Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Juliepitzer

Juliepitzer is on a distinguished road
Where are the Bearcats??

Just looked at ESPN's weekly rankings and did not see the Cats listed anywhere. I mean, it shows that we did not even get a single vote from anyone. That has to be a misprint. One freaking game cannot drop a team that many slots. The AP poll still had us listed 29 I think. Am I missing something?

Last edited by Juliepitzer; 01-31-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Juliepitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
AAABearcat

AAABearcat is on a distinguished road
In that poll, we got 30 votes last week, none this week; that is what happens when you lose by double digits on your home floor. We are 30th in the AP poll-4 behind X. WVA did get in at 25 on rthe AP poll by beating UC, so beat Pitt and we will get in.
AAABearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
babcat

babcat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to babcat
No surprise to me. Win the games that you're supposed to and a few that you're not, and you get respect in the voting.

UC didn't play to win. They played not to lose, and it showed in the final score as well as the polls.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
JeromyM

JeromyM is on a distinguished road
Yea...I noticed we didn't get any votes in the ESPN Poll....well, go figure. But, if we had beaten West Virginia, it would be us ranked and not them. Xavier ranked 26?? A team we dominated. Every loss we have had has come against a ranked opponent.....with an exception to the WV game, but now they're ranked too...so...anyway...don't worry about us beating Pitt...that's not going to happen.
JeromyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
Little Danny

Little Danny will become famous soon enough
I know this may sound paranoid, but it has always seemed it is much harder for the Bearcats to gain "respect" from the media voters, etc. than just about every other program out there (that includes mid-majors like X and Miami U., not even getting into other Power Six Conference schools.). The moment UC loses a game or two, it seems like the media, voters, etc. declare the Cats dead a little quicker than just about any other program out there as well (that includes mid-majors like X and Miami U., not even getting into other Power Six Conference schools).

** This includes both football and basketball.
Little Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
UC is trending downward in terms of performance. Their play has droppped off substantially. This is a fact not lost on the voters. Had they beat WVU like they should of, they would have been ranked in both polls and been in the low 30's/upper 20's in the rpi. That was a very costly loss and the lackluster performance only adds to it. This is winning time. It's time to step it up or stay home. Let's hope the players are putting in the extra work in understanding of this fact.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
I'm over the respect issue. Fact is, the offense is subpar. UC may still beat a team, yet go four minutes or more without scoring. The inside game has been mostly suspect, and the Bearcats have not proven to be a consistent threat from behind the arc.

Still looking for an identity from the team, and have yet to find it. Hustling on defense for 20 to 30 minutes a game is not it.

I like this team, but there are serious questions about scoring and consistency.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by swg View Post
I'm over the respect issue. Fact is, the offense is subpar. UC may still beat a team, yet go four minutes or more without scoring. The inside game has been mostly suspect, and the Bearcats have not proven to be a consistent threat from behind the arc.

Still looking for an identity from the team, and have yet to find it. Hustling on defense for 20 to 30 minutes a game is not it.

I like this team, but there are serious questions about scoring and consistency.
I honestly believe this team will not be consistent offensively as long as it demonstrates no low post threat. If you rely on jump shots everything revolves around you hitting them. If shots aren't falling teams pack in and there are no lanes to penetrate in. Also you need to be able to score close to the basket to be able to stop runs when your outside shot is off. This team is infinitely better offensively when Gates is effective.

The hustling issue bothers me the most. It's the one thing they have total control of. I've wondered many times where this team would be if it gave effort like Marquette does on every single play.

As a coach it's your job to form an identity based on your teams strengths and weaknesses. This team lacks an identity. All the things they did that made them efficient and exciting have been shelved. The game plans been changed mid stream. Look at the press against Rutgers. It wasn't overly effective the first 3/4 of the game, but in the end it wore them down and UC pulled away. Be what you are and stick with it!! Teams look bad when they play outside their strength. They can't flow and be natural. It is obvious that this team is playing outside it's strength.

Mick needs to say "this is who we are" and trust his players. I think they'd play harder, better and looser. They still may not win the way we'd like but they'd be more competitve and look a lot better doing it. There is an eye test with voters and selections when all things are equal. People remember what they see. The fact that they go 4-5 minutes routinely in various times of a game is not lost on people.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote