Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #161
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
That was supposed to be metaphorical, not literal. Sorry. But, while we might have possessed "skill and athleticism", they had (and McDermott has) finesse, which the dictionary defines as eloquence of execution. The ball rolls off his fingers with lots of backspin, just like Kobe or LeBron would put it up. That's why his shots hit nothing but net. Did he ever hit the rim on 12 of 12 from the FT line? We, too often, just throw the ball in the vicinty of the rim and hope. Thus our low % shooting. McD struggled vs Duke because they sagged on him, but still scored 21 (although only 25%).
We need some finesse players. The epitome of finesse was Oscar. I was fortunate enough to watch him play. Smooth as silk. And that was in the day when they called fouls, traveling, palming, etc., and he still averaged a triple double his senior year (3's weren't invented yet). McD is no Oscar, but he does have finesse.Unfortunately, you can't teach it. Either you have it or you don't.
I agree and that was the point of my original statement. I want guys that put the ball in the hoop, not guys who fit the mold or have potential but can't score. We've brought in high potential guys and athletes, not ballplayers. McDermott is a ballplayer, not an athlete. Some of it is bad luck, but some is the guys Mick brings in. I get he hasn't been able to land the big he wants, but bring in a guy who can at least put the ball in the hoop from three feet as opposed to all these shot-blockers. In the future I want when we have to settle for a pick because our main target doesn't come here to default to a guy that can at least hit a three-foot shot instead of going after the projects.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #162
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
SOLELY???? Did you see are inside game. Couple that with Cash's drop off and we were really operating at a disadvantage.
The lack of inside game is something the coaching staff should have adjusted for and they never did. They should have adjusted for the inability for the 3 guards to get by their defender but they never did. That kind of stuff is on the coaches. You can't just chalk it up to "welp, we don't have an inside game so nothing we can do about it now".
Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #163
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
I don't think they are replacing Mick nor do I want them to. That doesn't mean he doesn't make excuses. It's pretty obvious he does in a lot of cases.
I guess being honest is making excuses. He can't win. If he is critical of the play he is rolling over on his players. If he defends them and offers a explanation for their play he is making excuses. If a guy plays bad he doesn't teach them enough. If a guy plays well its in spite of him. Here is the facts the program is growing and heading in the right direction since his arrival. They are making the Dance and winning. Recruiting is improving and so is attendence. Has he won a National title, No! Will he? Will see. Right now if people had to give a opinion of the job he's done since his arrival i'd say most would say he has exceded expectations. Most thought we would never see the tourney again.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #164
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
I guess being honest is making excuses. He can't win. If he is critical of the play he is rolling over on his players. If he defends them and offers a explanation for their play he is making excuses. If a guy plays bad he doesn't teach them enough. If a guy plays well its in spite of him. Here is the facts the program is growing and heading in the right direction since his arrival. They are making the Dance and winning. Recruiting is improving and so is attendence. Has he won a National title, No! Will he? Will see. Right now if people had to give a opinion of the job he's done since his arrival i'd say most would say he has exceded expectations. Most thought we would never see the tourney again.
That simply isn't true.

He has done a good job getting to the tourny. I'd say he may be slightly below my expectations, but I did have very high expectations for him.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #165
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
The lack of inside game is something the coaching staff should have adjusted for and they never did. They should have adjusted for the inability for the 3 guards to get by their defender but they never did. That kind of stuff is on the coaches. You can't just chalk it up to "welp, we don't have an inside game so nothing we can do about it now".
What color is the sun in your world.? They won and made the tourney with no inside game and their best player injured.. They didn't chalk up anything. They played hard and had a winning season. Please don't give me the, my expectations are low crap or the he doesn't coach up his players. If he doesn't coach up his players how is he winning and going to the tourney? Nobody wins the tourney every year.This team did not have the talent to win the national title to begin with. They were a good team with no post player and a often injured PG who has trouble logging lots of minutes. So whats next for you. He should have recruited better. Well my friend, you win some of those battles and you lose some. Fact is with the talent he had there wasn't alot of options. If you think you or anyone on this blog is qualified to dress Mick down for not making adjustments your crazy. Questioning and assuming you have the answers are two very different things. LOL!!! I really love the he should have adjusted. Yea he should have sprinkled magic dust over the team and made them all all stars. he should ahave adjsuted. The whole seaon was about adjusting to the fact he didn't have a center that could make a bunny and our PG was injured. I'm not a Mick lover but anybody that can't see that he is a good coach and we are lucky to have him is blind. He would be scooped up in a second if he made himself available.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #166
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
That simply isn't true.

He has done a good job getting to the tourny. I'd say he may be slightly below my expectations, but I did have very high expectations for him.
Whats not true? Most fans wanted him gone the second he arrived. The reason it has taken the fan base so long to come back is most would have to eat crow. You probably fit that mold.Your real good at the backhanded compliment. He's doing a good job but....fact is mick has forgotten more basketball than you and his critics will ever know. You want to help the program buy a ticket and get a fat head to wave. Let mick do the coaching.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 03-27-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #167
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

LongHaul sorry if I'm a tad sarcastic. I'm just tired of people coming on the blog acting like they have D1 coaching skills. When you point out they don't they hit you with you have low expectations,he doesn't teach anyone, he can't recruit,he disrspects the players or no one gets better under him. Well the program has gotten better and its best days may be ahead. He has lifted this program from the ashes and has it moving up the right way. Could someone have done it better and faster? Sure. But Mick was the guy they hired. Mick and his teams have gotten better every year nad they represent the University and the city very well. I'm happy he's here and hope he gets us a Title. For what he has had to endure personnaly from the fan base he gets my respect.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #168
User Name:

User Name: is on a distinguished road
Quote:
SOLELY???? Did you see are inside game. Couple that with Cash's drop off and we were really operating at a disadvantage.
I'm not disputing the lack of inside game or the injury to Cash. I'm disputing the fact that many on here are blaming Cash's injuries as the sole reason he individually and the team struggled post depaul.

My argument is that the strength of schedule is the main proponent of the team's struggles post depaul, but Cash's injuries certainly didn't help. The team was simply exploited, in part, by better teams particularly inside
Old 03-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #169
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
What color is the sun in your world.? They won and made the tourney with no inside game and their best player injured.. They didn't chalk up anything. They played hard and had a winning season. Please don't give me the, my expectations are low crap or the he doesn't coach up his players. If he doesn't coach up his players how is he winning and going to the tourney? Nobody wins the tourney every year.This team did not have the talent to win the national title to begin with. They were a good team with no post player and a often injured PG who has trouble logging lots of minutes. So whats next for you. He should have recruited better. Well my friend, you win some of those battles and you lose some. Fact is with the talent he had there wasn't alot of options. If you think you or anyone on this blog is qualified to dress Mick down for not making adjustments your crazy. Questioning and assuming you have the answers are two very different things. LOL!!! I really love the he should have adjusted. Yea he should have sprinkled magic dust over the team and made them all all stars. he should ahave adjsuted. The whole seaon was about adjusting to the fact he didn't have a center that could make a bunny and our PG was injured. I'm not a Mick lover but anybody that can't see that he is a good coach and we are lucky to have him is blind. He would be scooped up in a second if he made himself available.
I think Mick is a good coach. Never said he wasn't. This team played worse than the talent they had. It's funny that this team all of a sudden had no talent according to you. The offense sucked and it wasn't solely because they didn't have a center. Lots of teams don't have great centers yet can score. I don't think his offense was structured to take advantage of what he had. If you think that means I think he should be fired, then think that all you want.

Quote:
Whats not true? Most fans wanted him gone the second he arrived. The reason it has taken the fan base so long to come back is most would have to eat crow. You probably fit that mold.Your real good at the backhanded compliment. He's doing a good job but....fact is mick has forgotten more basketball than you and his critics will ever know. You want to help the program buy a ticket and get a fat head to wave. Let mick do the coaching.
No, saying that most fans wanted him fired is absolutely false. There is something called the vocal minority. Saying most fans wanted him fired is just silly.

I loved when Mick was hired. It was in my opinion a great hire. I still believe that. Maybe you can go back and look at my posts when this site was created. Of course you'll casually ignore this and think I hate Cronin because I am at times critical of his coaching.

I have season tickets. Get over yourself.

Quote:
LongHaul sorry if I'm a tad sarcastic. I'm just tired of people coming on the blog acting like they have D1 coaching skills. When you point out they don't they hit you with you have low expectations,he doesn't teach anyone, he can't recruit,he disrspects the players or no one gets better under him. Well the program has gotten better and its best days may be ahead. He has lifted this program from the ashes and has it moving up the right way. Could someone have done it better and faster? Sure. But Mick was the guy they hired. Mick and his teams have gotten better every year nad they represent the University and the city very well. I'm happy he's here and hope he gets us a Title. For what he has had to endure personnaly from the fan base he gets my respect.
First, this isn't a blog. Second, because I didn't coach at the D1 level I can't offer opinions of his coaching? Did you coach? Did you play? Do you offer opinions on players? Such a stupid argument. I at least played at a high level and was a division was collegiate athlete....at UC. I'm guessing you didn't. You can usually tell the ones who didn't because they always make excuses for things. Players that played at a high level are never satisfied. Even when they win they look to see what could be improved upon. That is what coaches do as well and I'm sure Mick does it too.

Again, I still support Mick, loved his hire, hope he coaches here until he retires, but quit being so damn sensitive of any criticism on him.
Closed Thread