Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #21
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
Sorry, but Nyarsuk doesn't know which end's up. Gaines actually made a nice block and assist today, but no rebounds for either one sucks. Both have to stand their ground in the paint. Every time they leave their post position, the other team penetrates for an uncontested score.Both are really raw, but at least Gaines can jump. You never see daylight under Nyarsuk's feet. I foster no hope for any incoming recruits until they get here, and we can see them play against our early year patsies. Remember, they've only played vs HS opposition (or maybe a summer league). They have to EARN respect for their play here if they want to be on the floor with the team.
Nyrasuk gets a free pass because he is undersized and it is his first year in D1. Gaines has had 3 years and while he shows glimpses, has never been able to put it together consistenly. Nyrasuk has shown some offensive potential (I.e. Pitt, first time) and lets be honest, it at least takes 1 year to adjust, especially with big guys. Rubles also deserves somewhat of a pass, because many forget that this is also his first year. While he wasn't the immediate offensive impact I was hoping for, he also shows spurts of good play. Tear down and recreate his shot, he has tons of potential. Gaines still looks lost, although he has looked much better recently. The new recruits are on a different talent level than any really recent Cronin class. While I agree they must earn it and there will be an adjustment period, I think there could be a few immediate impact guys in this class, which could help lighten the scoring burden.
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #22
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Bearcat04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
Their D must have been pretty good, too. Syracuse scored 39 points. Even we had more than that before OT.
Very good defensively, but not quite the level of UL. Offense is the big difference between the two teams. I could see us outscoring Georgetown if we played really well. Not sure I could see us outscoring this UL team.
Bearcat04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #23
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat04 View Post
Very good defensively, but not quite the level of UL. Offense is the big difference between the two teams. I could see us outscoring Georgetown if we played really well. Not sure I could see us outscoring this UL team.
Louisville is the best team in the country right now. They won 12 of their 14 BE games by double digits and most of those were 15-17 point games. I want no part of them. If UC plays focused and sticks to the game plan, they definitely have a better chance of defeating Georgetown.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #24
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Bearcat04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Louisville is the best team in the country right now. They won 12 of their 14 BE games by double digits and most of those were 15-17 point games. I want no part of them. If UC plays focused and sticks to the game plan, they definitely have a better chance of defeating Georgetown.
Agreed. IU might be the betting favorite, but Louisville is the best team in the country right now. I think their front court would be a matchup nightmare for IU's soft bigs. I also heard that ridiculous stat about Louisville's conference domination. I believe they had an average margin of victory of 16 in the BE.
Bearcat04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #25
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
I said last night that at this moment you'd have to call them favorites to win the BEast tourny and national championship.

I like that the regular season is over. The Bearcats can relax mentally to some degree. Fresh start for a team who had played tight as a banjo string for weeks. I think in terms of this teams expectations and disappointments, a reset may actually help them refocus in pursuit of redemption. No, I don't think they will win the tournament, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them win a couple games.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #26
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Our draw is pretty good considering our record. Out of all the bye teams I think we match up with gtown the best. Agreed with people saying this team can start fresh and play free.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #27
BearcatMick
Elite Member

BearcatMick is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I said last night that at this moment you'd have to call them favorites to win the BEast tourny and national championship.

I like that the regular season is over. The Bearcats can relax mentally to some degree. Fresh start for a team who had played tight as a banjo string for weeks. I think in terms of this teams expectations and disappointments, a reset may actually help them refocus in pursuit of redemption. No, I don't think they will win the tournament, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them win a couple games.
Completely disagree. Georgetown is playing incredible basketball right now
BearcatMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #28
BearcatMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Our draw is pretty good considering our record. Out of all the bye teams I think we match up with gtown the best. Agreed with people saying this team can start fresh and play free.
It's a tough draw. Providence is clinging to the bubble and Georgetown just destroyed Syracuse

We match up better against ul than gtown
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #29
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatMick View Post
It's a tough draw. Providence is clinging to the bubble and Georgetown just destroyed Syracuse

We match up better against ul than gtown
Are you smoking something? Did you actually watch us play UL. I would rather play gtown all day long than loserville. No need to elaborate on it and your comment is asinine.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #30
BearcatMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Are you smoking something? Did you actually watch us play UL. I would rather play gtown all day long than loserville. No need to elaborate on it and your comment is asinine.
No need for ad hominem attacks. You are simply wrong.

Georgetown is better than ul right now. They play much better half court d and offense. Ul gives up more easy baskets because of their frenetic style of play. Uc plays much better with the frenetic pace than with the slow grind it out style