Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Hoard On WVU Loss

"It's almost like our guys expected that we were just going to come out and win and thought that we were better than West Virginia," head coach Mick Cronin said. "Three Top 10 teams in our league lost today. In every Big East game, whoever plays better that night is going to win. Did we expect to just come in here and win or did we expect to come in here and grind it out? When we struggled, it was almost like it was a shock for us."

I attended practice on Thursday and watched Coach Cronin tell his team exactly what to expect from the Mountaineers. He warned them it would be an all-out war. But when the 'Cats started to fall behind in the second half on Saturday night, they self-destructed by taking some bad shots and failing to dig down and get stops on defense.

http://www.gobearcats.com/blog/2011/...from-cats.html
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
"Three Top 10 teams in our league lost today. In every Big East game, whoever plays better that night is going to win.http://www.gobearcats.com/blog/2011/...from-cats.html

Does anyone else get tired of hearing these types of things from Mick? It always seems like there is some sort of an excuse or comment made to try to rationalize a loss. Who cares if three other teams in the league lost? What does that have to do with us losing to WVU??
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Does anyone else get tired of hearing these types of things from Mick? It always seems like there is some sort of an excuse or comment made to try to rationalize a loss. Who cares if three other teams in the league lost? What does that have to do with us losing to WVU??
Telling what happened is not an excuse it is telling what happened.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
UCPT99

UCPT99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I looked at my wife while driving home from the game and said, "I don't care what anyone else in the conference did today. If so, I would have watched or went to that game." Losing to WVU is one thing, losing while the players could care less and show no heart is another.
UCPT99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I understand what he is trying to do. He's telling everyone not to get discouraged that it is a tough league. However, it does come across as an excuse at times. I want to hear him say we did not play well. Our bigs have to come ready to play. There's bo defense for our defense. Hold people accountable!!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I understand what he is trying to do. He's telling everyone not to get discouraged that it is a tough league. However, it does come across as an excuse at times. I want to hear him say we did not play well. Our bigs have to come ready to play. There's bo defense for our defense. Hold people accountable!!
When he does this, he is accused of throwing his players under the bus.
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Juliepitzer

Juliepitzer is on a distinguished road
I agree with Cronin on one thing. It is a tough league. We just get so tired of hearing him bring it up everytime we lose. It never stops. If he feels it is tough to the point of keeping us out of the tournament every season, then get us out of it. Otherwise, shut up about it and adjust. He can be a good coach with time but this is one thing that I do get tired of hearing. It is a tough league. We know. We get it. Now move on and make us great again.
Juliepitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepitzer View Post
I agree with Cronin on one thing. It is a tough league. We just get so tired of hearing him bring it up everytime we lose. It never stops. If he feels it is tough to the point of keeping us out of the tournament every season, then get us out of it. Otherwise, shut up about it and adjust. He can be a good coach with time but this is one thing that I do get tired of hearing. It is a tough league. We know. We get it. Now move on and make us great again.
Being great in Conference USA may have meant you were no better than middle of the pack in the Big East.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Mick isn't the only coach that says, "that's life in our league". I've heard Huggins, Dixon, and Wright say it. Difference is they don't have a split fan base.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Has anyone ever liked anything any coach says after a loss? A coach has to be positive to the fan base. You throw your players under the bus to the media and players won't want to play for you. I for one wouldn't want to have to answer questions after my team just stunk up the court, but coaches have to come out and do press conferences. I would have a problem if he goes into practices and tells the team these things, but what he says in a post-game show after a loss I could care less about. I honestly don't need to hear it anyway, I watched the game, I know what happened.