Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #271
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Here’s the different between Quadri and Diarra

Quadri played in a Matchup zone where mick could hide poor defenders.

But in this system it’s far less hiding and way more one on one defense. So Diarra’s numbers would be much more accurate.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Diarra is better defender than Vogt. It’s not close.

But that doesn’t mean he should play over Vogt.

That said, Vogt was an impact player in this league before the teams in it figured out his tendencies. He went from looking like a first team all league guy, to now the 4th option on this team.

I believe in the synergy numbers. They are the most in depth possession by possession stats that you can purchase, and it’s the se stuff that coaches use.

But anything In small sample size is deceiving. Diarra makes a crap ton of mistakes but they usually revolve the offensive end. He may make a poor rotation every now and again, but In general, if your try to score on Diarra it isn’t going to go well
I agree, I knew Diarra was a much better defender than Vogt well before you posted the synergy numbers. The numbers just confirm what I saw and what I'd been saying.

Just watch the games, teams consistently target Vogt and our defensive provides help to Vogt. Diarra makes more mental errors, but he is the much better defender (and much better rebounder).
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:20 PM   #272
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I agree, I knew Diarra was a much better defender than Vogt well before you posted the synergy numbers. The numbers just confirm what I saw and what I'd been saying.

Just watch the games, teams consistently target Vogt and our defensive provides help to Vogt. Diarra makes more mental errors, but he is the much better defender (and much better rebounder).
But the mental errors are impossible to overcome. Constantly out of position. I would say at least a third of the time he is in he is playing in a 1-3-1
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #273
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
But the mental errors are impossible to overcome. Constantly out of position. I would say at least a third of the time he is in he is playing in a 1-3-1
As I said earlier, he was +6 against UCF in the first half, when everyone said he played terrible. He does a lot right and it makes up for a lot of the mistakes. One example is both his TO's were off his own offensive rebounds - a good play and a mistake that cancel each other out and net no real impact.

He can obviously play much better then he has, but that's why I think he has a ton of potential. When he plays mistake free he is excellent, when he plays like normal he is still good enough to be on the court as a backup. The only game lately where he played so bad he didn't belong on the court is against UConn.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #274
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Not trying to be rude here, but you seriously need a break from sports or at least basketball.
We sleep in May
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #275
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here’s the different between Quadri and Diarra

Quadri played in a Matchup zone where mick could hide poor defenders.

But in this system it’s far less hiding and way more one on one defense. So Diarra’s numbers would be much more accurate.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Diarra is better defender than Vogt. It’s not close.

But that doesn’t mean he should play over Vogt.

That said, Vogt was an impact player in this league before the teams in it figured out his tendencies. He went from looking like a first team all league guy, to now the 4th option on this team.

I believe in the synergy numbers. They are the most in depth possession by possession stats that you can purchase, and it’s the se stuff that coaches use.

But anything In small sample size is deceiving. Diarra makes a crap ton of mistakes but they usually revolve the offensive end. He may make a poor rotation every now and again, but In general, if your try to score on Diarra it isn’t going to go well
I’m fine with diarra. He is very mobile, which helps on defense. I’ve never said Vogt was better on defense. Not sure anyone has. Diarra does a lot of dumb things that hurt the team. My thing with diarra is when people act like he’s the missing link. He’s at best, at this stage in his career, A role player that should get 5-10 minutes a game. Depending on if he’s completely unplayable. Which happens a lot. I wish he was really good. It would help the team if he was. I’m sure brannen wishes he was too. Vogt hasn’t been good recently. No debate. Problem is we had a person wanting to play diarra over Vogt when Vogt was averaging 14-7 on 70% shooting. It’s hard to take people like that seriously.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 02-22-2020 at 06:39 PM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:49 PM   #276
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Diarra strength is his help defense and pick and roll defense. 1v1 he usually isn’t as good. He struggles in the post because he can get sealed fairly easy and he gets blown by when he is on the perimeter, because he is face guarding. He also over help a lot.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 02-22-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #277
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Diarra strength is his help defense and pick and roll defense. 1v1 he usually isn’t as good. He struggles in the post because he can get sealed fairly easy and he gets blown by when he is on the perimeter, because he is face guarding. He also over help a lot.

In a small sample size Diarra’s post up defense is absolutely elite

.56 ppp Better then 90% of D1

His spot of defense is .64

He’s only covered the pick and roll man 7 times all year so not enough data
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:13 PM   #278
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

Doesn’t have to cover the pick and roll man, can hedge then recover. Something Vogt can’t do. Not sure how the data would even calculate stuff like that, if it doesn’t know what he’s supposed to be doing in the first place.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #279
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

They usually prevent the ball handler from driving to the middle, while the big helps, giving the defender time to recover. They rarely out right switch. Diarra is good at this because he can recover faster.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:05 PM   #280
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Small sample size is exactly why you can't use the stats. You make it appear you understand stats but it's obvious you don't. You and Skyblade just throw out stats that attempt to support your position. Diarra is anything but an elite post defender. Average at best
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote