Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #1771
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I agree it would be nice to get a constant stream of rankings of RPI and Kenpom for teams either in or straddling lines of column 1 or 2...but that takes some effort. There is probably an easy way to do this but I am not a spread sheet genius...lol!

Those teams outside of column 1 or 2 aren't going to mean all that much to us in the end.
In terms of RPI (my least favorite metric) Jerry Palm used to have a tool called the Palm reader and when you clicked a specific team, it showed you in the side bar ways your team could improve its RPI that day by games on the schedule (teams you beat and teams you lost to)
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #1772
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
In terms of RPI (my least favorite metric) Jerry Palm used to have a tool called the Palm reader and when you clicked a specific team, it showed you in the side bar ways your team could improve its RPI that day by games on the schedule (teams you beat and teams you lost to)
I will continue to say this...RPI doesn't mean squat until the end when it starts to match the other metrics. But in the end it means a lot to the committee but they don't really evaluate this stuff until the end anyway.

Up until the last month or so Kenpom is better to look at while RPI is getting narrowed down.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #1773
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I will continue to say this...RPI doesn't mean squat until the end when it starts to match the other metrics. But in the end it means a lot to the committee but they don't really evaluate this stuff until the end anyway.

Up until the last month or so Kenpom is better to look at while RPI is getting narrowed down.

I don't recall our final RPI and Kenpom last year leading into the tourney but they were a lot closer than #7 and #34. They were probably closer to dead on around #12 or so within a few spots...again IDK.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #1774
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Warren Nolan's site has automated team sheets, separating the schedule into the four RPI groups. The Bearcats' team sheet is here: http://warrennolan.com/basketball/20...eam=Cincinnati

There is also a "Predicted Team Sheet" that gives us a total of five Group 1 wins at the end of the season. However, the predictions are deterministic, meaning the most likely result of each individual game is used. The deterministic approach has UC going 28-3 with the only loss at Wichita. Kenpom uses probabilistic predictions, which give us a 26-5 record.

Just to clarify further for non-nerds: say we play 10 games with a 60% chance of winning each. Our deterministic predicted record is 10-0. The probabilistic prediction is 6-4. Determinism gives poor forecasts, so it is likely that the RPIs in Warren Nolan's predicted team sheet will look quite different. It's still an interesting way to get a feel for what our resume may show in March.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #1775
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Warren Nolan's site has automated team sheets, separating the schedule into the four RPI groups. The Bearcats' team sheet is here: http://warrennolan.com/basketball/20...eam=Cincinnati

There is also a "Predicted Team Sheet" that gives us a total of five Group 1 wins at the end of the season. However, the predictions are deterministic, meaning the most likely result of each individual game is used. The deterministic approach has UC going 28-3 with the only loss at Wichita. Kenpom uses probabilistic predictions, which give us a 26-5 record.

Just to clarify further for non-nerds: say we play 10 games with a 60% chance of winning each. Our deterministic predicted record is 10-0. The probabilistic prediction is 6-4. Determinism gives poor forecasts, so it is likely that the RPIs in Warren Nolan's predicted team sheet will look quite different. It's still an interesting way to get a feel for what our resume may show in March.
Interesting stuff! I like the probabilistic prediction of 5 losses I think it's realistically probabilistic....lol! We should be favored in all games but 1 from here on out but that is not how it works.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #1776
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't recall our final RPI and Kenpom last year leading into the tourney but they were a lot closer than #7 and #34. They were probably closer to dead on around #12 or so within a few spots...again IDK.
Last year we ended at 12 RPI and 23 Kenpom.

Our RPI last year did this the final 16 weeks:
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #1777
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Yea RPI is junk in that if your a terrible mid major school but play 13 tough non conference games, you get rewarded.

But those teams always drop way down once They get well into conference play.

Kenpom is just the best. I actually don’t hate BPI as well.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #1778
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Today's RPI impact games:

Wyoming at New Mexico - Currently RPI 51, just barely into Group 2. 49% chance to win.

Miss St at Florida - Florida RPI 49 (Group 1), MS St RPI 65 (Group 2). Still lots of time left to determine where these teams fit in the SEC.

Last edited by sedziobs; 01-10-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #1779
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Last year we ended at 12 RPI and 23 Kenpom.

Our RPI last year did this the final 16 weeks:
I think we were well above 100 just a couple weeks ago. RPI is junk until late season. We have been Kenpom between #5 and #15 I think the whole time. Buffalo is still our best win in RPI...lol! I mean...go Buffalo...but RPI isn't a metric to use until the last month of the season. For us with our schedule severely back loaded...we might as well not look at it until the committee does.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #1780
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Our RPI is irrelevant. It's our opponents' RPIs that matter, more specifically what group they fall into. I think it's definitely worth keeping track of now.