Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #391
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
According to Basketball reference (I use it because it is free, not sure what kenpom says) Diarra is the best defender on the team (best DRtg and DBPM), Moore is 3rd best and Davenport is 6th.

Also defensive metrics are probably a lot of baseballs defensive metrics, not something I'd trust 100%.

As an example they have cane broome as a better defender than justin jenifer each of the last 2 years and justin jenifer as the worst defender on the team both years.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #392
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Hopefully this team rebounds tonight against Valpo. Bad games happen, that's basketball... Lets see if any adjustments are made.... Yes I know this tournament sucks and its still November but they have to beat the breaks off Valpo tonight to salvage the terrible play over the last 3 days. If you barley win or god forbid we lose again it halts any momentum we may have going into a brutal stretch of the last non conference games.... We have UNLV, X, Vermont, Tennessee, Iowa and a Colegate team who should be 8-3 by the time we play them. This season could get real ugly real quick if they don't figure it out soon.
We cant lose tonight. Valpo is a bad team.

If we lose tonight Legend will be in full blown riot mode.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:42 AM   #393
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
We cant lose tonight. Valpo is a bad team.

If we lose tonight Legend will be in full blown riot mode.

Will start a change.org petition for him to resign? Can we impeach him if he loses? Can we prove that he colluded with Russia to throw the game last night?

Did John Brannen with hold critical aid from the Ukraine in exchange for an investigation of the Bidens?
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #394
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Also defensive metrics are probably a lot of baseballs defensive metrics, not something I'd trust 100%.

As an example they have cane broome as a better defender than justin jenifer each of the last 2 years and justin jenifer as the worst defender on the team both years.
I believe the DRTG and ORTG on Sports Reference has to do with what happens on the court per 100 possessions that a player is in. So a lot of that has to do with who else is on the court at the time.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #395
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Valpo doesn't have the size to match Vogt, so this should be a good game for him. He will probably be mostly guarded by a guy who is 6-8, 220 lbs.

Valpo is a very good offensive rebounding team though, which could cause problems. The guards have to box out and Vogt has to box out his much smaller man.

Like with many small teams, pretty much everyone can shoot the three - only one player on their team hasn't attempted a three. I expect the to try to spread us out and drive or shoot.

The biggest concern will be depth, especially if Jarron is too injured to go. Valpo seems to be deeper and we played later in the day then them yesterday and went to OT. We rely heavily on our main 6 (2 Cumberlands, Williams, Scott, Vogt, McNeal). At some point Brannen has to either play at a slower pace or rely more or other players.

Last edited by skyblade; 11-25-2019 at 12:04 PM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #396
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
yes these numbers are true. what's also true is their offense is so brutal they are negative overall players.

also barttorvik.com is free and gives you all kinds of awesome stats.
It does look like a nice site, more detailed than basketball reference, but also harder to use.

I'm not saying Diarra is great. But Diarra has far more potential to improve on O than Vogt does to improve on D. Vogt's offensive rating is so good largely because of the games against Alabama A&M and Illinois State, two teams without any size.

I don't think Vogt shouldn't get any playing time. If he is having a good game on offense, than ride him. But if he's not effective on offense (which he hasn't been against teams with size), than put Diarra in - he's a better defender and a better rebounder and will eventually figure out how to play offense.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #397
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
This is a terrible take, and just trying to excuse Brannens obvious mistakes. Just suck it up and admit Cronin doesn’t lose this game
Why do you keep saying Cronin wouldn't have lost this game? How the heck do you know what Cronin would have done? He lost to East Carolina just last year? He just lost to Hofsta at home in LA. He lost to Nevada with a 22 point lead. He lost to Presbyterian. He lost to East Carolina and Tulane in a same season. I am very mad about the loss. I put the majority of the blame on Brannen, but you guys all need to get over Cronin. He was not the best, but he was good. He's gone. Live in the present and hope this gets better.

Calling for a coaches head after 5 games? You guys sound literally insane. It's embarassing. Take it on the chin and move on. Who knows how Bowling Green will turn out. This isn't even that bad of a loss. They could win the MAC, and be the Buffalo of two years ago?

Last edited by GarradJ21; 11-25-2019 at 12:05 PM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #398
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #399
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Why do you keep saying Cronin wouldn't have lost this game? How the heck do you know what Cronin would have done? He lost to East Carolina just last year? He just lost to Hofsta at home in LA. He lost to Nevada with a 22 point lead. He lost to Presbyterian. He lost to East Carolina and Tulane in a same season. I am very mad about the loss. I put the majority of the blame on Brannen, but you guys all need to get over Cronin. He was not the best, but he was good. He's gone. Live in the present and hope this gets better.

Calling for a coaches head after 5 games? You guys sound literally insane. It's embarassing. Take it on the chin and move on. Who knows how Bowling Green will turn out. This isn't even that bad of a loss. They could win the MAC, and be the Buffalo of two years ago?

Dude you know Cronin would have won this game. Especially with Jarron Keith and trevon.

He would have won simply because he would have never let them drop 94 points on us.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #400
justinhub2003
Epic Member

I just looked at the raw offensive and defensive numbers. They are bad bad bad.

Like mid major bad.

Our offense is ranked #210
Our defense is 94