Refs figured out how to make duke win
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #143
Quadri's #1 fan

Quadri's #1 fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Refs figured out how to make duke win
Yeah not the missed alley oop or both misses on the final possession. Totally the refs.

I'm inclined to believe that UCF just blew the game themselves.
Quadri's #1 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #144
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Man, the refs let Zion do anything... hammer guys, double dribble, nothing called against him. Guess he is so good they don’t want to call anything on him.
Yeah it is just like when Jabari played there.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #145
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadri's #1 fan View Post
Yeah not the missed alley oop or both misses on the final possession. Totally the refs.

We’d be upset the push in the back wasn’t called on that offensive rebound.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #146
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
There does come a time when maybe the school and the coach need fresh starts. I just mean this in general. We saw it play out with Marvin Lewis.

It doesn’t always work out for both sides either. Using the Rick Barnes example he had a run of 2 sweet 16s, 2 elite 8s and a final 4 in a 7 year span. Then the next 7 years didn’t get out of the first weekend. The fresh start worked out great for Barnes, sometimes it’s just not the school that need a change.
If March was the only barometer of success, then I would agree. But in my opinion March games are random and will revert to a long term average that matches how good a team really is. Cronin and Barnes have both had very good teams, but didn't have things go their way in March for almost a decade. Maybe Barnes' sweet sixteen this year is due to a "fresh start", or maybe he would have done the same or even better at Texas. There's no way to know.I'd rather play the odds that Cronin's good teams will have luck swing their way than the odds that we'll end up with a coach that's better than him.

I don't put as much emphasis on March as most people though. March Madness is my favorite event because of the randomness and small schools going up against powerhouses. I'll still love it even if my team sucks. But single elimination tournaments aren't a very good way of determining a true best team, exciting as they are. The sample size is way too small. In European soccer, finishing at the top of the standings is more prestigious than winning the cup. It just depends on how you look at it.

Last edited by sedziobs; 03-24-2019 at 07:04 PM.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #147
Quadri's #1 fan

Quadri's #1 fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
We’d be upset the push in the back wasn’t called on that offensive rebound.
I'm sure we would. I didn't notice it, but still UCF blew it.
Quadri's #1 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #148
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Tacko should have just mugged Zion on that play. Zion at the free throw line down 3 with 14 seconds left is a good situation.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:11 PM   #149
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
If March was the only barometer of success, then I would agree. But in my opinion March games are random and will revert to a long term average that matches how good a team really is. Cronin and Barnes have both had very good teams, but didn't have things go their way in March for almost a decade. Maybe Barnes' sweet sixteen this year is due to a "fresh start", or maybe he would have done the same or even better at Texas. There's no way to know.
Texas really fell off his last 7 years there. They only went above .500 in conference once his last 4 years there. Something just wasn’t working. Shaka hasn’t had success either as you noted.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:20 PM   #150
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadri's #1 fan View Post

All you had to do was watch the game. Zion got away with a charge, push in the back on the rebound, and then a foul on the last play. If UCF did any of those things the refs would have blew the whistle. They let Duke hack Tacko all game
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote