Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Good breakdown Jeff. Pretty much nailed it. We have absolutely zero instead scoring threats. I really wonder what we will do when we start facing teams with real size and centers. Its a major concern because once again, our offense is just really easy to defend.
I think our inside scoring is better this year then it was last year.... I think Justin and Rubles will be fine getting buckets around the paint. Also with them being smaller, they should be able to take most teams 4 and 5 off of quickness.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
I think our inside scoring is better this year then it was last year.... I think Justin and Rubles will be fine getting buckets around the paint. Also with them being smaller, they should be able to take most teams 4 and 5 off of quickness.
I would have to agree here. At first glance it seems like a problem that we can't get our bigs to establish position at the block rather than about 6-8 feet away...but that is where their quickness comes in handy.

I would rather we catch it on the block so we can play the inside out passing game that Cronin was talking about before the season, at the same time our bigs can take advantage of their quickness away from the bucket. The latter option doesn't help our overall offense much though.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would have to agree here. At first glance it seems like a problem that we can't get our bigs to establish position at the block rather than about 6-8 feet away...but that is where their quickness comes in handy.

I would rather we catch it on the block so we can play the inside out passing game that Cronin was talking about before the season, at the same time our bigs can take advantage of their quickness away from the bucket. The latter option doesn't help our overall offense much though.
I guess we will see as the season goes on. I have a feeling not having an inside prescense will hurt our one dimension offense.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I guess we will see as the season goes on. I have a feeling not having an inside prescense will hurt our one dimension offense.
I agree...if we can't catch the ball on the block it's going to disrupt our offense. We don't have a Martin, Fortson, Maxiell, Hicks, Brannen, Gates, etc who can back a guy down to the block and receive a pass...and then score or kick it back out.

We need the space between the low block and the perimeter to allow our guards and wings to operate. Without this type of presence the other team can guard the perimeter.

We need to somehow get the ball between the perimeter and the block. If our bigs are receiving passes 6 feet off the block there is a log jam.

I think KJ and DM (as well as SK and ST etc) can beat their man and get in there as long as our bigs aren't clogging that area because they can't establish position on the block.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Did you watch the pre season games??? Justin posted up nearly every play and scored at will.... Even yesterday he scored in the post.

Yes against weaker competition.. But our inside presence is an upgrade from last season.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

The zone breaks down when you can infiltrate the space between the block and the perimeter because the defenders have to collapse towards the ball which leaves other areas of the zone open for a brief moment.

I don't see GG and JS as being the type of guys who are great at zone busting even if they are solid at other things. We need to keep JJ on the block...even if he doesn't have position...and then insert zone busters like KJ or DM (who can beat their man off the dribble) or ST, JL or TR who can slash.

JJ can clean up whatever is left.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
The zone breaks down when you can infiltrate the space between the block and the perimeter because the defenders have to collapse towards the ball which leaves other areas of the zone open for a brief moment.

I don't see GG and JS as being the type of guys who are great at zone busting even if they are solid at other things. We need to keep JJ on the block...even if he doesn't have position...and then insert zone busters like KJ or DM (who can beat their man off the dribble) or ST, JL or TR who can slash.

JJ can clean up whatever is left.
The team is a work in progress. GG is just emerging. He had a coupe nice drives that failed to fall, but they will. I don't think he's turned it over. With the exception of SK, the rest of the team is "pie in the sky" until they prove themselves. What's with Titus and that flatfooted 2 pt shot? Leftover from last year - undoubtedly the ugliest delivery in college basketball. It seldom works. Give them a chance to gel. JJ is way better than last year, but hasn't faced any real competition. The zone befuddled him. But he gives 110%. I'm waiting for somebody to emerge. Shaquille looked like last years JJ when he put the ball on the floor. Only difference is we've seen that he can do it (last year) correctly and successfully. He may fail occasionally, but at least he tries to drive. I was hoping he would be our "secret weapon". I think Sanders starts in his place next game unless his D picks up. Shaquille needs to take a lesson from SK and slow down his impulses until he finds a good tempo. Poor JDIII is our lost soul. You want him in, but in place of whom? If he's only to be used to relieve SK, he's going get splinters. He seems to have the BB IQ always talked about on this board.
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Did you watch the pre season games??? Justin posted up nearly every play and scored at will.... Even yesterday he scored in the post.

Yes against weaker competition.. But our inside presence is an upgrade from last season.
Offensivley it's an upgrade and defensively I am hoping a wash. JJ can swat balls like Mooj but we will see what he can do against bigger players. Mooj was pretty good about establishing position.

Yes JJ had a nice up and under move in the last game but I thought he was working a lot of the time from too far off the block. As I mentioned he has an advantage off the block but it also clogs up where our guards and wings can go. I would prefer he is always on the block because I think he can score there too and it leaves that space open for our other players to create.

Then we just need someone other than SK attacking and I am not sure that is GG or JS. We need players on the perimeter who can get in the area between the low block and the perimeter to bust a zone. My top options at this point would be ST, JL, TR, and KJ (and DM if he plays). I also like JDIII in zone because he can shoot and create. We will stuggle in zone as long as GG and JS are our main minute providers at the 1 and 3 IMO...unless their agressiveness changes.

We just need these players to be the guys who are doing the most of what Mick wants them to do or not to do. Right now those players are GG and JS.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
The team is a work in progress. GG is just emerging. He had a coupe nice drives that failed to fall, but they will. I don't think he's turned it over. With the exception of SK, the rest of the team is "pie in the sky" until they prove themselves. What's with Titus and that flatfooted 2 pt shot? Leftover from last year - undoubtedly the ugliest delivery in college basketball. It seldom works. Give them a chance to gel. JJ is way better than last year, but hasn't faced any real competition. The zone befuddled him. But he gives 110%. I'm waiting for somebody to emerge. Shaquille looked like last years JJ when he put the ball on the floor. Only difference is we've seen that he can do it (last year) correctly and successfully. He may fail occasionally, but at least he tries to drive. I was hoping he would be our "secret weapon". I think Sanders starts in his place next game unless his D picks up. Shaquille needs to take a lesson from SK and slow down his impulses until he finds a good tempo. Poor JDIII is our lost soul. You want him in, but in place of whom? If he's only to be used to relieve SK, he's going get splinters. He seems to have the BB IQ always talked about on this board.
I agree with all of that. But if we want to see minutes from JDIII I can think of minutes to give him. From what I have seen from our PG's they aren't breaking down defenses...they are basically facilitating the first pass. JDIII can do that.

If we had a PG who was breaking down defenses and creating I would say leave JDIII on the bench. The way our offense works we don't need a true PG. If or when it becomes apparent that other players can't bring the ball up the court without turning it over...I am OK with scrapping the traditional PG idea for now. True PG has no meaning to me right now.