Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
He said he might have violated all three rules. That doesn't bode well for him. I'm thinking he doesn't return this year, but who knows.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Asked which of those rules forward Yancy Gates violated, Cronin said, “Probably all three in my opinion.”

Gates, a 6-foot-9 junior from Withrow High School, was suspended indefinitely Friday for violating team rules and did not make the trip here with his teammates to play against Pitt.

Cronin said he had no meetings scheduled with Gates and has no idea when he’ll return.

“I’m worried about the guys that are here,” Cronin said.

The UC coach would not say specifically what Gates did.

“It wasn’t one incident,” Cronin said. “It was all week. Now you might have had a culminating incident.”

That incident reportedly occurred at practice when Gates exchanged words with an assistant coach, although Cronin would not confirm that.

Gates could not be reached Saturday night. His father, Tony Dees, said he did not want to comment until he knew more about what triggered the suspension.

“I’ve only got bits and pieces,” he said.

Asked if he was upset that Cronin suspended Gates, Dees said, “Not if he didn’t handle his part and did what he needs to do. I’d like to find out what’s going on before I comment on anything.”

Without Gates, UC’s second leading scorer (11.4) and leading rebounder (6.9), Cronin started a front line of Ibrahima Thomas, Darnell Wilks and Rashad Bishop against the Panthers after considering starting either Biggie McClain or Sean Kilpatrick.

Cronin said he was disappointed with Gates and said Gates’ teammates should be disappointed in him, too.

“The problem with college basketball today,” Cronin said, “it’s gotten lost that it should be a privilege to play for Jamie Dixon at Pittsburgh or to play at Cincinnati, the home of Oscar Robertson, that you should take that and make the most of it.

“Too many kids think you’re doing everybody a favor being around. What they don’t realize is if you don’t want to be around somebody else will take your spot.”

After the game, Cronin was adamant that he believed Gates’ absence did not cost his team the chance to knock off the fourth-ranked Panthers. He said he thought UC’s offense actually flowed better without Gates, even though the Bearcats shot only 33.3 percent from the field.

“Our ball movement and our execution is a lot better with him out of the lineup because we don’t throw the ball to him in the low post without him posting,” Cronin said. “We have better spacing. We get a lot more player movement and our screening is better. I think it showed. We were just missing layups and missing shots in the first half.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...d-indefinitely
Old 02-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
bearcatmike

bearcatmike is on a distinguished road
coach has backbone

it's very welcome to know that Coach Cronin will lead this team with discipline as opposed to catering to the leading scorer or rebounder as Huggs would do -- Mick will WIN and WIN a lot when all is said & done!
bearcatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
swg
Epic Member

I like the optimism from Mike. I'm trying to get there as well, but it's difficult after watching UC play solid teams. I shall try again next game.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatmike View Post
it's very welcome to know that Coach Cronin will lead this team with discipline as opposed to catering to the leading scorer or rebounder as Huggs would do -- Mick will WIN and WIN a lot when all is said & done!
Mike my criticism of Mick Cronin at the end of last season was his inability to raise his team above it's talent level. I think he does many things well but hasn't demonstrated this one critical quality. If he is going to win and win big he has to be able to do that. I just haven't seen it as of yet.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
What games have you been watching?
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
swg
Epic Member

We have factions upon factions.

Huggs vs Zimpher.

AK vs Zimpher

UC fans vs Huggs

UC fans vs anti-Huggs UC fans

UC fans vs Cronin

UC fans vs anti-Cronin UC fans

At least we all know Huggs Yellow Suit was a disaster, and that beer is good.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by swg View Post
We have factions upon factions.

Huggs vs Zimpher.

AK vs Zimpher

UC fans vs Huggs

UC fans vs anti-Huggs UC fans

UC fans vs Cronin

UC fans vs anti-Cronin UC fans

At least we all know Huggs Yellow Suit was a disaster, and that beer is good.
I think it's really becoming a questions of standards. I think you have some that may be happy with being somewhat BE competitive and perhaps think that a 8/9 seed would be quite a feat. They can find improvement even if not met, and have hope moving forward.

Then I think another group demands an 8/9 seed at minimum, and anything is less is total failure. If this is not met, they have very little hope for the future.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
Juliepitzer

Juliepitzer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am sorry but your statement about Huggins is so far from the truth it makes me wonder who you are. I am by no means a huge supporter of Huggs but I dont like fabrications either and the above is a blatant lie. There was always a player on suspension for violations of team rules. Patterson, Wingfield, Hicks, Little, Grove, etc. It got to the point where I expected someone absent from the bench nearly every game. The difference was, he kept it in house and out of the press.

Last edited by Juliepitzer; 02-06-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Juliepitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #20
Juliepitzer

Juliepitzer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Mick Cronin:

“I'm concerned with our basketball team right now, and he's not part of it,” Cronin said. “We don't have a lot of rules. Play hard, be a good guy, be committed to the team, be coachable. It's really non negotiable. I'm a big believer in life, the squeaky wheel should not get the oil. My energy and my efforts do not go to the squeaky wheel, it goes to the guys that are doing the right things and that want to compete and play hard for our fans, our university and our city.”

I like it!
Umm, the squeaky tire is probably the one that needs the oil. It is a waste of resources to oil the ones not in need. Bad analogy IMO.

Last edited by Juliepitzer; 02-06-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Juliepitzer is offline   Reply With Quote