Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2020, 05:55 PM   #641
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Brannen recruited these guys. If he didn’t think he could get them to play good enough D he wouldn’t have offered. Effort won’t be a problem. There are also some techniques that can be addressed fairly easily.. Gabe will be fine
In the long run, yes. But I am talking about as a freshman. We've seen plenty of freshmen get limited minutes because of defensive mistakes: Harvey and Davenport just last year, Keith Williams sat behind Moore as a freshman.

Brannen has talked about how bench guys get less slack from him in terms of making mistakes. It takes time to learn to play defense and give effort on every play when you aren't used to it. I like Gabe's potential, but I don't expect much from him as a freshman.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:13 PM   #642
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

MAW I think will be okay as an SG. I think it's his more natural position anyway and he has a good stroke from three. I imagine him and Harvey will get the bulk of the minutes.
MAW isn't an off-ball player. Reminds me of when everybody said Caupain had to be off the ball.

MAW struggled a great deal when Cumberland took over the point. Not sure he's really a pure shooter and he doesn't really have a slashers game either.

MAWs PT is likely to come because of what he does on the other end of the court.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:04 PM   #643
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
MAW isn't an off-ball player. Reminds me of when everybody said Caupain had to be off the ball.

MAW struggled a great deal when Cumberland took over the point. Not sure he's really a pure shooter and he doesn't really have a slashers game either.

MAWs PT is likely to come because of what he does on the other end of the court.
Somebody is going to have to play off-ball (or transfer). MAW led the team in three-point percentage (37.3%) - excluding Diarra's 5 of 7. He also played off ball as a senior in HS.

I think his shot looks good, not sure how much of a slasher he will be. Assuming DeJulius gets a waiver and starts at PG, MAW is going to have to play at least some time at SG.

I'm also not convinced MAW's slump was because of Cumberland playing PG. Mid-season slumps are plenty common for freshmen who don't change position.

We can afford to have some three-and-D guys. MAW seems like he could be one of them.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:56 AM   #644
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Somebody is going to have to play off-ball (or transfer). MAW led the team in three-point percentage (37.3%) - excluding Diarra's 5 of 7. He also played off ball as a senior in HS.

I think his shot looks good, not sure how much of a slasher he will be. Assuming DeJulius gets a waiver and starts at PG, MAW is going to have to play at least some time at SG.

I'm also not convinced MAW's slump was because of Cumberland playing PG. Mid-season slumps are plenty common for freshmen who don't change position.

We can afford to have some three-and-D guys. MAW seems like he could be one of them.

He's going to have his role, but as far as what he's going to bring to the offense, MAW has to be near the bottom of the list. He's not a pure shooter, he's not a driver, he didn't distribute well. I think his game is a watered down version of Troy's. He's a guy that will get you into the right play,and the ball will go where its supposed to go. There is value in that. I think his game could really flourish in the style we used to play.

I think Brannen is looking for something a bit more dynamic. At PG he clearly wants guys that will fly up the court off misses. Wings he wants a bit more size and more athleticism. MAW was a nice late pick up and is going to be a nice contributor his entire career. Probably won't ever be one of the go to guys though. And there's nothing wrong with that.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #645
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post

I expect the offense to run much different with Cumberland out of it. Even if MAW is not “pg”...he should still get chances to be top of key and work downhill where he was very effective finishing around the rim on his left side. I expect with DDs speed and effectiveness in transition he will be the preferred outlet but once they get in half court sets it will become interchangeable and the guards will work through their rotations.

That’s a lot different than running ISO’s for one player
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #646
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
In the long run, yes. But I am talking about as a freshman. We've seen plenty of freshmen get limited minutes because of defensive mistakes: Harvey and Davenport just last year, Keith Williams sat behind Moore as a freshman.

Brannen has talked about how bench guys get less slack from him in terms of making mistakes. It takes time to learn to play defense and give effort on every play when you aren't used to it. I like Gabe's potential, but I don't expect much from him as a freshman.
Sure...it’s likely going to take some time to adjust. But even Cronin was ready to put guys like Cumberland, Evans, SK in during frosh year because they offered scoring options and he was a hawk on D. As long as the frosh aren’t horrible on D...if they can put a ball in a bucket they will provide some value and depth. I think Madsen will get plenty of looks for the same reason Jaevin did...he could score when we had to have some
Old 04-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #647
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sure...it’s likely going to take some time to adjust. But even Cronin was ready to put guys like Cumberland, Evans, SK in during frosh year because they offered scoring options and he was a hawk on D. As long as the frosh aren’t horrible on D...if they can put a ball in a bucket they will provide some value and depth. I think Madsen will get plenty of looks for the same reason Jaevin did...he could score when we had to have some
For what its worth, we know how Cronin liked to treat freshman and his philosophy, doesn't mean Brannen will be identical. Cronin valued Defense tremendously.

Brannen gave frosh the below minutes on this teams at NKU
18/19 - 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th
17/18 - 5th, 11th
16/17 - 4th, 7th, 9th, 10th

Compared to Cronin
18/19 - 11th
17/18 - 8th, 9th, 11th
16/17 - 6th, 8th, 9th
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:07 PM   #648
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I expect the offense to run much different with Cumberland out of it. Even if MAW is not “pg”...he should still get chances to be top of key and work downhill where he was very effective finishing around the rim on his left side. I expect with DDs speed and effectiveness in transition he will be the preferred outlet but once they get in half court sets it will become interchangeable and the guards will work through their rotations.

That’s a lot different than running ISO’s for one player
Totally agree. It’s an offensive where everyone has the ball and makes decisions. It’s not a one man show. It doesn’t matter who is dribbling the ball up the court. People make to much of that
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #649
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
For what its worth, we know how Cronin liked to treat freshman and his philosophy, doesn't mean Brannen will be identical. Cronin valued Defense tremendously.

Brannen gave frosh the below minutes on this teams at NKU
18/19 - 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th
17/18 - 5th, 11th
16/17 - 4th, 7th, 9th, 10th

Compared to Cronin
18/19 - 11th
17/18 - 8th, 9th, 11th
16/17 - 6th, 8th, 9th
If we can get 2 frosh in the top 7 in minutes we are going to be stacked with quality depth. 2 of the following players would have to be moved to 8th or 9th.

Williams
Dejulius
Vogt
Dou
Rap
MAW
Harvey

I don't see 2 happening but even 1 would be a nice surprise.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #650
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If we can get 2 frosh in the top 7 in minutes we are going to be stacked with quality depth. 2 of the following players would have to be moved to 8th or 9th.

Williams
Dejulius
Vogt
Dou
Rap
MAW
Harvey

I don't see 2 happening but even 1 would be a nice surprise.
Due to position break down, you have to think Eason will find his way to 7-8th most minutes.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote