Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #171
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If Keith or Jarron only had to beat one man and then nobody else between them and the rim...they could do that all night. But the other teams collapse have help waiting and we rarely pass back out on drives like that except for times when we have to end up behind the backboard and have no outlet. When we run into 2 defenders at the rim after beating the guy guarding you...there should be 1 or 2 guys wide open. But we go in and get a charge call or put up some wild shot that has no chance of going in or get blocked or turn it over.
Yeah, the help defense is the biggest difference. Other teams play help defense, when Williams/Jarron beats their man off the drive there are 1/2 other guys waiting to stop them. When our guy gets beat off the drive, there's no one waiting and it leads to an easy layup.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #172
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
would look a bit different if we had 2 non perpetrators that were great shooters. imagine jaevin in all the time and then another jaevin. that would spread the defense out.

but as it is, if jarron has the ball, and jaevin isn't it, you dont need to defense outside at all. teams are sagging off preventing passes to Vogt. sagging off stopping drives. jaevin has 13 3's in his last 4 healthy games, but we have nobody else that can shoot.
I'd take Jaevin and Jarron shooting threes over any two guys on UCF (or on the majority of other teams). If the other team has great shooters, you don't help off of them. UCF had plenty of guys who don't shoot it well from three.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:55 AM   #173
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Our rim protection was bad last night, but to me the biggest issue is turnovers have returned to what they were early in the season. Our average turnover rate in the last two games is 26.9, up from 16.6 in the previous seven games.
Turnovers have been the biggest issue all years. I don’t care want kind of defense you play, you can’t give the other team 20 extra possessions for free.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #174
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I'd take Jaevin and Jarron shooting threes over any two guys on UCF (or on the majority of other teams). If the other team has great shooters, you don't help off of them. UCF had plenty of guys who don't shoot it well from three.
then you dont know their roster. milon is a better lifetime shooter than jaevin in over 100 more attempts.

green is a great shooter, he's only a freshman, but the kid can shoot.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #175
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Hardnett would be nothing more than another Davenport (who I love). But to say Hardnett would add that much more depth to this team is weird. He is barley doing anything at Buffalo. At the end of the day id rather have Harvey than Hardnett… Just my opinion of course. The biggest loss right now is Brooks, he was a great rim protector who saved a lot of defenders who got beat off the dribble, Vogt doesn't do that. In hindsight it would of been better to keep Hardnett and not bring in Sorolla.
I agree, Brooks was a huge loss. But Brannen needs to find a way to make it work.

Vogt does reasonably well at rim protection if he stays in the paint. He just doesn't have the mobility to help/recover once he is out of the paint. Which is why I think he'd do at least okay it the middle of a zone.

Against teams where the 5 can shoot, Vogt gets pulled out of the paint, provides no help defense and nobody else fills the void. It's a strategy teams have utilized against us all season and we still don't have an answer. It's very hard to play straight up man to man defense and receive no help.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #176
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Our rim protection was bad last night, but to me the biggest issue is turnovers have returned to what they were early in the season. Our average turnover rate in the last two games is 26.9, up from 16.6 in the previous seven games.

yeah and in those 7 games our offensive efficiency was sky high (16th in the country).
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #177
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Yeah, the help defense is the biggest difference. Other teams play help defense, when Williams/Jarron beats their man off the drive there are 1/2 other guys waiting to stop them. When our guy gets beat off the drive, there's no one waiting and it leads to an easy layup.
I miss the times Jarron would go in the lane and throw a 2 hand overhand pass back out to a waiting 3 point shooter. It seems he's forgotten that play all together lately. He also doesn't drive much in the first half and does it all the time in the 2nd...especially last 10 minutes.

I was criticized when I said we need a plan B in late games over just letting Jarron freight train the lane. And that other teams would know exactly what was coming and have a working plan for it. You can't throw floaters in at full speed and you can't just bull doze the defense. Need more control out of him and better decision making. More kickouts and dishes.

He also needs to value the ball more...he's getting careless with many passes. He still throws a lot of good one's but he needs to get back down to around 3 turnovers.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #178
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Horrible loss... Season over
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:30 AM   #179
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I’m not even mad any more.

I’ve picked up new winter hobbies.

That said. I have a great deal for anyone who wants to see the WSU game from a center court 4 top table with access to the champions club.

Figured I’d offer to Bearcats fans first so I don’t have to have WSU fans in fifth third.

Paid 125 each ticket. Willing to take a loss on the money though: send me a DM.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #180
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
what about the times vs houston, memphis, temple when he made no adjustments but the effort level went up and the defense shut those teams down the last 10 minutes.

we can't live in a world where those things didn't happen. you've seen your team finally get it right with the same exact defense against far better teams and players.

are we to say "ok coach, that worked against good teams, but you really need to try something different against these bad teams."
That's why as a coach you need to demand players give 40 minutes of effort, every game. Huggins and Cronin didn't accept lack of effort. Players could miss shot or make mistakes, but if they weren't giving it their all on defense and rebounding they were coming out of the game.

The "turn it on when we need to" method leads to a lot of close games and more than our fair share of close (and bad) losses.