Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #231
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
MAW is a fine bench player but really that's his limit. I'm afraid its the same for Davenport. They are both low ceiling guys. Harvey was the only one with a high ceiling.
Good to have you back, bringin' some stats.

Davenport is a strange player. He seems versatile, but really that's because he doesn't have a natural position. He's not quick or skilled enough to play the 3. He undersized at the 4. But he can contribute at both positions. Sure, in a perfect world I'd wipe the roster and upgrade everywhere. But looking at what we need next year, an upgrade over MAW would be my focus other than a 5.

This team would look very different offensively if DeJulius was even an average shooter. I don't know if he will come around or not.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:52 AM   #232
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

I would like to see some of Lakhin this year just to get a feel for what he can bring. Maybe we can count on him for something next year. I have no idea.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #233
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I would like to see some of Lakhin this year just to get a feel for what he can bring. Maybe we can count on him for something next year. I have no idea.

Not holding my breath with this one
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:25 PM   #234
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Davenport is a strange player. He seems versatile, but really that's because he doesn't have a natural position. He's not quick or skilled enough to play the 3. He undersized at the 4. But he can contribute at both positions. Sure, in a perfect world I'd wipe the roster and upgrade everywhere. But looking at what we need next year, an upgrade over MAW would be my focus other than a 5.

This team would look very different offensively if DeJulius was even an average shooter. I don't know if he will come around or not.

Davenport got hot there for a couple games but he's going to have to be a good 3 point shooter to bring value and cut down the turnovers. he's at 29% shooting the 3 in conference. limited sample of course, but I gotta see guys prove they can shoot before believing they can do it.

How much better would this team look with a Jaevin type player? I mean just anybody the other team has to guard outside the 3 point line.

I'm sad about losing Harvey, but if we can replace him with a less athletic player that can shoot I think the trade could be beneficial. Harvey was never going to be a shooter with that arc he puts on all his shots. If Gabe can come back and shoot a bit, plus a transfer that can shoot, and a strong pnr center on both ends, we could be ok next season.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:39 PM   #235
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

If Gabe or Mason can't take significant minutes from MAW next year then I would agree we need a wing transfer. As of now Mason kind of does the same type of thing MAW does. Gabe was far from ready on defense so I guess the logical thing would be to say...we likely will need an impact wing. But if we are looking at scoring...I would think Gabe can do just as well as what Mason has been giving us and likely better. We need a scorer and defender though so there is no clear cut solution right now on the team.

MAW should be back up PG and SG.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #236
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yes it would be nice to plug him in for a few games to see just how much help we need at the 5
Old 02-17-2021, 12:49 PM   #237
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Davenport got hot there for a couple games but he's going to have to be a good 3 point shooter to bring value and cut down the turnovers. he's at 29% shooting the 3 in conference. limited sample of course, but I gotta see guys prove they can shoot before believing they can do it.
Davenport is confident shooter with a decent stroke and a high release. So I'll take his numbers for what they are at this point. Yeah, he had a couple hot games early, but also had a dud 0-6 in conference. Overall I'd say 33% is about what we can expect. And that's not terrible from a guy playing the 4 who also contributes in other areas.

I think MAW is very one-dimensional. He's basically just a spot up shooter, and I think the Madsens can do that job better. MAW shot 37% last year though, so between the three of them we can probably expect ok shooting and not much else. I like Mason's defense better than MAW.

The shooting problems mostly fall on DeJulius and Williams. They're shooting 24% combined, on more attempts than Davenport and MAW combined. They both have ORtgs below 98 with usages above 20 (almost 30 for Keith). You can't have a good offense with those numbers.

Williams is a good player, but I agree that we can replace his production with an off ball shooter. DeJulius is fine as a creator and shouldn't be a shoot first player anyway.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #238
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

How much better would this team look with a Jaevin type player? I mean just anybody the other team has to guard outside the 3 point line.

I'm sad about losing Harvey, but if we can replace him with a less athletic player that can shoot I think the trade could be beneficial. Harvey was never going to be a shooter with that arc he puts on all his shots. If Gabe can come back and shoot a bit, plus a transfer that can shoot, and a strong pnr center on both ends, we could be ok next season.
I think it was inevitable that Davenport would come down to Earth but Harvey and MAW were both starting to find their shots for both of them in their last 6 games. Still small sample...but improving by a lot.

If Davenport can make 30% as a 4 I think that's fine. But as a 3 I would rather see him 35% plus. At this point I would rather see him back up the 3 and 4 but that depends on Tari and others.

Mason and Gabe are both considered to be good shooters. How they translate to this level is hard to predict but we could have the shooters we need on the team now. Mason was in the games late for FT's because he is automatic in practice (reportedly)...but practice and games are different. I think these two have the confidence to drain open shots and FT's. My main concern is who is going to drive the ball from the wing after Williams and Harvey are gone?
Old 02-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #239
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
My main concern is who is going to drive the ball from the wing after Williams and Harvey are gone?
DeJulius will be doing the penetrating if we get a couple shooters. Pnr teams to death.

I dont think driving the ball should be a huge concern from the wing. Shooters allow back cuts and easier driving lanes.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:39 PM   #240
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
I wonder if we could get any of those Indiana guys if Archie gets fired. The Moller kid or the two wings we were in on last year. I know the wings aren’t doing great but they were higher rated. Something to keep an eye on
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote