Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Mick's statement about Yancy last night: “They decided to double team him. Guys are standing there wide open at the three point line. There is a rule that you are allowed to go rebound it. He only had one offensive rebound.”

There no way to defend it R2G, low post play has killed this team in all of it's losses. I know you love to shoulder Mick with everything and ultimately it's his responsibility, but players have to respond and play. Our bigs haven't even shown up in our losses.
I may be a little hard on Mick, but honestly. The bigs can't pass it to themselves. Your guards are dribbling the air out of the ball around the 3 point line. They dont even look to get the ball down low. Playing a team with about 8 guys, and as a coach how can you not develope a game plan to get the ball to your post players... Or stop walking the ball up the court. You can still get the ball up the floor after made baskets
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
It was one game, 9 more to play.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
It's hard for THIS team to win when:

Bishop 1-9.
Killa 3-9.
Thomas 0-4.
Gates 3-7 (Dear God: Please get Yancy more shots!)
Dixon 3-12.
Davis 1-5.
These guys went 11-46. That's Charles Barkley "turrrrible."

Cashmere was tremendous 9-14 for 24 points.
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph1950 View Post
UC did not fold in previous years, they lost to teams that were better than them.
Ralph that's not entirely true. They've lost to teams like Depaul, Seton Hall, Providence and USF.

However, as Villanova and Syracuse are showing this league is brutal on everyone. Again it's not a matter of if you'll hit a bad streak it's when and if you can limit it and maintain conference standing.

Georgetown started 1-4. Syracuse has lost 4 straight. Nova has not played well since beating Syracuse. This league is brutal and people need to understand that. The teams in this league are very good. That's why everyone says it's the best, deepest league in America. If you have an off night physically you better be mentally prepared. If you aren't you're going to get beat.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Ralph that's not entirely true. They've lost to teams like Depaul, Seton Hall, Providence and USF.

However, as Villanova and Syracuse are showing this league is brutal on everyone. Again it's not a matter of if you'll hit a bad streak it's when and if you can limit it and maintain conference standing.

Georgetown started 1-4. Syracuse has lost 4 straight. Nova has not played well since beating Syracuse. This league is brutal and people need to understand that. The teams in this league are very good. That's why everyone says it's the best, deepest league in America. If you have an off night physically you better be mentally prepared. If you aren't you're going to get beat.
Yep, people have to realize this is the Big East, not C-USA. the C-USA mentality still lingers on in many. No one school has ever dominated The Big East.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #16
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
The bad thing is UC dropped to 43rd in the rpi (according to live-rpi.com).
Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Last night was such a disappointment for me. I thought for sure we'd win that game, and set ourselves up pretty favorably going forward.

I don't mean to make 1 loss sound like the end of the world, but that was a HUGE loss. It really changes a lot. And I'm struggling to find 5 wins in the remaining 9.

I have a Depaul chalked up as a gimme but that's it. St. Johns would be the next closest. I'm not sure anyone could make a case for any other game being more than a toss up AT BEST.

On the game itself, 30 3's is completely unacceptable. I'm not sure why our guys refuse to try to attack on the basket. That's why there's a FT disparity almost every game. Our perimeter players settle for jumpers, and our biggs play 10 ft out and/or fadeaway, or go straight up. And apparently this style is here to stay b/c 1.) it's nothing new 2.) guys like Thomas/Gates shoot 3's and don't get yanked.

This is apparently what our kids are coached to do, or they'd be getting yanked, you'd see the offense evolve as the season goes on. But this is the same offense we saw last month, last year. We run the Pitino, shoot a minimum of 20 3's a game. Problem is we can't shoot all that well. And we'll shoot them with no one under the basket, early in the shot clock, with no ball movement, no kick out. (Anytime)

I don't know, maybe a few days gives me more hope, but let's be honest, we haven't looked great for quite some time. 5-4 in the remaining 9 is less likely than 4-5, 3-6, ???. I thought we may be talking about seeding after yesterday, turns out we're (I'm) talking about being squarely back on the bubble

Last edited by MDW79; 01-30-2011 at 10:19 AM.
MDW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #18
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Last night was such a disappointment for me. I thought for sure we'd win that game, and set ourselves up pretty favorably going forward.

I don't mean to make 1 loss sound like the end of the world, but that was a HUGE loss. It really changes a lot. And I'm struggling to find 5 wins in the remaining 9.

I have a Depaul chalked up as a gimme but that's it. St. Johns would be the next closest. I'm not sure anyone could make a case for any other game being more than a toss up AT BEST.

On the game itself, 30 3's is completely unacceptable. I'm not sure why our guys refuse to try to attack on the basket. That's why there's a FT disparity almost every game. Our perimeter players settle for jumpers, and our biggs play 10 ft out and/or fadeaway, or go straight up. And apparently this style is here to stay b/c 1.) it's nothing new 2.) guys like Thomas/Gates shoot 3's and don't get yanked.

This is aparrently what our kids are coached to do, or they'd be getting yanked, you'd see the offense evolve as the season goes on. But this is the same offense we saw last month, last year. We run the Pitino, shoot a minimum of 20 3's a game. Probably is we can't shoot all that well.

I don't know, maybe a few days gives me more hope, but let's be honest, we haven't looked great for quite some time. 5-4 in the remaining 9 is less likely than 4-5, 3-6, ???. I thought we may be talking about seeding after yesterday, turns out we're (I'm) talking about being squarely back on the bubble
My concern is that against the top teams they don't show up mentally. I really thought this team would come out fired up and roll in this game. I cautioned a friend of mine that if UC let WVU beat them on the boards it would be a close game and they could lose.

I completely agree about not attacking. It killed them again Notre Dame. It killed them again Syracuse and it killed them last night. I chalk this up to a lack of mental toughness. When things aren't going your way you have to attack. You can't stand back and loft jump shots. We have to get some mid-range and close points from our sf, pf and C. Kilpatrick, Cash, and Dixon can't be expected to carry this team every night.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #19
JeromyM

JeromyM is on a distinguished road
I think if they dont finish 10-8 in conference, we are NIT bound.
JeromyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #20
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromyM View Post
I think if they dont finish 10-8 in conference, we are NIT bound.
I would agree in general, but think there are some opportunities to get in 9-9. Beat Pitt and no "bad losses". Beat UConn and no bad losses. Realistically I think if they can beat Georgetown and Louisville they'll have enough to get in with no bad losses. Have to win at home from here out.