Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-17-2019, 08:38 AM   #31
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Difference between being skeptical and constantly reminding everyone that he can’t coach. I like the different sides of the argument but can see where it gets old to some.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #32
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Every coach ever has came from lower level basketball. That’s where they all start. Never understood that argument. It’s the same game, just more pressure.
And I want every coach who takes this job to feel an overwhelming sense of pressure. When they lose, I want them waking up with cold sweats in the middle of the night.

If he had landed pettway, a proven high level recruiter, I would have felt much better. But when he hired his Nku staff and didn’t even take the most highly sought after guy on his staff, then I got worried.

He picked up a lot of guys who are being recruited by schools who are also mid major.

So what it felt like from the jump was that John Brannen thinks so highly of his system and of himself that he thinks you can win at this level doing the exact same thing as he did at Nku which I felt was pretty short sighted and disrespectful to this level of basketball
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #33
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Difference between being skeptical and constantly reminding everyone that he can’t coach. I like the different sides of the argument but can see where it gets old to some.
I’m passed this being a bad hire.

Nothing we can do. But that doesn’t stop me from posting game by game analysts of what I think he is doing wrong.

No one on this board thinks UC is executing at a high level. So it’s clear why the board has a negative because the team has a negative outcome.

But if we start rattling off wins, I’m all in. People think I want Brannen to fail. I don’t. I’ll be here posting if we win the next 20 games.

I want him to prove me wrong. And I’ll take my lumps if he does but I won’t run from it.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #34
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
And I want every coach who takes this job to feel an overwhelming sense of pressure. When they lose, I want them waking up with cold sweats in the middle of the night.

If he had landed pettway, a proven high level recruiter, I would have felt much better. But when he hired his Nku staff and didn’t even take the most highly sought after guy on his staff, then I got worried.

He picked up a lot of guys who are being recruited by schools who are also mid major.

So what it felt like from the jump was that John Brannen thinks so highly of his system and of himself that he thinks you can win at this level doing the exact same thing as he did at Nku which I felt was pretty short sighted and disrespectful to this level of basketball
Maw was recruited by Nebraska wasn’t he. Davenport was Virginia tech? Gabe was recruited by Iowa. His recruiting seems to be alright in the limited time he’s been here.
If you are referring to staff, I don’t know or care. No one knows what staff will work and what won’t.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:00 AM   #35
cincyguy13
Epic Member

If a coaching staff is your main argument, I think you’re reaching. We just don’t know anything about these guys. Or any coaching staffs in America.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #36
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Maw was recruited by Nebraska wasn’t he. Davenport was Virginia tech? Gabe was recruited by Iowa. His recruiting seems to be alright in the limited time he’s been here.
If you are referring to staff, I don’t know or care. No one knows what staff will work and what won’t.

MAW was a special circumstance because he his coach was fired

Davenport was literally v-tech and that’s it.. and it was mostly local ties to his prep school. He was not sought after in HS or prep and to be honest I see a lot of Trevor Moore in Davenport. A lot of energy, not a ton of basketball IQ

Gabe has major offers. But we had sign his low major brother to get him. We were the only school willing to take both on his major offer list

But his brother has a low major offer list.

Mikey Saunders is mid major offer list as well.

MAW is a high major player. I’m certain of that

But I’m not even close to sold on Davenport

The big one for me will be Tari Eason. We land him and keep Zach Harvey then it’s a good foundation
Old 12-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #37
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
If a coaching staff is your main argument, I think you’re reaching. We just don’t know anything about these guys. Or any coaching staffs in America.
At this I Have 10 games of evidence. Hard to say after 55 practices that this team looks good
Old 12-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #38
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
At this I Have 10 games of evidence. Hard to say after 55 practices that this team looks good
Agree, not a great start. 6 months ago may have been a little early though.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 12-17-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #39
justinhub2003
Epic Member

But I’m not even into debating it.

I hope we figure it out tomorrow.

I’ll be there in student section. Hoping for a miracle
Old 12-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #40
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
MAW was a special circumstance because he his coach was fired

Davenport was literally v-tech and that’s it.. and it was mostly local ties to his prep school. He was not sought after in HS or prep and to be honest I see a lot of Trevor Moore in Davenport. A lot of energy, not a ton of basketball IQ

Gabe has major offers. But we had sign his low major brother to get him. We were the only school willing to take both on his major offer list

But his brother has a low major offer list.

Mikey Saunders is mid major offer list as well.

MAW is a high major player. I’m certain of that

But I’m not even close to sold on Davenport

The big one for me will be Tari Eason. We land him and keep Zach Harvey then it’s a good foundation
You can make excuses for every recruit. Why they are available, why we got them, who cares. Are they here or not. Maw looks good. Davenport will at least be Tre Scott level I think. And Harvey who knows. I like the his recruiting so far but you can pick it apart if you want. Especially since we don’t know what these players are yet.