Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Will we break 80 points per game?
Yes 8 24.24%
No 25 75.76%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #21
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown Bearcat View Post
it would be tough even if we improve offensively with the way our defense is designed to run down the clock and force a bad shot with a second or 2 on the shot clock it creates so many less possessions for both teams then your average game. I would say the better statistic to figure out if this offense is better is points per possession more so then points per game. I do think this will be Cronins best offense so far though and I dont think it will even be close. Its gonna be interesting to see how our defense fairs tho with the new lineups I would assume KJ and Caupain are better defenders especially on the wing then Broome. I honestly cannot wait till the season starts though
Caupain never really stood out to me as a good defender. I'm not worried about replacing him at all.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #22
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Only 32 teams in all of college basketball broke the 80ppg barrier. Only 13 from power 6 leagues.

Breaking the 80 point mark in a good conference is hard. I think we can come super close but to do it, we really need to put up a 100+ On every bad non league team we play to help even the averages for the inevitable 60 and 70 point grinders on the road and against tough teams like Florida, WSU and even UConn can force that kinda play.

I think the goal in conference would be to average 75 and out of conference average 85-90.

Either way, I truly don’t care if we break that barrier as long as we win.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #23
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Only 32 teams in all of college basketball broke the 80ppg barrier. Only 13 from power 6 leagues.

Breaking the 80 point mark in a good conference is hard. I think we can come super close but to do it, we really need to put up a 100+ On every bad non league team we play to help even the averages for the inevitable 60 and 70 point grinders on the road and against tough teams like Florida, WSU and even UConn can force that kinda play.

I think the goal in conference would be to average 75 and out of conference average 85-90.

Either way, I truly don’t care if we break that barrier as long as we win.
Good post! I guess it's harder than I thought. However, I would probably rather increase the horrible offensive games by 10 points than to add 10 more onto the patsies. Who cares if we score 90 or 100 against a patsie?

There were 6 games in conference last year regular season where we had a total average of less than 55 ppg with one game under 50. That is 1/3 of the conference slate. UCF (two games 60 and 49), Tulsa (57), Temple (who could forget our first conference game 56), ECU (55) , SMU (51). I think we should shoot for 1 game in the 50's not 1 in the 40's. By the way SMU held us to (56) in tourney as well...so 1 out of 3 conference games were averaged out at 55 points.

Add 10 more points to all of those games and we are in business. Add 10 more onto Lipscomb...who cares.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #24
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Good post! I guess it's harder than I thought. However, I would probably rather increase the horrible offensive games by 10 points than to add 10 more onto the patsies. Who cares if we score 90 or 100 against a patsie?

There were 6 games in conference last year regular season where we had a total average of less than 55 ppg with one game under 50. That is 1/3 of the conference slate. UCF (two games 60 and 49), Tulsa (57), Temple (who could forget our first conference game 56), ECU (55) , SMU (51). I think we should shoot for 1 game in the 50's not 1 in the 40's. By the way SMU held us to (56) in tourney as well...so 1 out of 3 conference games were averaged out at 55 points.

Add 10 more points to all of those games and we are in business. Add 10 more onto Lipscomb...who cares.
Really good post here. I'm not worried if we average 80 or more. I am way more worried about scoring in the high 60's and 70's on the road. Those 50 point games of the road need to go away. Time we start shooting better on the road.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #25
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Sure.. I was just saying if you really want to hit that arbitrary # of 80pgg, then your gonna have to inflate the averages against bad bad teams.

I'd rather average 74ppg in conference over anything else.

UCLA scored a lot of PPG last year, but even they ended up inflating their average in the non conference portion of the schedule (8 games with 95 or more VS 6 games in conference). So what we average on the year is not all the relevent to me, I want to see what we average against conference opponents and Kenpom Tier A and B teams.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #26
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Sure.. I was just saying if you really want to hit that arbitrary # of 80pgg, then your gonna have to inflate the averages against bad bad teams.

I'd rather average 74ppg in conference over anything else.

UCLA scored a lot of PPG last year, but even they ended up inflating their average in the non conference portion of the schedule (8 games with 95 or more VS 6 games in conference). So what we average on the year is not all the relevent to me, I want to see what we average against conference opponents and Kenpom Tier A and B teams.
I would rather see it in conference as well but I guess if we can increase points there it should happen across the board.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #27
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Really good post here. I'm not worried if we average 80 or more. I am way more worried about scoring in the high 60's and 70's on the road. Those 50 point games of the road need to go away. Time we start shooting better on the road.
You're right...road was the real problem. If we are going to fix that it's going to have to start at PG. We need to find some easier buckets. Getting out on break a few more times and penetration should help. We can't rely on late shot clock 3s by passing it around the perimeter the whole time. We need someone to force the issue and break the defense down so we can get FTs or dump it off to the bigs or kick it out etc. I think Cumberland will help more on the road as well.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #28
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
You're right...road was the real problem. If we are going to fix that it's going to have to start at PG. We need to find some easier buckets. Getting out on break a few more times and penetration should help. We can't rely on late shot clock 3s by passing it around the perimeter the whole time. We need someone to force the issue and break the defense down so we can get FTs or dump it off to the bigs or kick it out etc. I think Cumberland will help more on the road as well.
Looking at just our 7 road and neutral games where we scored under 60 points. We shot 38 of 155 from 3 for 25%. If we can just make 35% in those games it would equal 7 more ppg. I think it all starts by letting the defense get set up and denying our bigs the ball from entry passes. If you can't get the ball down there you can't play inside out. Therefore we pass around the perimeter until late shot clock many times for more challenged 3's.

I think the key on the road is to either push the ball down the court to get some easy buckets (before the D gets set) and/or having someone who can penetrate from the perimeter to create potential easier buckets, FT's, drop offs or alley oops to our bigs, or kick out open 3's.

Walking it up, waiting to start the offense, and passing around the perimeter for the rest of the length of the clock to settle on a late clock challenged 3 is not the best strategy by any means. I think we have 2 new guys in the starting lineup that are just what the doctor ordered on the road for us. A PG willing to push the ball down the court for breaks and two new guys who aren't afraid to try to get in the lane from the perimeter which creates more FT's and easier assist opportunities.

Cronin has to get this figured out. We know we can play great D and still win a good portion of these games...but come tourney time we have to create the easier looks on the other end to keep up with more talented offensive teams or players.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:30 AM   #29
waterhead
Senior Moderator

We are at 77.7 right now but that's been on the decline in conference. Averaging 71 in conference with our easiest games over and the hardest still to come.

Not happening
Old 01-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #30
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We are at 77.7 right now but that's been on the decline in conference. Averaging 71 in conference with our easiest games over and the hardest still to come.

Not happening

in this conference its just probably not going to be possible until there are a lot of coaching changes.

in adjusted tempo this conference has 4 teams over 300, 2 more over 250, 3 more over 150, and only 1 in the top 100 (tulane at 92).

and while we have played our easiest opponents, our conference has been loaded with the super slow teams to this point. Memphis 282, temple 280, smu 334, usf 343, ucf 306, ecu 153.

so of our 6 games 5 have been against the slowest paced teams we could have faced in the conference.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote