Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #61
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think there must be a way to get a little better at defensive rebounding while still playing the same style of D we play. As has been mentioned we switch on everything and we try and contest every shot close to the basket often times putting our bigs out of position to get a rebound. Whether they are closing on a 3 point shooter or going for a block...it's pretty hard to box out when you are in the air.

That is something we, as a team, have said we are willing to trade off to some extent. I am sure we could make some adjustments but I think we would have to give up something in another area. I think Cronin's dream is having 5 guys who can switch (especially bigs on guards)...so I doubt that philosophy will change much. It produces very good results every year on D...but we are going to give up some defensive rebounds and corner 3's as the nature of the beast.

Our biggest improvements are going to need to come on the other side of the ball.

i dont think the defensive rebounding is some glaring issue that must be solved. ill take the great overall defense all day.

just as long as we dont let anybody do what we did to xavier in 2017 and collect 48.7% of our misses, that would be a problem.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #62
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
and this is true of cronin's teams every year. exceptional at offensive rebounding, below average at defensive rebounding.

and it both makes sense. we often put 2 bigs on the post when not a lot of teams do it anymore and we attack the offensive glass. on defense we switch and rotate and have bigs defending 3's and stuff, it makes it tough to always be able to box out.

but they really need to try to lock down for saturday. xavier is good at offensive rebounding and very good at offense in general. we can't afford to let them get their misses when they do miss.
We're bad about going for blocks too much. I haven't paid attention this year so I'll have to watch for it. But last year Brooks was really bad about it. There are times to go for blocks (mostly when it's possible to get it...) but I see our bigs often jumping too late and out of position for the rebound. This is why Nsoseme gets as much time as he does.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #63
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Ah, waterhead beat me to it
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote