Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
BEARCAT-4-LIFE

BEARCAT-4-LIFE is on a distinguished road
Final thoughts leading up to postseason

A couple of things wanting your alls opinion on

1- If we lose to Memphis beat Rutgers, win 1 conference tourny game and then 1 and done in big tourny. What would you make of this season.

2-We win out win out lose in finals of conference tourny win 2 games in big tourny

3-Win out win conference tourny and make sweet 16 or better?

Which one seems like we are heading in that direction?

I look at 2 things yes we are on a 2 game skid and pretty much played terrible both games but still had a chance to win. Is it the guys are getting tired or we just cant get it going mentally because the turnovers are just nuts right now.

Or are we on a decline and are goign to start hearing the overrated talk if we cant finish strong and do some damage in the tournaments.
BEARCAT-4-LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEARCAT-4-LIFE View Post
A couple of things wanting your alls opinion on

1- If we lose to Memphis beat Rutgers, win 1 conference tourny game and then 1 and done in big tourny. What would you make of this season.

2-We win out win out lose in finals of conference tourny win 2 games in big tourny

3-Win out win conference tourny and make sweet 16 or better?

Which one seems like we are heading in that direction?

I look at 2 things yes we are on a 2 game skid and pretty much played terrible both games but still had a chance to win. Is it the guys are getting tired or we just cant get it going mentally because the turnovers are just nuts right now.

Or are we on a decline and are goign to start hearing the overrated talk if we cant finish strong and do some damage in the tournaments.
I would be disappointed if that happened. I don't really hold any weight/judgements for conference tourneys. Its all about the NCAA for me. If we don't win out the regular season though I would be pretty disappointed. It would show we weren't able to make adjustments and improve since we didn't sweep any of the top tier teams. At the end of the day its all about the NCAA tourney. That really depends on matchups so its hard to make a decision yet.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
I think no matter what happens this season will have to be considered a success. To me the tourney is 4 weeks and the end of the season and doesn't make or break an entire year (unless you make a Final 4).

I'd be disappointed if we are one and done in the NCAA's for sure, I'm expecting a Sweet 16 at minimum because I think we are one the 16 best teams in the country.

Bottom line for me is that for the first time since he's been here Mick has gotten this team to a consistent spot inside the top 15. That is HUGE for this program. The national attention and relevance that comes with the rankings helps in all areas. It helps drive attendance and it helps Mick on the recruiting trail. I also love what I've seen from TC and KJ and I'm excited about their future. I expect very big things from Troy and I think he's the type of PG that can help us leave our offensive woes in the past.

As far as I'm concerned, if we lose in the second round of the NCAA's I'd say this season has been way more fun and successful for the program than the year we ran to the sweet 16. That season was pretty so-so right up until the end.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
I think no matter what happens this season will have to be considered a success.
I agree with this. I will be very sad if this team has an early tournament exit, but when you think about where we were coming into this season, I just don't see how any ending will make the season a disappointment.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
handwaver

handwaver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I agree with this. I will be very sad if this team has an early tournament exit, but when you think about where we were coming into this season, I just don't see how any ending will make the season a disappointment.
At least conference co-champs & sweet 16! Anything less, some level of disappointment...make sweet 16 & I don't worry so much about conf...lose first tourney game & conf championship feels a bit hollow
handwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I keep going back to most people thought this was a NIT, FRINGE NCAA team. Picked 4th in their league. A league championship, shared or outright, is a success. Like others I'm not big on CT results and frankly a team like Houston could pull a big upset and any of the top 5 teams in this league could win it.

As far as the NCAA Tournament goes a first round loss would disappoint me but beyond that match ups will determine a lot. I think they will win both first weekend games, anything other than that is gravey to me. Again, if they end up a 3-4 seed how can you not think that's a success when they were predicted by many to not even make it?

This season has exceeded my expectations. I believe I thought they'd lose 8 games in the regular season. With as many new parts and roles as this team started with, and their obvious limitations, I'm not sure you could squeeze much more out of them. I'm disappointed in the last loss every single season because there is such a long wait till they play again.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
For me, it doesn't matter what happens the rest of the regular season or conference tourney. The regular season is already a success. The conference tourney is nice to win, but won't bother me much.

This team has to win the first game of the NCAA and be win or be competitive in the round of 32. Kinda depends on matchup for me on if a win or loss in the round of 32 is ok this year.

This team has already given me so much more than I expected this year. What they have done is set a new bar for UC basketball...well, brought back an old one. So I can't be too disappointed in them no matter what happens as long as they compete.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
aronius

aronius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
I think no matter what happens this season will have to be considered a success. To me the tourney is 4 weeks and the end of the season and doesn't make or break an entire year (unless you make a Final 4).

I'd be disappointed if we are one and done in the NCAA's for sure, I'm expecting a Sweet 16 at minimum because I think we are one the 16 best teams in the country.
I agree. As we have so often seen in the past, anything can happen in the tournament. The only way I will be disappointed is if the offense fails to show at all and causes the loss. This team is far from great on offense but they are much better than they have shown recently.

A sweet 16 appearance and this season will be a huge success. I don't think anyone was predicting that in the preseason. If they fall short, still a successful season and something to build on.
aronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
I always greatly value the regular season because that is what I pay to watch and it represents 85% to 90% of the games. No matter what happens after the regular season, this has been a huge success, mainly because it has been so unexpected. The postseason is just icing on the cake for me. I give the season an A- right now. If we capture a share of the title, it goes to an A. If we win the league outright it's an A+.

What happens in the postseason shouldn't take away much from the joy of the regular season. For me, if we win at least one game in the league tournament and the NCAA tournament, my regular season grade stands. If we get to the championship game of the league tourney, and/or win a couple in the NCAA, it's more and more icing on the cake. If we flame out completely in the postseason, the overall grade should fall to no less than a B. In the absolute worst case scenario, you could never view this as anything worse than a "GOOD" season, with a much higher probability of it likely being a "VERY GOOD" to "GREAT" season.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
I always greatly value the regular season because that is what I pay to watch and it represents 85% to 90% of the games. No matter what happens after the regular season, this has been a huge success, mainly because it has been so unexpected. The postseason is just icing on the cake for me. I give the season an A- right now. If we capture a share of the title, it goes to an A. If we win the league outright it's an A+.

What happens in the postseason shouldn't take away much from the joy of the regular season. For me, if we win at least one game in the league tournament and the NCAA tournament, my regular season grade stands. If we get to the championship game of the league tourney, and/or win a couple in the NCAA, it's more and more icing on the cake. If we flame out completely in the postseason, the overall grade should fall to no less than a B. In the absolute worst case scenario, you could never view this as anything worse than a "GOOD" season, with a much higher probability of it likely being a "VERY GOOD" to "GREAT" season.
Good analysis. I don't completely agree with dropping the seasons grade based on the postseason (again simply because the general consensus was a NIT bit with outside shot at the NCAA if everything fell right) but I think this is very fair.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote