Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #21
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Looking back through the stat line this morning I noticed Sanders had 6 points, 5 rebounds and 3 steals in 13 minutes. He just quietly does his job.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #22
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Looking back through the stat line this morning I noticed Sanders had 6 points, 5 rebounds and 3 steals in 13 minutes. He just quietly does his job.

Appalachian St. and Massachusetts Lowell are the drags on the schedule. They are a combined 1-11. NCCU, NC St and Campbell are 13-6.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 12-01-2013 at 06:02 AM.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post

Appalachian St. and Massachusetts Lowell are the drags on the schedule. They are a combined 1-11. NCCU, NC St and Campbell are 13-6.
Some fans will never get over the fact that he isn't flashy, but good teams have players like this. I'm glad Sanders has finally matured and is giving us production.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #24
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
I was down on Sanders going into this year because of his apparent lack of athleticism and awkward shooting stroke.

However, I think I underestimated his athleticism. He's no burner, to be certain, but he is long enough and just quick enough laterally to stay with his man on defense and doesn't suffer from the mental lapses that plague some of the other guys on this team. He never turns the ball over, is a good free throw shooter, and can hit the open 3 (usually). He has found his niche on this team, and will be a valuable, if not spectacular, contributor the next 2 seasons.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #25
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
We have a good combo at the 3 spot with Sanders as the steady, streaky three point shooter and Thomas is less reliable but an explosive athlete and can hit mid range shots. Mick can just go with whoever is playing better that game...
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #26
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
On the post-game show, Mick Cronin said the thing he was happiest about was Rubles knocking down all of his free throws. He reiterated that Rubles has a nice stroke and hits his free throws in practice, but has a bad habit of releasing the ball too low in games. Hopefully he has turned the corner, because if he could just hit 70% of his free throws, he will be a deadly weapon for us. He can draw fouls as well as anyone on the team and there will be times this team will struggle in the half court. During those times, Rubles is going to have to put the ball on the floor and create offense by drawing fouls.

Last edited by Robert; 12-01-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
On the post-game show, Mick Cronin said the thing he was happiest about was Rubles knocking down all of his free throws. He reiterated that Rubles has a nice stroke and hits his free throws in practice, but has a bad habit of releasing the ball too low in games. Hopefully he has turned the corner, because if he could just hit 70% of his free throws, he will be a deadly weapon for us. He can draw fouls as well as anyone on the team and there will be times this team will struggle in the half court. During those times, Rubles is going to have to put the ball on the floor and create offense by drawing fouls.
Compared to prior games, Rubles had a slightly different release on his FTs this time. It was sort of a measured shot (distance wise). I liked it. There was no way the ball was going to be over shot. He did kiss the front inside on a couple of FTs, but that's OK. He's got the distance figured out. Heck, even DN knocked down a pair (another miracle?).
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #28
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Some fans will never get over the fact that he isn't flashy, but good teams have players like this. I'm glad Sanders has finally matured and is giving us production.
I wasn't sure but just had to go back and check his production in previous years. All in all he seems to be doing better. Here are his last three years with this year as the last number.

Minutes...8.5...12.9...21
Pts...1.7...3.1...6.2 (average pts/min are about the same)
FG%....381...369...417 (so far but competetition will get tougher)
3%...368...271...400 (again things will get tougher)
FT%....500...531...875 (this is a big improvement so far)
Reb/game...1.2...2.1...3.4. (again average/min haven't changed much)
Assists...14 (total)...26...5 (again not much changed per minute)
TO's...13...21...4 (again not much change but this isn't bad)
Blocks...2...3...1 (we will see but not much change per minute)
Steals...1...11...2 (a bit of a step back considering our opponents)

So JS has been pretty solid all along. Nothing to write home about. His FT's stand out right now. If he can keep that up it should be a decent season for him. Otherwise he is doing most of the same things he always has. We can't measure some of the intangibles in these stats like being in the right place on D and leadership and effort. With the competition we have played his averages per minute should be up right now compared to total season in the past.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote