Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #61
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
You know it's really fun watching the team grow. Williams, Brooks and Scott are starting to have a bigger impact on the games. I really think as the season unwinds We will be able to look back at on their development as a key to how the year plays out. Right now you can see on occasion they are developing that instinctive quick twitch needed to excel at this level. Having played many sports and having kids that did very well in athletics, I often told them the best moves I ever made playing sports I couldn't tell them how it happen It just happened. Lots of it I'm sure was coaching, repetition and instincts. As a fan it doesn't get any better then seeing the light come on for a kid who bust his butt trying to get better. Example Gary Clark!!! It's why I could never envision myself a fan of a one and done program.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #62
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garybearcat View Post
I agree about Cane! I don’t like to bring up Huggins but the thing I most respected about him was how hard his kids played for him. Mick has my utmost respect for this same reason. This current team to a man is playing all out for each other and you see it especially during a timeout. The team is really rooting for each other the whole game. Players don’t play this hard for a coach they dislike.
the perception that Micks players don't like him is a ploy to undermine his effectiveness as a leader of our program. Kids work and play hard for him. They also rarely transfer and many graduate. Their level of intensity is a result of how hard he coaches and the expectations he sets for them. It also wouldn't work without the accountability he uses to reinforce his demands.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #63
Garybearcat

Garybearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
the perception that Micks players don't like him is a ploy to undermine his effectiveness as a leader of our program. Kids work and play hard for him. They also rarely transfer and many graduate. Their level of intensity is a result of how hard he coaches and the expectations he sets for them. It also wouldn't work without the accountability he uses to reinforce his demands.
Isn’t that the lessons a college student athlete should be learning. I don’t think a player at the one and done schools will ever realize what it means to truly play your ass off.
Garybearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #64
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garybearcat View Post
Isn’t that the lessons a college student athlete should be learning. I don’t think a player at the one and done schools will ever realize what it means to truly play your ass off.
I certainly hope so.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #65
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I have never heard of this perception that Micks players dont like him, where has this been documented?
Old 11-25-2018, 09:02 PM   #66
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I have never heard of this perception that Micks players dont like him, where has this been documented?
nobody has ever said that. they've said he can rip their confidence away.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #67
jtsladder@aol.com

jtsladder@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
nobody has ever said that. they've said he can rip their confidence away.
Or help get it back in a big way like Broome. For instance
jtsladder@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #68
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
If mick’s players and people around him don’t like him.... then they sure are gluttons for punishment. Uc has some of the lowest transfer rates in high major college basketball.

Mick recruits kids who respond well to hard truths. Look at cane’s response to his first 2 games and being benched. He fought his way into the rotation again.

Meanwhile, Chris Mack was known as being a “players coach” and yet he seemed to always have a lot of kids transfer or never make it to campus.

My guess is that mick builds great relationships with his players off the court and then as soon as it’s winning time, they know it’s not going to be cupcakes and milkshakes anymore.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #69
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
can we give cane a bit more credit than that. benching or no benching he was never going to shoot 7% from the floor all season.

i'll also be willing to wager if moore is allowed to play again this season he won't finish the season shooting 0% from 3.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #70
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
can we give cane a bit more credit than that. benching or no benching he was never going to shoot 7% from the floor all season.

i'll also be willing to wager if moore is allowed to play again this season he won't finish the season shooting 0% from 3.
I don’t think Cane was ever benched. I also agree he was never going to shoot that bad. Coach wanted to get his attention on the defensive end of the floor and Cane responded very well.

Moore was a bit different in that his issue was conduct related without being in the game. His playing time had been reduced because others were playing better and he was in a slump. I hope he can put this behind him and start making a few shots. His skill outside shot would be a plus if he finds it.