Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Who is exceeding your expectations the most?
Cumberland 6 16.67%
Williams 18 50.00%
Brooks 5 13.89%
Jenifer 7 19.44%
Scott 0 0%
Broome 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #1
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Who is exceeding expectations the most?

Out of our 6 heavy minute players who is your candidate for being the biggest surprise or exceeding what you expected?

We all thought Cumberland would be the go to guy but he has carried a very big load for us. 3% and FT% are way up. He's been clutch and does it all on the road or at home.

Williams has exploded onto the scene. His 3% has been a surprise. We can ISO him and he can make a play in a number of ways. He's so confident and doesn't back down from a challenge.

Jenifer has been improving year after year. His assist to turnover ratio is coming back to earth but he has been hitting 3's and making FT's at a high clip.

Brooks has frustrated me less and less as time goes on. He's been very efficient lately and is a decent low volume scoring option. He seems to be vocal out there as well keeping us together and focused when he's out there.

Scott is doing about what I was expecting from him but he's in a much bigger role and logging lots of minutes so he is very valuable in that regard.

Cane has bailed us out a couple of times but otherwise is below my expectations coming in. I hope he gets back into a groove.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Out of our 6 heavy minute players who is your candidate for being the biggest surprise or exceeding what you expected?

We all thought Cumberland would be the go to guy but he has carried a very big load for us. 3% and FT% are way up. He's been clutch and does it all on the road or at home.

Williams has exploded onto the scene. His 3% has been a surprise. We can ISO him and he can make a play in a number of ways. He's so confident and doesn't back down from a challenge.

Jenifer has been improving year after year. His assist to turnover ratio is coming back to earth but he has been hitting 3's and making FT's at a high clip.

Brooks has frustrated me less and less as time goes on. He's been very efficient lately and is a decent low volume scoring option. He seems to be vocal out there as well keeping us together and focused when he's out there.

Scott is doing about what I was expecting from him but he's in a much bigger role and logging lots of minutes so he is very valuable in that regard.

Cane has bailed us out a couple of times but otherwise is below my expectations coming in. I hope he gets back into a groove.
Cumberland is doing exactly what we are all hoped and thought he would be doing but maybe even better than expected. Just because we expect someone to play like this doesn't mean they will. Hats off to him for coming through and giving us everything we need and more.

The two biggest surprises have to be Keith Williams and Justin Jenifer. It's unreal what they are doing this year especially Keith. Jenifer's shooting wasn't that bad last year but it's obviously been even better this year. He's having a great senior year. No one expected what Keith is doing this year to happen until his junior year.

I figured Tre and Brooks would be solid once they had plenty of minutes. Brooks is probably better than expected but still didn't want to count either of them out until they played meaningful minutes this year and they are doing fine.

12 more games left, lets keep it up and have Cane hit more open looks. We get his 3pt shooting to be at the very least in the mid 20s at this point that will help.

The debate we should have in one of these threads is Cumberland vs. Kilpatrick but maybe we can save that for next year
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
I voted brooks, I knew k. Williams was going to be good eventually I didn’t know he was going to be this good this quick, but watching brooks this summer in Canada he looked awful, he has been very solid for us down low he’s slowing his game down offensively and he actually has some good post moves now. Also not as bad at ft’s as I was expecting
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
MylesFoxMorrisey

MylesFoxMorrisey is on a distinguished road
I voted Keith, just because I never thought he'd be so key in so many games thus far. However, while I hoped Jarron would be this good, I had big doubts he could actually do it, so in that sense hes exceeded expectations.
MylesFoxMorrisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #5
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
I voted brooks, I knew k. Williams was going to be good eventually I didn’t know he was going to be this good this quick, but watching brooks this summer in Canada he looked awful, he has been very solid for us down low he’s slowing his game down offensively and he actually has some good post moves now. Also not as bad at ft’s as I was expecting
I voted Williams. Biggest jump.

Can’t vote for brooks. 6’11” and can’t dunk on people. Weak under the basket, but sweet sweeping hook.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
This is easily Williams to me. I thought it would be his junior year before we saw anything consistent out of him. I saw him coming off the bench and possibly be behind Moore and Fredricks even for PT depending on his defense. For him to be starting and scoring like he is is a godsend for this team. Cumberland and jenifer and Brooks are kind of doing what I thought they were capable of. Granted they are all maxing out what I may have hoped for them, but i cant say any of their production is a complete surprise. Scott has been OK for me. He's had his moments and is scoring better than I thought but he's inconsistent. Broome, I'm not even sure why he's on this list. I might have the least expectations of anyone on here for him and he still isnt even giving me that. I figured he'd probably start and be giving us 12-13 a game. I thought he'd be a better open shooter than he has been too.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:47 AM   #7
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
I figured Williams would have quite the jump. He's right around where I expected him to be...maybe a tad better. Brooks has been a nice surprise. I voted JJ. We always knew he could pass and facilitate, but he's averaging double figure scoring in conference play and shooting really well from 3. I don't know if any of you thought he'd be playing at the clip he is, but I did not. I figured him to be solid, but as of now he is playing stellar and a big reason we are 5-1 16-3. Hopefully he will continue this level. It is huge.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:14 AM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
I figured Williams would have quite the jump. He's right around where I expected him to be...maybe a tad better. Brooks has been a nice surprise. I voted JJ. We always knew he could pass and facilitate, but he's averaging double figure scoring in conference play and shooting really well from 3. I don't know if any of you thought he'd be playing at the clip he is, but I did not. I figured him to be solid, but as of now he is playing stellar and a big reason we are 5-1 16-3. Hopefully he will continue this level. It is huge.
I think we all saw some glimpses of Williams his freshman year. He could get to the rim and finish, he made a few step back J's, etc. He was not used heavily so I didn't know what to expect in extended minutes or even if he would be behind Moore or Fredericks. I was also hoping he could come close to doubling his 3 point 15% rate. I was thinking he would end in the high 20's and I guess that could still happen but so far he's exceeding even that. But his block rate is also way up. I did not expect the consistency he is putting up either...thought he would be more streaky with points.

I expected Jenifer to be a little bit better than last year. He has also exceeded expectations but not by as much IMO. He's just doing the things he was doing better...but he's done that pretty much each year.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #9
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
I have to go with JJ....he is leading the conference in assist/TO ration which I knew was possible. However, his 3% has been shocking. I never thought I would see Jenifer lead the league in a significant scoring category. I don’t even want to think how bad this team would be without his confidence and command of the offense.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #10
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Easily would of been Jenifer if it wasn't for Williams having an almost 180 from last year.

From last year, he has improved by 7.9ppg, 2 rbp, .7 steals, and improved field goal % by 12.

He can really take another leap next year even, with improved FT shooting and rebounding at a higher clip given his athleticism.

Jenifer is a close 2nd though - his point uptick was needed.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote