Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-03-2022, 05:15 PM   #41
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If we keep adding the 6'5" to 6'8" wings with length/reach and skill we can play with a 6'0" PG no problem. It would be nice if the PG was a good defender I can agree but Mike will improve. Now if we also get a 6'5" PG that would be something for us to be able to go with position less BB 1-4. Not sure we are recruiting that PG at the moment though.

I am okay with 3 wings/forwards with one Big and one PG. Reed, Skillings and Griffith or Swain etc. Collier and Booker would be nice!! Trey Green is only 5'10" but I would take him too.
The problem is that MAW is already on the team as a PG and seems to have himself firmly established in front of Saunders. So unless MAW moves to SG next year, Saunders is going to be stuck behind him for possibly two more years (if MAW takes the Covid year).

Given that Skillings, McGinnis and Mason will all also be competing for SG minutes and MAW has thrived in the PG role, it seems like a safe bet to me that MAW will start at PG next year for us.

I'm good with positionless or one PG. Wes seems to be recruiting for 3 wings/forwards, one true big and one PG. Though he has offered some bigger than average PG's (and some smaller than average PG's)
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:49 PM   #42
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Mason certainly seems a bit more flexible but he also seems sub par as a PG type ball handler or skilled wing driver. He's a good passer and should be a good shooter so I would think it will be tough for him to play the 1 or 3 other than in a pinch. He's a SG IMO...with limited ability off the bounce to create or get in the lane. Wes is looking for the wings/forwards of the future so Mason has his work cut out for him unless he gets that 3 ball going towards 40% low volume or 35%+ with high volume. I think he can do that...but doing it in games is the ultimate measuring stick.
Yeah, he's not a great PG or SF, but the idea of positionless basketball is the benefits of having interchangeable parts outweigh the negatives of not having strong elite skills in one area. Mason is competent enough to contribute at the 1-3 positions, which can't be said of anyone else on our team. MAW would be the next closest, though he's undersized with limited athleticism at the 3 and doesn't have great slashing skills being so reliant on his left-hand. DDJ has a SF skillset in a PG body. Saunders is undersized and can't create his own shot in the half court. Newman has weak handles and shooting.

Ideally we bring in 6'5"+ players who can play 1-4, but smaller guys are fine if they can defend, rebound, and finish at the rim. We've had players like that before (Jaquon Parker, Marvin Gentry, Immanuel McElroy). Mason is not there yet, but I think he has potential. He has instincts, and I think he should be more aggressive attacking the basket at times. He really needs to become a better rebounder to play on the wing though.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:58 AM   #43
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
The problem is that MAW is already on the team as a PG and seems to have himself firmly established in front of Saunders. So unless MAW moves to SG next year, Saunders is going to be stuck behind him for possibly two more years (if MAW takes the Covid year).

Given that Skillings, McGinnis and Mason will all also be competing for SG minutes and MAW has thrived in the PG role, it seems like a safe bet to me that MAW will start at PG next year for us.

I'm good with positionless or one PG. Wes seems to be recruiting for 3 wings/forwards, one true big and one PG. Though he has offered some bigger than average PG's (and some smaller than average PG's)
MAW already starts at PG this year. Mike already gets 20+ minutes with DDJ as the starting 2 guard. He's 5th on the team in minutes.

Mason and McGinnis are already well behind Mike in the pecking order. Add Skillings to that equation and it would seem to me to hurt McGinnis and Mason more than Mike.

Now if DDJ leaves then someone has to play the 2 guard and that will not be Mike but it could be MAW if Mason, McGinnis and Skillings aren't good enough options...and we have seen two of them play already.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:26 PM   #44
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Yeah, he's not a great PG or SF, but the idea of positionless basketball is the benefits of having interchangeable parts outweigh the negatives of not having strong elite skills in one area. Mason is competent enough to contribute at the 1-3 positions, which can't be said of anyone else on our team. MAW would be the next closest, though he's undersized with limited athleticism at the 3 and doesn't have great slashing skills being so reliant on his left-hand. DDJ has a SF skillset in a PG body. Saunders is undersized and can't create his own shot in the half court. Newman has weak handles and shooting.

Ideally we bring in 6'5"+ players who can play 1-4, but smaller guys are fine if they can defend, rebound, and finish at the rim. We've had players like that before (Jaquon Parker, Marvin Gentry, Immanuel McElroy). Mason is not there yet, but I think he has potential. He has instincts, and I think he should be more aggressive attacking the basket at times. He really needs to become a better rebounder to play on the wing though.
I am just not sure how much Wes can or will change his approach next year when we return all the same perimeter players (not sure on DDJ). Reed and Skillings can only alter the equation so much as frosh (but I hope they do). I really hope they do! So I tend to think Mike and Mason etc are in for similar roles again.

It's the following year that I believe the style can/will change a little as we get lengthier on the wing and the frosh get a year under their belt and we bring in some higher caliber frosh (fingers crossed) who are ready from day 1.

A guy like Collier or Griffith can probably plug and play.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:36 PM   #45
Lefty

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am just not sure how much Wes can or will change his approach next year when we return all the same perimeter players (not sure on DDJ). Reed and Skillings can only alter the equation so much as frosh (but I hope they do). I really hope they do! So I tend to think Mike and Mason etc are in for similar roles again.

It's the following year that I believe the style can/will change a little as we get lengthier on the wing and the frosh get a year under their belt and we bring in some higher caliber frosh (fingers crossed) who are ready from day 1.

A guy like Collier or Griffith can probably plug and play.
As we all know/realize, time is of the essence entering
the Big 12. We gonna get our lunch handed to us.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:39 PM   #46
Lefty

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post

I-Mac was one of the most enjoyable Bearcats to watch !
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 04:52 PM   #47
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
As we all know/realize, time is of the essence entering
the Big 12. We gonna get our lunch handed to us.
One more solid class will put us on the right track