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #1340
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
I just don't understand why it's automaticalluy assumed one NBA assistant coach (Nored) knows analytics while another NBA assistant coach (Van Exel) may not.

The only explanation I've gotten is that Nored coached with Brad Stevens for 2 years and that he's 31 vs. Van Exel's 49.

I'm not even sure why're were assuming Erik Martin has no experience in analytics. I find hard to believe that in over a decade and a half of coaching experience, with the bulk of it coming under the tutelage of one of the greatest college coaches of all time, that they haven't incorperated at some level.

To each their own, but I think the analytics angle is way overemphaized. Analytics is already built into coaching strategies, without ever assigning a name to it.

Analytics is what drives someone like David Bell to pull a starting pitcher after only 5 or 6 innings of 1 run baseball, to then have his middle relievers get absolutely blown the f up.

I'm not saying it doesn't have a place in sports, but acting like it should be your primary trait in looking for a HC seems a bit much. It seems like people watched Money Ball one too many times, and forget that most of all those same old basketball coaches are still kicking ass. They may have created a marriage between old school and new school, but in no way are the analytics guys. (Boeheim, Coach K, Izzo, , Huggins, Caliapri, Self, Barnes, Pitino, etc.)

Tom Izzo will shove John Brannen's dorky analytics ass into locker and run his out of the gym by at least 20 points. Kelvin Sampon and his old ass, hit the glass coaching just beat us twice by a combined scored of like 95 points.

And Brannen being big analytics guy, how'd that work out? Casey Alexander seems like a pretty similar type of hire to me (HC success at Little Sisters of the Poor + analytics guy)

You know who's not an analytics guy? Mick Cronin. Dude just made the Final Four. His replacement, who was, is now looking for a new job.
Mick cronin is at UCLA. He can get great players. He couldn’t go to the the final four here. Might have helped him to be an analytics guy.