Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #131
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Watched the press conference. Mick seemed spot on.

And he will get fined...for speaking the truth. Love his comment about filing a protest...literally lol.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #132
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
Not to detract from the fascinating discussion of Referee psychology but Gregory is a freaking outstanding coach. That USF team is missing talent and he is using what he has to make games competitive. They killed us on the glass for 80% of that game and executed a gameplan (foul, foul, foul) that kept them competitive. Really reminds me of early Big East UC teams that didn't have the talent of Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, Georgetown but found ways to win. USF is going to be good if they can keep him.
Not to take anything away from USF's turnaround but I think this is a misconception about their team this year. They have a good amount of YOUNG talent, granted none of these players were 4 or 5-star HS recruits.

Michael Durr (2018) had offers from Georgetown, Pitt, Texas Tech, Texas A&M

Xavier Casteneda (2018) had offers from Iowa State, Mizzou, Wichita State

We offered both David Collins and Alexis Yetna (2017).

Mayan Kiir transferred from LSU and also had offers from Illinois, NC State, Miss State out of HS (2017).

Rideau is obviously an all-conference talent in this league. TJ Lang was a 3-year rotation player at Auburn before joining USF as a graduate role player.

I think Gregory should be commended for recruiting these players to Tampa and getting them to play very cohesively in a short amount of time, but not for performing alchemy lol.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #133
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Not to take anything away from USF's turnaround but I think this is a misconception about their team this year. They have a good amount of YOUNG talent, granted none of these players were 4 or 5-star HS recruits.

Michael Durr (2018) had offers from Georgetown, Pitt, Texas Tech, Texas A&M

Xavier Casteneda (2018) had offers from Iowa State, Mizzou, Wichita State

We offered both David Collins and Alexis Yetna (2017).

Mayan Kiir transferred from LSU and also had offers from Illinois, NC State, Miss State out of HS (2017).

Rideau is obviously an all-conference talent in this league. TJ Lang was a 3-year rotation player at Auburn before joining USF as a graduate role player.

I think Gregory should be commended for recruiting these players to Tampa and getting them to play very cohesively in a short amount of time, but not for performing alchemy lol.
That's impressive. Hats off to them. I'm all for the league getting better and better but like Justin said, the only way the AAC will get respect is from OOC. Otherwise, the rest of the world just sees the American as average teams (or even below average teams) playing against each other excluding us and 1 or 2 other teams a year. Houston went out and beat some decent teams during the OOC. We will need that to start happening from the majority of the teams in our conference.

Last edited by GarradJ21; 01-16-2019 at 03:35 PM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #134
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
I'll repeat this again because no one ever reads an entire post, but this is more of an overarching thing for all of college basketball, not just Cronin.

Some of you are also pretty much proving my point by not giving a crap about a coach getting an ejection and giving up 4 free throws. This stuff happens across college basketball somewhat often and no cares.
I'll say this, part of a coaches job is to work the refs. Whereas I understand what you are saying its comparing apples and oranges. Coaches will intentionally draw a T at times to light a fire under their team and also to get refs to correct their whistles. Once a T is made a lot of times you see calls go in your favor. But again it's a coaches job to work refs, point out missed calls, calls they want, what to look for, etc. Getting T's are part of the process with coaching. Sure getting ejected isnt good but I'll give him a pass last night because it was completely unwarranted.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #135
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
we have micks perspective on how they were called. mick doesn't always have the best recall when he's all worked up, such as when he suggested jenifer had missed the previous 2 ft's before he missed his final 2 free throws last game, and that uconn wasn't even denying cumberland the ball on inbounds (they using 2 defenders to prevent him from getting the ball, which is why jenifer is wide open)

the cameras didn't really show much until after the 2nd tech. its hard to tell exactly what happened before that point.
I was watching Cronin. He had his hands up and wasnt saying anything. The ref looked at him and T'd him up from 20-30 feet away. He then got heated and stormed to mid court. The second T I can understand why he got it, the first was absolutely the softest T I've ever seen in over 20 years. By far. If the refs feel they warned him about complaining about calls and that's why they T'd him then he is right in his postgame comments and they need to be held accountable. Those refs called what 45-50 fouls last night. You have to expect coaches wont like that and will complain. And his point also was the inconsistency. He gets T'd and ejected for that when he's coached 15 years and never been ejected and watched countless worse antics allowed to go on? Its ridiculous and he has a point. I like that he called the refs and league out in the postgame. By doing so he forces the league to hear him. Ultimately the success of the league rests on its top teams and thus its top coaches. Demanding consistency and more clarity in what officials will call and allow isnt too much to ask and should be a given. You want to be a top league and well respected then you need to conduct yourself as such. These fly by night refs they are using and the inconsistency of officiating should be an embarrassment for the league. Mick calling it out publically is exactly how you force the issue.

Last edited by david aka the TYZ; 01-16-2019 at 05:53 PM.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #136
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Lol

Frank Haith and dan Hurley both issues techs after jawing back at each other.

Dan tried to shake hands and then more techs are issued

Now both are ejected lol.

Mick’s point is in even more valid.

We have the worst officials in basketball
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:34 PM   #137
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
3 AAC ejections in 2 days
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:34 PM   #138
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Lol

this was just as stupid and maybe even ******* dumber than last night. then a tough guy second official calls 2nd ts on both guys, and haith was literally standing at his bench doing nothing.

what a ******* clown show these refs are.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #139
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Frank Haith seemed calm the entire time. Hurley was only animated after the first T. This is crazy.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #140
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Lol

Didn’t see it but I’m sure Hurley deserved it. He’s a giant jerk.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote