Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Louisville looks like the best team in the conference to me. Cincy, UConn, and Memphis are fairly even with SMU close behind. The next 5 teams are waaaaaay behind. I would be shocked if the top 5 teams lose more than 5 games total against the bottom 5.

I think the top 5 all finish with at least 11 wins and everyone else finishes below .500. Louisville will likely win the regular season, but with no more than 15 wins.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I still don't know what to predict after what I saw today and what we saw against X. With the recent trend I am leaning toward bigger things. I think we are definitely top 25 right now...and maybe/probably better.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #13
Robert
Elite Member

We have 6 games left against the good teams in the league. My gut tells me we split those and lay a stinker against one of the lesser teams, leaving us at 14-4 in the AAC and 25-6 overall. If that happens, we get about a 4-seed in the tournament as long as we don't get upset early in the conference tournament.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #14
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Toughest games remaining are 2x Louisville, 2x UConn, @SMU and Memphis. Any other road game also could be a potential loss.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
We have 6 games left against the good teams in the league. My gut tells me we split those and lay a stinker against one of the lesser teams, leaving us at 14-4 in the AAC and 25-6 overall. If that happens, we get about a 4-seed in the tournament as long as we don't get upset early in the conference tournament.
This is the type of prediction I am dreaming of but don't have the nuts to predict just yet.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #16
BearcatMick
Elite Member

BearcatMick is an unknown quantity at this point
We got the win at memphis. I think we lose at Loserville and at some random team like SMU.

Win the rest.

2 conference losses…
Old 01-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #17
Robert
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
This is the type of prediction I am dreaming of but don't have the nuts to predict just yet.
I'm usually conservative with my predictions as well, but I'm going to go out on a limb this time. When I compare what we've done so far this season compared to what we did at this point the past 3 seasons, I am very optimistic.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #18
Robert
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatMick View Post
We got the win at memphis. I think we lose at Loserville and at some random team like SMU.

Win the rest.

2 conference losses…
I consider SMU to be more than just some random team. They just beat UConn and are a legitimate NCAA at-large contender. If we lose our return date in Dallas, I won't be shocked... although I do believe we will win that game.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
Based on what I've read recently, you don't learn nearly as much from teams when they play lesser competition as you do when they play solid to good competition. And while Louisville has actually played a schedule that rates as more difficult than UC's, they have only played 4 games against top 100 teams and lost to the 2 name brands (their 2 wins were beat downs though).

So maybe they aren't the best team in the country. But I think its fair to say that they are the best team in the conference. And since every team plays each other twice, I'd say they are the clear favorite (but that doesn't mean they would win the conference 72% of the time).
It's really tough to say this early, even with the win, what we can do. We lost to X by 20 and then beat a top 20 team on the road by 16. Certainly we should look to recent play as a guideline rather than early season play.

We have played so well in the last 6 games that I'm still not sure just how to evaluate our team. My heart says we are top 10 but my head keeps saying remember Xavier.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:52 AM   #20
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It's really tough to say this early, even with the win, what we can do. We lost to X by 20 and then beat a top 20 team on the road by 16. Certainly we should look to recent play as a guideline rather than early season play.

We have played so well in the last 6 games that I'm still not sure just how to evaluate our team. My heart says we are top 10 but my head keeps saying remember Xavier.
as hard as it is for me to say,you may want to consider X is not a bad team. Since beating us they have played very well.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote