Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Where does UC go from here?

Do they fold and collapse like previous years, or do they pull things together and regroup.

Issues I see:
- Our offense is terrible. I hate seeing Yancy set high screen after high screen.
- We rarely get to the line, making us a jump shooting team (clearly this doesnt suit us)
- We have no go to guy.

Will not win many games scoring 50 points. The postgame was very very irritating. All mick wanted to talk about was defense, but there comes a time when a team needs to score the ball. 50 points nightly wont win games.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Who Dey Time

Who Dey Time will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Do they fold and collapse like previous years, or do they pull things together and regroup.

Issues I see:
- Our offense is terrible. I hate seeing Yancy set high screen after high screen.
- We rarely get to the line, making us a jump shooting team (clearly this doesnt suit us)
- We have no go to guy.

Will not win many games scoring 50 points. The postgame was very very irritating. All mick wanted to talk about was defense, but there comes a time when a team needs to score the ball. 50 points nightly wont win games.
Mick's point was that the offense was affecting the team's defense. Obviously we need to score more points and I think they will. Tonight was a terrible offensive night but let's credit a very good defensive team in addition to the fact that we missed open shots.

Nine games to go. Got to find five wins down the stretch. I think this team has learned from past mistakes and will get to where we all want them to. Tonight sucked but it certainly was not a deal breaker.
Who Dey Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
Tonight was a terrible offensive night
Was it tho? Thats my concern, seemed pretty similar to recent games.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
Mick's point was that the offense was affecting the team's defense. Obviously we need to score more points and I think they will. Tonight was a terrible offensive night but let's credit a very good defensive team in addition to the fact that we missed open shots.

Nine games to go. Got to find five wins down the stretch. I think this team has learned from past mistakes and will get to where we all want them to. Tonight sucked but it certainly was not a deal breaker.
Agreed. Tonights game was very disappointing, especially since I sat with a WVU fan and had a long ride home with him afterward. But it is only one game. All of the players have heard ad nauseum about the collapses of the past few years, and hopefully this will make them determined and more resilient to avoid this same scenerio from repeating. I thik the Pitt game is BIG for this reason, and they have to have a good showing. Not a win, but be competitive through out the game. Otherwise the whispers will start to get louder and louder.
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Not sure where 5 more wins will happen with the history of late season collapses. Mick bitches about attendance and when he get a sell out, his team plays like crap. To answer your question of where does UC go from here, the answer should be on the look for a new head coach.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Was it tho? Thats my concern, seemed pretty similar to recent games.
Yea. Anytime we've been in the 50's this year in scoring its always been because lets credit the other defense. Well yea, but comes a point in time where you have to overcome that and play the style of basketball that got you to 18 wins. Especially when the opponent only had about 8 players. Enough of the other teams defense. Its the Big East.
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
When Thomas, Wilks, McClain, and Jackson give you 2 points combined you're in trouble. Low post play continues to hurt this team in big games. If they can't score they at least have to rebound. This group did neither. When Yancy is being surrounded somebody has to step up. Nobody did.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
When Thomas, Wilks, McClain, and Jackson give you 2 points combined you're in trouble. Low post play continues to hurt this team in big games. If they can't score they at least have to rebound. This group did neither. When Yancy is being surrounded somebody has to step up. Nobody did.
They only took 5 attempts. And 2 of those were even 3's. You can't give your bigs the ball outside the 3 point line and expect them to score points. Even Gates took a 3. All the bigs to in big games is set high ball screens. They shouldnt even be near the 3 point line. Get them the ball down low near the basket where they can be effective. As for rebounding. Its hard for bigs to rebound missed 3's. 21 of them to be exact
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Mick's statement about Yancy last night: “They decided to double team him. Guys are standing there wide open at the three point line. There is a rule that you are allowed to go rebound it. He only had one offensive rebound.”

There no way to defend it R2G, low post play has killed this team in all of it's losses. I know you love to shoulder Mick with everything and ultimately it's his responsibility, but players have to respond and play. Our bigs haven't even shown up in our losses.

Mick again" “I’ve got guys that have been playing in the BIG EAST and our program for the last three years. We are 18-4. We have a couple days off to get some rest and focused on academics. In our league, you are only as good as your next game. Syracuse hasn’t won since they beat us; welcome to the BIG EAST. You have to be great at rebounding, and we weren’t great at rebounding. Not enough to make up for our lack of rebounding.”
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Issues I see:
- We have no go to guy.

UC did not fold in previous years, they lost to teams that were better than them.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote