Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
westsidecat
Banned

westsidecat is on a distinguished road
Did I really just watch that?

I have to call out Cronin on this one. Not trying to get in the debate if he should get the boot.

Why is Bishop and Thomas playing so many minutes?

Bishop stats are embarrassing. In 29 minutes he was able to score 3 points on 1-9 shooting and grab 2 rebounds. Bishop contiunes to dissappears in big games. Not what you want from a 4 year starter! WHy does Cronin even run a offensive play for him? The play out of the time out should have been for Wilks who can catch the ball and slam it. Was a perfect pass and a great play ruin by his hands.

In 29 minutes Thomas gave us 2 points. 2! I could post him up and push him around the paint. Why Cronin runs these two guys out for so many minutes is beyond me.

We jack up 29 threes to a depleated WVU team!?!?!? Was this the game plan? Hell, I thought I was see an offense who worked the ball down low and dribble drive to draw fouls all game long. Not 29 threes.

Cronin said we would get a win if we sold out and we get this? This embarrassing performance on offense?

Last edited by westsidecat; 01-29-2011 at 10:14 PM.
westsidecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidecat View Post
I have to call out Cronin on this one. Not trying to get in the debate if he should get the boot.Why is Bishop and Thom soBishop stats are embarrassing. In 29 minutes he was able to score 3 points on 1-9 shooting and grab 2 rebounds. Bishop contiunes to dissappears in big games. Not what you want from a 4 year starter! WHy does Cronin even run a offensive play for him? The play out of the time out should have been for Wilks who can catch the ball and sl a perfect pass and a great play ruin by his hands.n 29 minutes Thomas gave us 2 points. 2! I could post him up and push him around the paint. Why Cronin runs these two guys out for so many minutes is beyond meWe jack up 29 threes to a depleated WVU team!?!?!? Was this the gameplan? Hell, I thought I was see an offense who worked the ball down low and dribble drive to draw fouls all game long. Not 29 threesCronin said we would get a win if we sold out and we get this? This embarrassing performance on offense?

As the saying goes you dance with the person who brought you. Bishop had a bad night but he is one of the 5 best players.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidecat View Post
I have to call out Cronin on this one. Not trying to get in the debate if he should get the boot.

Why is Bishop and Thomas playing so many minutes?

Bishop stats are embarrassing. In 29 minutes he was able to score 3 points on 1-9 shooting and grab 2 rebounds. Bishop contiunes to dissappears in big games. Not what you want from a 4 year starter! WHy does Cronin even run a offensive play for him? The play out of the time out should have been for Wilks who can catch the ball and slam it. Was a perfect pass and a great play ruin by his hands.

In 29 minutes Thomas gave us 2 points. 2! I could post him up and push him around the paint. Why Cronin runs these two guys out for so many minutes is beyond me.

We jack up 29 threes to a depleated WVU team!?!?!? Was this the game plan? Hell, I thought I was see an offense who worked the ball down low and dribble drive to draw fouls all game long. Not 29 threes.

Cronin said we would get a win if we sold out and we get this? This embarrassing performance on offense?
I was at the game and i don't recall being as disappointed after a game as I am after this one. I expected a Bearcats win. I thought they were deeper, more talented, and had the luxury of home court advantage. But for anyone who thinks that Bob Huggins is not a great coach, tonight should have erased all those thoughts. A depleted team came into FTA and thoroughly beat UC. This same team went to UL and barely lost by 1. BUT, Bob Huggins is not our coach and never again will be. Mick Cronin is, and still has our team at 18-4. There are still many opportunities on the schedule, but the margin for error is now slim. They have to win the rest of the home games, but won't if the seniors play like they did tonight. There were WIDE open 3 pointers that Bishop and Davis missed. Conversely, when WVU had the same opportunities, they hit them. As well as Bishop played against Rutgers, he played just as bad against WVU. They can't win against the upper echelon teams if the seniors don't come to play. On his post game interview, Cronin said that Wilks struggled as he was just physically strong enough to keep WVU forwards off the boards. Thats why Thomas played as much as he did. Jackson also had foul trouble and could play much, and we all know that Biggie is just limited in his ability. All in all a very disappointing loss, but they have a week to prepare for Pitt. How well they play (I have no hope that they will win) will give us an indication of what to expect the rest of the season.
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
Juliepitzer

Juliepitzer is on a distinguished road
I agree. It was a disappointing loss in front of a sold out FTA. I do still hold out hope for a season rebound however. We need to remember, Huggins is a future Hall of Fame coach that was working in a very comfortable arena lastnight, coaching against a very familiar adversary. Personally, I was convinced we would come away a winner due to past meetings. Even made the mistake of betting on it. Oh well, time to lace them up and get to work against Pitt. Go Cats!

Last edited by Juliepitzer; 01-30-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Juliepitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Has Mick ever won a meaningful game in Big East play? Jeez, it seems everytime we get comfortable and expect a big win, they lay an egg.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
AAABearcat

AAABearcat is on a distinguished road
Major disappointment, while there were many things that didn't go well, the biggest disappointment to me was getting killed on the boards. A Bearcat would shoot the ball, the WVA players would not only box out, but move their guy 4 feet backwards. On the defensive side, we did very little boxing out and for the most part, waited for the rebound to come to us, instead of going after it. As for our boxing out,
It is one game, but unfortunately before a sold out crowd where you still have to wonder how good the team is.
The game is over, it's up to Cronin to make sure it doesn't affect the team in the next game, play well against Pitt and the season can be saved, otherwise this team is no different than past ones, except they had an easier OOC schedule to pad their victory count.
AAABearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
They beat XU by 20, 66-46
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
Tough loss.

We played terrible. WVU had a good defensive game plan and forced us to shoot jumpers.

Bishop 1-9.
Davis 1-5.
Dixon 3-12.
Gates 3-7.
Thomas 0-4.
Killa 3-9.
-- That will lose just about every game we play folks.

Cash played great, IMO. 9/13 for 24 points.

We didn't rebound well enough. When WVU broke our pressure after barely getting the ball over the timeline on multiple occassions, our recovery defense was not good enough or fast enough, and WVU burried a few big 3s. I know that Pepper hit 1 or 2, and Flowers hit 1 or 2. That's 9 points right there on wide open shots. Also, we gave Flowers two easy breakaway dunks off stupid turnovers. That is 4 points.

We essentially gave WVU 13 points by letting them either lay it in or have 1 hour to lineup a 3.

We played terrible. I give WVU credit. Mazzula sliced and diced our guards, getting into the lane at will.

We need to play better. Period.
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Overall BA1 you're right, but if this team is going to go anywhere it has to get better low post play. It has to have guys rebound. You can't have your entire low post rotation getting 13 rebounds. You have to include Kilpatrick at sf to get them up to a total of 19 boards between Killa, Wilks, Thomas, Bishop, Gates, Jackson and McClain. You are not going to beat the top tier teams in this league when you don't rebound and get points in the paint. Look at the interior stats in the 4 losses. They don't lie.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Overall BA1 you're right, but if this team is going to go anywhere it has to get better low post play. It has to have guys rebound.
Our low post play this year has been such a disappointment. Is yancy a low post player!? seems to me hes a fade away jump shot guy. ugh.