Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #31
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
We only have 2 high profile home games scheduled next year, that’s the same as every year. I doubt they bring in another high profile.

Again, IM NOT COMPLAINING about our high tier Games. I’d just like to see Marshall again on the schedule, or An A10 school. And then some of the good buy games; Lehigh, South Dakota state, Kent state etc
In principal I would agree with you about the buy games. Of course this assumes something can be done about it from the perspective of who is doing the scheduling.

Those middle tier BUY GAMES (the one's you can beat easily but aren't ranked 300+) are the one's we want to go after. However, almost every major team wants those. They will probably go to the highest bidder on average and we aren't the highest bidder. That puts the handcuffs on the scheduler.

I would still think we can do a little better than the 300+ teams but if you wait to long to schedule that will be all that is left. It was nice to land UCLA and Florida etc...from a top 50 standpoint but then we go and reverse the effects on the OC SOS by adding too many lower tier teams. Both of these will have some effect on the committee to a certain extent.

In the end if we can take 2 out of 3 against Florida, X and UCLA and then take at least 1 from WSU...we should be in good shape. If we don't the SOS could come back to bite us a little by dropping our seed 1 or 2 spots.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #32
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
In principal I would agree with you about the buy games. Of course this assumes something can be done about it from the perspective of who is doing the scheduling.

Those middle tier BUY GAMES (the one's you can beat easily but aren't ranked 300+) are the one's we want to go after. However, almost every major team wants those. They will probably go to the highest bidder on average and we aren't the highest bidder. That puts the handcuffs on the scheduler.

I would still think we can do a little better than the 300+ teams but if you wait to long to schedule that will be all that is left. It was nice to land UCLA and Florida etc...from a top 50 standpoint but then we go and reverse the effects on the OC SOS by adding too many lower tier teams. Both of these will have some effect on the committee to a certain extent.

In the end if we can take 2 out of 3 against Florida, X and UCLA and then take at least 1 from WSU...we should be in good shape. If we don't the SOS could come back to bite us a little by dropping our seed 1 or 2 spots.
If we are working from a budget standpoint...when you are out of dollars to spend on buy games...you have to scrape the bottom of the barrel. I don't know if that is how it works but some of our board members should try harping on upping the budget a little so we can compete for more of those ideal buy games.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #33
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

Of course in the end...if we win a good portion of our top 50 games with some marquee wins in there and then blow out the 300+ teams our metrics numbers should be just fine. The conference slate should be much better than last year so our overall SOS could go up even with the 300+ teams in the OOC schedule.

It might be a little much to expect we take care of business against every team. You can't just eliminate cold shooting nights by us or hot shooting nights by other teams. I think we will be a better road team this year but playing off campus we will probably not be as good as last year at home.

I guess we will see what we are made of. There are a lot of variables to think about. We won't have a good feel for it until we see the product on the floor which can't come soon enough for me.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #34
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
I know it's been said before but I hate th e fact this is our most talented team and we are essentially playing our home schedule off campus.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #35
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
yeah I could care less about the kenpom sos or all this other ranking stuff. We have a good schedule and if we take care of business it will be a fun year no matter what seed we get. We need to start taking care of business. We could be a 7 seed and get winnable matchups. We just played a miss seeded UCLA last year. Oh well. Lets just win!
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #36
HExus

HExus is on a distinguished road
Were basically in a position where we have to win the majority of the top 50 games to make up for the 300+ ones.

If this team can't do that they have no business getting a good seed anyway. Just my 2 cents. This team should be able to win the big games, and regardless of seed if you feel you are a championship caliber team you should be able to win regardless of the seed.

I'm not worrying about it at all.
HExus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:09 AM   #37
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
X plays George Washington, Baylor, Wisconsin and either Kansas St. or Arizona St. before us....who will be better prepared?
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #38
bearcat81

bearcat81 is on a distinguished road
When do single game tickets usually go on sale?
bearcat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:04 PM   #39
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
X plays George Washington, Baylor, Wisconsin and either Kansas St. or Arizona St. before us....who will be better prepared?
This is not the point. X plays one bad team and then a bunch of good buy games. They understand how to game the rpi. They can afford to play 5 300+ teams bc they are in a good league and yet they don’t.

Like I said before, I’ll forgive UC this time bc of the complexity in scheduling but if they made this schedule and looked back and said we did a great job then they need fired bc they understand noting about gaming the rpi to your advantage when your in a disrespected conference

I love UC and hate X but they also cater to their fans much more than UC does. X realizes they are nothing with out a rabid fan base and they work every year to bring in good teams to play in front of their home crowd.

Last edited by justinhub2003; 09-18-2017 at 11:08 PM.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #40
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
This is not the point. X plays one bad team and then a bunch of good buy games. They understand how to game the rpi. They can afford to play 5 300+ teams bc they are in a good league and yet they don’t.

Like I said before, I’ll forgive UC this time bc of the complexity in scheduling but if they made this schedule and looked back and said we did a great job then they need fired bc they understand noting about gaming the rpi to your advantage when your in a disrespected conference

I love UC and hate X but they also cater to their fans much more than UC does. X realizes they are nothing with out a rabid fan base and they work every year to bring in good teams to play in front of their home crowd.
Does anyone know how much we pay for buy games vs other major teams? If we aren't paying the necessary dollars then we would be forced to offer something like a home and away which defeats the buy game purpose. Perhaps a home, home, away (for less buy dollars) would be a decent option but still not ideal.

If we don't pay the necessary dollars and we don't want to offer the return away game it's a tough job on the scheduler. I would imagine we know how to game the RPI but maybe the brass isn't willing to. How else can we explain it? I can't imagine the answer is stupidity or ignorance.