Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-22-2022, 05:37 PM   #21
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
@skyblade, I seen your post on other site. I agree and JD has got his minutes took for one of FR. Nolly has mental lapse but you can't have him off floor.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:38 PM   #22
brothers24

brothers24 is on a distinguished road
"Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"= INSANITY!!! We need answers and lot of them now. What goes on in practice?! We have zero identity, I bet all we do in practice is run 5v5 streetball and tell everyone in the summer that we look so much better than last year and everyone is improving hahaha this team and coaching staff is laughable
brothers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:04 PM   #23
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Absolutely embarrassing on all accords.

Proof that the NKU loss was a not a 'fluke of a bad shooting night'.

We are a bad team.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:05 PM   #24
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I'm not seeing it from Nolley. He disengages, is poor at rebounding and not that good on defense. You could argue we don't have anyone better, but we do at least have guys who will give it their all. His point-forward abilities seem to have been vastly overstated.

Nolley seems to be what Memphis fans said he was, a streaky shooter who pouts when things don't go his way.

It's hard to start two undersized guards (MAW, DDJ) a poor rebounder (Davenport) and an even worse rebounder (Nolley) and have success. Something needs to change.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:19 PM   #25
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Davenport and Nolley are basically the same player, as are MAW and Phinisee. So much of our roster is one dimensional players. We can't win with terrible guard play and only one post presence. Especially with a coach who has never had an efficient offense.

This season is already about lost. Even if we manage a miraculous turnaround, we have very few quality win chances remaining. I want to see as much of Skillings, Reed, and Hensley as possible.

I assumed Hensley was hurt, but then he played the last couple minutes?
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:28 PM   #26
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Davenport and Nolley are basically the same player, as are MAW and Phinisee. So much of our roster is one dimensional players. We can't win with terrible guard play and only one post presence. Especially with a coach who has never had an efficient offense.

This season is already about lost. Even if we manage a miraculous turnaround, we have very few quality win chances remaining. I want to see as much of Skillings, Reed, and Hensley as possible.

I think he's been benched because his rebounding has sucked. His rebound percentage is worse than Nolley's (and Davenport's). Skillings/Reed are the two best rebounding wings, so they've been getting the minutes as backups.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:38 PM   #27
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:

And not one of them can consistently drive the ball to the basket and make a play. Our options are throw it around the perimeter or try to post up Lakhin.

MAW flashes more ability to drive than anyone else (besides Skillings), but not nearly often enough.

DDJ, Nolley and Davenport are lost if teams play them tight and dare them to drive the ball.

Lakhin is our best player, but can't carry the load by himself.

I'm on board with playing Skillings, Reed and Hensley more minutes (perhaps Ody too). It might be ugly at times, but they'll at least give it their all and get on the glass.

I'm tired of watching players (especially Davenport and Nolley) who don't play hard and don't want to battle for the ball. Wes needs to set a culture of giving it your all on every play, if that means benching Davenport and Nolley, so be it.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:18 PM   #28
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I think he's been benched because his rebounding has sucked. His rebound percentage is worse than Nolley's (and Davenport's). Skillings/Reed are the two best rebounding wings, so they've been getting the minutes as backups.
I get it, but Hensley has at least some potential with his size and athleticism. He plays hard and has two years left. Ody seems to have hit his ceiling already and Kalu is done after this year. Give me Hensley instead. I'll take some growing pains.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:43 PM   #29
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
I get it, but Hensley has at least some potential with his size and athleticism. He plays hard and has two years left. Ody seems to have hit his ceiling already and Kalu is done after this year. Give me Hensley instead. I'll take some growing pains.
I agree, though Ody I think has some potential. He showed some ability to finish around the rim this game and last year. His big struggle is on defense.

There were also reports that Hensley played through a bad ankle against EKU. Though you'd think if he were hurt he just wouldn't be playing at all. But maybe it's something that keeps him from going 100% and Wes figures Hensley at less than 100% isn't good enough to play.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:03 PM   #30
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

I feel like Ody is a tweener who isn't strong enough for the 5 and doesn't have enough perimeter skills for the 4. Hensley is in the same boat. The roster has so many holes that's it's tough to win no matter what combo we throw out there. We really need a strategist to overcome that, but that's hopeless too.