Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Which games will we win?
@UNLV 25 92.59%
NKU 27 100.00%
Xavier 21 77.78%
@Miss St 8 29.63%
UCLA 22 81.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #11
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Well it's official now! With a statement game to end the 5 game stretch.

I am a happy fan and I was dead wrong about this team coming into the season and after 3 games. We are so far ahead of where I thought we were going to be.

These guys are playing well together and for the most part all seem to buy into their roles. The way Jenifer, Scott, and Brooks talk after games you can tell their focus is where coach wants it to be. The performance of Williams has been huge as well. Coach has done a great job...so far one of his best years...maybe his best if we can keep it rolling.
Agreed. Lets keep it moving.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #12
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I am a happy fan and I was dead wrong about this team coming into the season and after 3 games. We are so far ahead of where I thought we were going to be.

These guys are playing well together and for the most part all seem to buy into their roles. The way Jenifer, Scott, and Brooks talk after games you can tell their focus is where coach wants it to be. The performance of Williams has been huge as well. Coach has done a great job...so far one of his best years...maybe his best if we can keep it rolling.
WH, for me its more then this year. Coach has us positioned to continue to be a very good program. Next year we lose JJ and Broome. I am hoping Cumberland stays. We have Curtis coming and Logan back for a second year. If Williams, Brooks and Scott take the next step in their development we could have a very nice team. We are going to be very good with a very deep bench. While we do not get the one and doners we do get very good student athletes that are fun to watch over 4 years. We reload every year but it is with players that have been in the program.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #13
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
WH, for me its more then this year. Coach has us positioned to continue to be a very good program. Next year we lose JJ and Broome. I am hoping Cumberland stays. We have Curtis coming and Logan back for a second year. If Williams, Brooks and Scott take the next step in their development we could have a very nice team. We are going to be very good with a very deep bench. While we do not get the one and doners we do get very good student athletes that are fun to watch over 4 years. We reload every year but it is with players that have been in the program.
Completely agree. This year, even though we are looking very good, is really just the prelude to next year assuming Cumberland stays. JJ will be a bigger loss then I expected, but hopefully Logan can step in (or we bring in a grad transfer PG). Next year we will be loaded. Every starter and backup at every position but PG will have at least 3 years with the program.

4 seniors, 3 juniors, a redshirt sophomore and a sophomore. That is the type of veteran team that wins championships.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #14
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The defense is always so good. It doesn't matter who the players are, mick has a system defense that is dominant.

If he can find a way to get his offenses into the top 40 we are going to be a pain in the butt for our opponents every single season.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
The defense is always so good. It doesn't matter who the players are, mick has a system defense that is dominant.

If he can find a way to get his offenses into the top 40 we are going to be a pain in the butt for our opponents every single season.
A lot gets said about playing teams with 4 and 5 stars next to the players names. Most of that is based on offensive ability. But a good 5 star defense sure is a pretty good neutralizer.

I know Cronin has a great system but he could not be elite on D if he didn't recruit a good amount of elite athletes who can do the things he's asking. You look at guys like Jackson, Rubles, Evans, Clark, Williams, Johnson etc etc and you could probably put 5 stars next to their names on the defensive ability side. Look at Brooks and Nsoseme who are mobile bigs and can switch on guards. Logan could be one of the best defensive point guards walk through our doors in a long time.

Cronin needs players who can switch. He can hide one guy out there but if he has to hide more than that...it would start to break down.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #16
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A lot gets said about playing teams with 4 and 5 stars next to the players names. Most of that is based on offensive ability. But a good 5 star defense sure is a pretty good neutralizer.

I know Cronin has a great system but he could not be elite on D if he didn't recruit a good amount of elite athletes who can do the things he's asking. You look at guys like Jackson, Rubles, Evans, Clark, Williams, Johnson etc etc and you could probably put 5 stars next to their names on the defensive ability side. Look at Brooks and Nsoseme who are mobile bigs and can switch on guards. Logan could be one of the best defensive point guards walk through our doors in a long time.

Cronin needs players who can switch. He can hide one guy out there but if he has to hide more than that...it would start to break down.
Good post. There was one possession, around the 12 minute mark i think, that was unbelievable. The quickness that every player in the 2-3 zone showed in getting to their spots and cutting off lanes was absurd. Ended in a contested 3-point heave as the clock expired. I was beyond impressed last night. Granted it was one game but i didn't think I was going to even get that with the group this year. Might be time to reconsider the knock on Cronin of player development.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #17
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

im not sure i agree. cronin's defenses are a sum of the parts over anything individual. the list of guys you named aren't considered elite athletes. maybe you could say it about jackson and williams, but definitely not the others.

the way he gets us to switch and rotate means they don't have to be elite athletes, they just have to understand the system. i think he does need a certain amount of athletic ability, but i dont think its that high of a threshold.

look at some of the super freaks in the game of basketball now. keith williams wouldn't stand out from an athletic standpoint on some of the elite teams because a lot of their guys are explosive like him. he's probably the best athlete we've had under cronin.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #18
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I think of a guy like Biggie Mclain...he did not fit the mold of our system. He was I think a 4 star guy but looked like he had weights around his ankles. Sure it’s nice to get guys who are scorers AND athletic but every coach wants those. Cronin often has to settle for guys with limited skill but highly athletic. Mix in one or two scorers with limited athleticism and it starts to work.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #19
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
I think any reasonable Bearcat fan should be pretty happy with being 10-2, especially with the way we dominated X and UCLA. My only concern is that there is as very real chance we end the season with no OOC wins over at-large tournament teams, as UCLA, Ole Miss, and Xavier look awfully bubbly. However, the AAC has been better than expected and we should have plenty of chances at quality wins in conference.

I have seen more than enough to believe our NCAA Tournament streak will continue, and I don't expect us to be on the bubble come selection Sunday.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #20
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
im not sure i agree. cronin's defenses are a sum of the parts over anything individual. the list of guys you named aren't considered elite athletes. maybe you could say it about jackson and williams, but definitely not the others.

the way he gets us to switch and rotate means they don't have to be elite athletes, they just have to understand the system. i think he does need a certain amount of athletic ability, but i dont think its that high of a threshold.

look at some of the super freaks in the game of basketball now. keith williams wouldn't stand out from an athletic standpoint on some of the elite teams because a lot of their guys are explosive like him. he's probably the best athlete we've had under cronin.
Sure. I think I over simplified but other things play in. How coach able are the players etc. are they willing to put in the work and effort that it takes etc. look at Diara. He can’t be bought in to the system right now. When he does he should be on the court.