Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #181
Gaaangs

Gaaangs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
So Jarron, the guy making 0 dollars is taking the blame for this loss

But you guys think the guy making over a million a year shouldn’t take any?

Johnny Dawkins abused John Brannen last night. He exploited his aweful defensive system and made it look pitiful. Does Brannen adjust ? Nope. He’s as stubborn as our last coach
What in the world does how much money you make have to do with anything? I don't see the logic in that...
Gaaangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #182
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
That's why as a coach you need to demand players give 40 minutes of effort, every game. Huggins and Cronin didn't accept lack of effort. Players could miss shot or make mistakes, but if they weren't giving it their all on defense and rebounding they were coming out of the game.

The "turn it on when we need to" method leads to a lot of close games and more than our fair share of close (and bad) losses.
i mean do you think he doesn't teach effort all the time?

you know when you have to accept it? when you have 0 subs for the 4/5 spot. when you have 8 playable players on the roster (7 when diarra is playing like he's been playing).

brannen said after the game he wants to pull guys out for not boxing out, there just aren't any players to put in for them.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #183
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
This was originally meant to be a stat about our lack of effort this year, but since you all know I dislike Vogt, I will use him as the starting point.

In conference this year, Chris Vogt averages 7.4 TRB/40 minutes, only 2 players average more than him (Scott 13.3 and Diarra 10.9).

Last year, we had 6 players averaging more than 7.4 TRB/40 minutes in conference. They were, in order from highest to lowest: Brooks, Diarra, Fredericks, Scott, Nsoseme and Logan Johnson.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #184
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaaangs View Post
What in the world does how much money you make have to do with anything? I don't see the logic in that...
Imagine a world where grown men place all their blame on unpaid college athletes because their favorite team failed to entertain them.

If the lakers fail, fine talk shit about lebron. He makes 30 million. But the pressures and shit talk that comes from fans in regards to players is insane.

like for example... some people talk so much crap about Chris McNeal. But Chris McNeal is who he is. It’s the coach who inserts him into the game at the worst times that’s the issue.

I try my best to not harp on player performance too much. And even when I do, I usually expect the coaches, who are paid and should be wearing the most pressure to resolve it.

Chris Vogt can’t help that he moves slow. So our coach should do something to scheme around it

Last edited by justinhub2003; 02-20-2020 at 11:17 AM.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #185
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Vogt's defensive rebounding % is down to 10.6 in conference.

thats behind Jarron, Keith, McNeal.

really no excuse for that.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #186
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
This was originally meant to be a stat about our lack of effort this year, but since you all know I dislike Vogt, I will use him as the starting point.

In conference this year, Chris Vogt averages 7.4 TRB/40 minutes, only 2 players average more than him (Scott 13.3 and Diarra 10.9).

Last year, we had 6 players averaging more than 7.4 TRB/40 minutes in conference. They were, in order from highest to lowest: Brooks, Diarra, Fredericks, Scott, Nsoseme and Logan Johnson.
The per 40 stats are pointless for guys that barely play.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #187
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i mean do you think he doesn't teach effort all the time?

you know when you have to accept it? when you have 0 subs for the 4/5 spot. when you have 8 playable players on the roster (7 when diarra is playing like he's been playing).

brannen said after the game he wants to pull guys out for not boxing out, there just aren't any players to put in for them.
Brannen seems much more willing to just accept poor defense, rebounding and boxing out than Cronin/Huggins would be.

Was it Huggins who pulled out players and put in the walk-on's at one point?

You don't have to sit a guy for an extended period, but pull him and sit him for a couple minutes to make a point (or to give him rest if he needs it). Having Harvey, Diarra, Davenport or even McNeal play for a few minutes isn't going to be the end of the world.

Brannen is less willing than almost any coach I've seen to put backups in during the second half of close games and it ends up with our starters not having the energy they need.

It's too late now, but as I said at the time and continue to say. Brannen should have put more effort into developing backups during the relatively easy early season games. We had multiple games where starters were playing 30+ minutes in 10+ point wins against Q3/Q4 teams. Those are the games you use to develop depth.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #188
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Vogt's defensive rebounding % is down to 10.6 in conference.

thats behind Jarron, Keith, McNeal.

really no excuse for that.
He can’t move at all. That’s a decent excuse
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:35 AM   #189
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
The per 40 stats are pointless for guys that barely play.
Yes, the low playing time makes the numbers more variable. But I'd argue it's largely a reflection of the fact that Cronin demanded energy, rebounding and defense out of his backups. If you don't defend and rebound when Cronin puts you in, you aren't going to play.

Besides Cane Broome, backups were expected to rebound. Even the worse rebounding backups - Trevor Moore and Keith Williams - averaged 4.1 and 4.2 rebounds per 40 respectively.

This year in conference, Davenport averages 2.6, Harvey 2.5 and MAW 3.4 per 40. Harvey and Davenport are both capable of being way better at rebounding than that.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #190
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
3 predictions for next year:

* top 3 worst defense in AAC play
* top 3 worst free throw shooting in AAC play
* worst rebounding team in the league next year

I hope I’m wrong.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote