Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-17-2021, 12:12 PM   #401
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkywestside View Post
That is what is funny here. The minutes. If we are honest with ourselves Saunders was basically a fast basketball player. Below average shooter and an average playmaker at best for a Freshman. He would have definately improved and he showed talent. However, to say that he should have been playing before DD is outrageous. DD is in front of him as he should be and Saunders left. Maybe John wasn't a bed of roses but please. Mike is leaving because his old man is in his ear and that he's a 35 minute a night guy. And you can't get to the league playing second fiddle to DD. Just my take.
If you break down #4 in the post that seems to lay out a plausible scenario. Brannen probably gave Mikey a couple of charity starts and then pulled him and sat him the rest of the game. Maybe John was trying to keep him happy with the starts but the following playing time told Mike something different. I know if that was me I would assume it was a charity start if I didn't play the rest of the game. Brannen should have realized his players are smart enough to get the point. I remember noticing it when it happened. How do you determine a kid can start but then sit the bench for the remainder?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:14 PM   #402
BorisTheCat

BorisTheCat is on a distinguished road
Not buying it

Covid.. Portal making it easy to bail... Sure.. those all make the situation worse but... I have to believe that half the roster (so far) choosing to leave.. is a vote of NO CONFIDENCE that cannot be ignored. I was a huge fan of the hire and optimistic about the future... a few days ago I thought we had a core to build on.... the people that really know are not talking and well.. we're all filling the vacuum
BorisTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #403
UCats329

UCats329 is on a distinguished road
This is really simple to me: for whatever reason, most of these kids don't want to play for John Brannen. Guy could be a total prick, guy could be Mother Teresa--apportion blame however you like, but he simply can't relate to these kids and develop a relationship with them. Those are simply the facts on the ground, and they don't inspire confidence that this program gets back on solid footing under him. If I'm UC, I'm at least exploring my options at this point.
UCats329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #404
beeman7467

beeman7467 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
A point being made recently is where are the shows of support for Brannen from the players still here? If they do like him, you'd think the players still here would speak up.

Instead we are getting silence or is the case of JD rumors that he is considering staying inspite of Brannen because he loves the city. I suspect there is a push from some of the players to fire Brannen to get them to stay.

DDJ is the only player who has had positive things to say about Brannen and even he is silent.

The remaining players are seeing the rumors going around and not one player has stepped up and said we love playing for Brannen. That is almost as telling as then transfers out.

If Brannen is going to stay, he needs to clean out the cancer players or we may see a similar situation next year. Which it seems is still some guys remaining - like Davenport - who love the city more than they hate him.

But I prefer that the real cancer be taken out. That cancer appears to be brannen and his staff.
I also find this curious. Literally no comment anywhere since the landslide started from anyone (except maybe his wife) who is lending support. It doesn't have to be a billboard with "I love Coach Brannen" on it, but something would be nice. It's primarily his guys that are bailing, so regardless of why, he's at least partially responsible. His supposed lengthy and in-depth recruiting process should flesh out any possible issues with egos, over burdening parents, etc.. If there are problems, he should see it and react accordingly. I keep hearing him talk about needing a specific type of player for his "system". Have to assume the recent signees fit the mold and just needed experience. Whether you like it or not, some kids can't take constant belittling or constant criticism. You have to adjust. Or be prepared to replace a bunch of them every year and start over.
beeman7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #405
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If you break down #4 in the post that seems to lay out a plausible scenario. Brannen probably gave Mikey a couple of charity starts and then pulled him and sat him the rest of the game. Maybe John was trying to keep him happy with the starts but the following playing time told Mike something different. I know if that was me I would assume it was a charity start if I didn't play the rest of the game. Brannen should have realized his players are smart enough to get the point. I remember noticing it when it happened. How do you determine a kid can start but then sit the bench for the remainder?

Almost seems vindictive... oh you wanna start Mikey? Ok you’re starting.... then rides the pine after.

Dudes are living in isolation. And coach seemed to Lack any sort of empathy for them.

Brannen is dense. Desolate. Singularly focused on just his mission with no connection with the humans on the other side that he is relying on.

I don’t think he can handle this job. It was too big of a jump.

He should save face & resign. Take a year off and then try to get a mid major job.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:22 PM   #406
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
it was better in the Cronin Era. Brendel is awful in the Brannen era. No inside info, no hot boards, no juicy scoops. His board is bigger than ever and yet his access is worse than ever.

Its no wonder Brannen practices are closed because he don't want the media seeing him being an absolute prick who fails to even connect even a little with his players.
So much speculation in all of this, you literally KNOW none of this as fact.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #407
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Almost seems vindictive... oh you wanna start Mikey? Ok you’re starting.... then rides the pine after.

Dudes are living in isolation. And coach seemed to Lack any sort of empathy for them.

Brannen is dense. Desolate. Singularly focused on just his mission with no connection with the humans on the other side that he is relying on.

I don’t think he can handle this job. It was too big of a jump.

He should save face & resign. Take a year off and then try to get a mid major job.
Amazingly .. your takes continue to get worse. I NEVER thought that was possible
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #408
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I mean, let's all be honest here, resigning would be the stupiest thing he could possibly do. (Barring player abuse or something similar hiding behind the reason).

The man is due 75% of his remaining contract if he's fired. 4.5 million. That's probably more than he's made in the 20 years of coaching prior. If it's not, it's close.

I want him gone now too. There's no fixing this IMO. And the longer you wait the worse the rebuild is going to get. But I just don't get the "he should resign" comments.

There's a good chance this entire situation essentially kills his career as a HC in DI. I gotta imagine even some assistants gigs that may have been available to him had this not went down this way would be off the table for awhile too, as he's going to struggle to recruit. The absolutely worst thing he can do right now is leave millions of dollars on the table just to try to save face.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:27 PM   #409
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
I’ve never seen player quit during game especially live tv! That’s what Keith did though
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:27 PM   #410
BorisTheCat

BorisTheCat is on a distinguished road
Information Vacuum

Unfortunately, this is what you get when there is a vacuum of accurate information.. people fill in their own blanks without any citing of actual facts. The people in the know are NOT TALKING at present.. Feel free to wonder, speculate, etc but don't play it like you have facts to support your words when you dont
BorisTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote