Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #21
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
No player takes a unofficial visit without significant interest. Their family has foot a unnecessary bill if that's the case. Players take official visit to schools all time for free vacations.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #22
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
No player takes a unofficial visit without significant interest. Their family has foot a unnecessary bill if that's the case. Players take official visit to schools all time for free vacations.
Pretty sure he took a road trip with other players on the team and they stopped at the place where a lot of local guys were running open gym and training
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:39 PM   #23
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Pretty sure he took a road trip with other players on the team and they stopped at the place where a lot of local guys were running open gym and training
more likely the case.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 PM   #24
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown Bearcat View Post
is he a pg or a sg/combo type?
More of a combo guard but I think he could play point if we needed it.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:05 PM   #25
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
More of a combo guard but I think he could play point if we needed it.
When I asked an Oakland fan about him playing point recently this is the response I got verbatim:

Would not recommend. For us last year we had a freshman PG playing 38+ minutes a game. If JC could really be seen as a PG we would have used him there at times last year. When he had to the offense stalled and his TO went up. He’s not a PG

Not sure if this is really an accurate reflection of his abilities or a bitter response to his departure but it's something to consider regardless.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #26
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Sam Martin it is
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:42 AM   #27
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
When I asked an Oakland fan about him playing point recently this is the response I got verbatim:

Would not recommend. For us last year we had a freshman PG playing 38+ minutes a game. If JC could really be seen as a PG we would have used him there at times last year. When he had to the offense stalled and his TO went up. He’s not a PG

Not sure if this is really an accurate reflection of his abilities or a bitter response to his departure but it's something to consider regardless.
Sounds legit to me. So we would still need to land a PG anyway (as a backup) if we get Jaevin. Jarron can only do so much. How else can you start both of them if you also have a true PG on the floor? Play small with Scott at the 5? Put Williams on the bench? I don't think Jaevin is going anywhere to come off the bench...and I don't think Williams would like that much.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #28
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sounds legit to me. So we would still need to land a PG anyway (as a backup) if we get Jaevin. Jarron can only do so much. How else can you start both of them if you also have a true PG on the floor? Play small with Scott at the 5? Put Williams on the bench? I don't think Jaevin is going anywhere to come off the bench...and I don't think Williams would like that much.
My guess at the moment is that Jarron is being groomed to be our starting point/primary ball handler. If we really are seriously recruiting a player like Tevin Mack, a true wing and someone who would presumably start from day one, I'd have to assume he is 1) a potential replacement for Jaevin if that were to fall through and 2) going to play on the opposite wing of Williams with Jarron bringing the ball up. Or like you mentioned, Brannen could be preparing for a small line-up with one true point (TBD), 3 wings (Jarron, Jaevin/Mack, and Williams), and 1 true big (Scott).
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:41 PM   #29
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
My guess at the moment is that Jarron is being groomed to be our starting point/primary ball handler. If we really are seriously recruiting a player like Tevin Mack, a true wing and someone who would presumably start from day one, I'd have to assume he is 1) a potential replacement for Jaevin if that were to fall through and 2) going to play on the opposite wing of Williams with Jarron bringing the ball up. Or like you mentioned, Brannen could be preparing for a small line-up with one true point (TBD), 3 wings (Jarron, Jaevin/Mack, and Williams), and 1 true big (Scott).
If we get Jaevin you have to put him on the floor with Williams, Scott, and Cumberland. Then I guess you have to put out the next best player whether it’s a big or another guard. Tough call with a lot of unknowns.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:31 PM   #30
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If we get Jaevin you have to put him on the floor with Williams, Scott, and Cumberland. Then I guess you have to put out the next best player whether it’s a big or another guard. Tough call with a lot of unknowns.
Just going based on our recruiting it seems like we are going to be playing small quite a bit next year. With Diarra and Scott at the 5.

We still have multiple PG's, SG's and Wings on our recruiting radar. But the only center I know of us recruiting for this year is Sorolla and he is not starter quality. Unless we have a under-the-radar center we are recruiting.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote