Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #71
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Not sure you really care, but you'd be 100% wrong.

I had a few conversations about this dude a week or so ago when his name first surfaced. Didn't want Miller going after another kid from North Carolina, who was a bench player on a 11-18 Wake Forest team. A school which bears his family name on the building.

It once again calls his recruiting network/pipeline into question and for someone like me I'm going to question the optics of that.

I also don't put a lot of stock into schools that get attatched to players during the process in 2021. Did Kansas really want this kid? Did they really push hard for him?

I kinda doubt that. And frankly if they did then they must be absolute mess. A kid at this level shouldn't even take up the 13th spot on a team like Kansas.
Yeah why would he recruit in the state he’s been a coach in for the last ten years. Come in man you expect him to have ties in the area after 30 days. Lmao
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #72
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not sure you really care, but you'd be 100% wrong.

I had a few conversations about this dude a week or so ago when his name first surfaced. Didn't want Miller going after another kid from North Carolina, who was a bench player on a 11-18 Wake Forest team. A school which bears his family name on the building.

It once again calls his recruiting network/pipeline into question and for someone like me I'm going to question the optics of that.

I also don't put a lot of stock into schools that get attatched to players during the process in 2021. Did Kansas really want this kid? Did they really push hard for him?

I kinda doubt that. And frankly if they did then they must be absolute mess. A kid at this level shouldn't even take up the 13th spot on a team like Kansas.
So the coach is recruiting because of his connections and that is a bad thing? What else do you recruit on? Come on man. Has connections in the south? Uh yah? Where most of his current relationships probably are? Uh huh.

And why would Kansas, Arkansas, and others even bother to reach out? I mean there are two years of tapes to look over. If they didn't see something interesting why waste time calling a guy you think can't play? Do you reach out to say you aren't interested? Come on man.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #73
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
I'm going to post one more thing. I'm sure my negativity isn't welcome and I'm not going to turn into JustinHub just bombarding the board with it.

For those that think I'm just looking for things to complain about I assure that's not the case. These are things I brought up in advance. So when I see them coming to fruition it's not exactly just me complaining for the sake of complaining.

Right when Miller's name surfaced as being the guy I had a number of questions. Fwiw, I went throught a lot of these on BCN and in some real life conversation.

I wondered about a guy whose entire career, both as a player and coach being in North Carolina. UNC (Player) to Elon (asst) to High Point (asst) to UNCG (HC). This lead to me question if he could recruit outside of the area.

I also wondered about the levels of players he could attract outside of just their locations. His entire coaching career has been on lower tier programs. He's never been an assistant going after high level players. He had zero experience in competing for top level players.

I also said that I did NOT want him building out his staff with UNCG coaches. This is entirely different level of basketball with an entirely different level of pay. I didn't want to see him take the lazy route and just hire the guys he knows and give them all 100-200% raises.

I also said I did not want to see us taking on a bunch of UNCG transfers, much for the same reasons I just listed for the coaches. We need a high caliber of athlete, and it strikes me as lazy. The size of portal and the number of players available is too great to settle on just bringing over a bunch of Southern Conference players.

So look at what's happen since. 3 of the 4 coach hires have UNCG (ties). The other is from the South. 4 of the 5 of players have UNCG ties. The other played in North Carolina and played at a school where Miller's dad is a HUGE booster. None of the players we've gotten are what I would consider legitimate starters at this level.

These are all the things I did not see. Nothing but North Carolina connections, filling out the staff and roster with UNCG guys, not signing any major players.

Look, I realize he had to build out a roster quickly. I understand we're not going to be getting 5 star guys. I understand he was going to bring over a couple people he was familliar with. But this a bit freaking much.

You can say I'm wrong, you can accuse me of being negative, but don't say I'm just finding things to complain about. Every single thing that scared me off about this guy is now happening.

I was really hoping he'd wow me and show me why he's considered the best coach in America under 40. I wanted to be impressed. I'm not. AT ALL. It honestly looks like he still thinks he's coaching for UNCG and is trying to win the Southern. Outside of Chad Dollar every single move this dude has made has been mid-major. Lazy, boring, lackluster, all these words come to mind when describing his approach to building out his program so far.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #74
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
1.) When I'm talking about being recruited over or moving down the depth chart I'm talking now, or in for the upcoming season. Did I say they started to recruit over him in 2019?

2.) Maybe you're right. Maybe he's going to be awesome. Really weird though that he'd commit to some BS program like UNCG though if he was some stud.

PS The dude averaged 9.5 points, 3.9 RB and 2 AST playing 31 minutes a game for a 16-15 Clemson team. Can we stop pretending like this is that impressive? He was a medicore player on a medicore team.
Those aren't bad numbers for a soph. Sounds like Keith Williams numbers.

And who is pretending that this is OVERLY impressive? It's solid and the coach will be looking to improve the scoring on the wing. He's not a go to guy. But he can play 20 minutes and be productive.

You seem to be pretending (using your words) that a lot of people are over the moon about these recruits. I don't get that same impression.

A straw man argument is arguing a point nobody else is making.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:16 PM   #75
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm going to post one more thing. I'm sure my negativity isn't welcome and I'm not going to turn into JustinHub just bombarding the board with it.

For those that think I'm just looking for things to complain about I assure that's not the case. These are things I brought up in advance. So when I see them coming to fruition it's not exactly just me complaining for the sake of complaining.

Right when Miller's name surfaced as being the guy I had a number of questions. Fwiw, I went throught a lot of these on BCN and in some real life conversation.

I wondered about a guy whose entire career, both as a player and coach being in North Carolina. UNC (Player) to Elon (asst) to High Point (asst) to UNCG (HC). This lead to me question if he could recruit outside of the area.

I also wondered about the levels of players he could attract outside of just their locations. His entire coaching career has been on lower tier programs. He's never been an assistant going after high level players. He had zero experience in competing for top level players.

I also said that I did NOT want him building out his staff with UNCG coaches. This is entirely different level of basketball with an entirely different level of pay. I didn't want to see him take the lazy route and just hire the guys he knows and give them all 100-200% raises.

I also said I did not want to see us taking on a bunch of UNCG transfers, much for the same reasons I just listed for the coaches. We need a high caliber of athlete, and it strikes me as lazy. The size of portal and the number of players available is too great to settle on just bringing over a bunch of Southern Conference players.

So look at what's happen since. 3 of the 4 coach hires have UNCG (ties). The other is from the South. 4 of the 5 of players have UNCG ties. The other played in North Carolina and played at a school where Miller's dad is a HUGE booster. None of the players we've gotten are what I would consider legitimate starters at this level.

These are all the things I did not see. Nothing but North Carolina connections, filling out the staff and roster with UNCG guys, not signing any major players.

Look, I realize he had to build out a roster quickly. I understand we're not going to be getting 5 star guys. I understand he was going to bring over a couple people he was familliar with. But this a bit freaking much.

You can say I'm wrong, you can accuse me of being negative, but don't say I'm just finding things to complain about. Every single thing that scared me off about this guy is now happening.

I was really hoping he'd wow me and show me why he's considered the best coach in America under 40. I wanted to be impressed. I'm not. AT ALL. It honestly looks like he still thinks he's coaching for UNCG and is trying to win the Southern. Outside of Chad Dollar every single move this dude has made has been mid-major. Lazy, boring, lackluster, all these words come to mind when describing his approach to building out his program so far.
What I see, not that any of our opinions matters, is a competitive team being put together, with maybe 1 or 2 starting positions for returning players. Which I think is great.

Time for the players to earn their keep, just because a few are from UNCG doesn't mean their not better than the returning talent. Monster Factory and time will tell. I think we are in a good situation going forward.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:27 PM   #76
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I'm not over the moon about anybody, but I am happy that we have filled all of holes we had after the exodus. The only newcomer I have pegged for more than 20 mpg is Newman, and that assumes he is healthy. He's a defense first player, so looking at his offensive numbers doesn't tell you how good he is. Some of the young guys clearly have potential watching tape. Oby is very mobile and high energy for his size, and is already a great rebounder as a sophomore. McGinnis can be an elite shooter. Hensley has the size and agility to be a good 4. Let's evaluate these guys after they've had a couple years to develop. Until then we'll count on our upperclassmen to carry the load.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:36 PM   #77
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I think you may be trying to fulfill your own prophecy. Some things you left out.

Only one coach from UNCG will be on the bench. The other came over from the B10 and one from the SEC. We got Rehfeldt from Uconn. We are probably adding two former players to the staff. And I don't think Wes is done adding significant staff members.

In terms of players he convinced Mike and Mason to come back out of the portal after what seemed to be an awful first year experience here. Also got two playes from the ACC so far...and 3 from UNCG. Roster is stabilized and Wes is shooting for stars next. At least 1 if not 2 more players that will be better than the rest. If they come out of the south I don't care. It's gonna take time to build relationships in a new region.

I would say again be patient again but it seems like whatever happens from here you will find a way to marginalize it.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #78
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I'm not over the moon about anybody, but I am happy that we have filled all of holes we had after the exodus. The only newcomer I have pegged for more than 20 mpg is Newman, and that assumes he is healthy. He's a defense first player, so looking at his offensive numbers doesn't tell you how good he is. Some of the young guys clearly have potential watching tape. Oby is very mobile and high energy for his size, and is already a great rebounder as a sophomore. McGinnis can be an elite shooter. Hensley has the size and agility to be a good 4. Let's evaluate these guys after they've had a couple years to develop. Until then we'll count on our upperclassmen to carry the load.
I agree about waiting to see what Wes decided to bring over from UNCG. I am not talking about Koval or Newman here. Koval is a one year stop gap to split time. Newman is from the ACC.

He decided Hensley and McGinnis were worth bringing for one reason or another. Worst case they sit at the end of the bench and play spot minutes. We can't play 13 guys anyway. I think the best case is Wes knows their potential and sees the upside. His highest rated recruit (tall guy with skills doesn't hurt) and what many believe would have been the point getter next year at UNCG as a soph.

I am sure Wes knows what he has in these guys already but even if they don't pan out he can help them find a better fit for their skills and playing time. Not really much to lose here. I don't think a player would want to come and sit the bench for 3 years.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #79
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Yeah why would he recruit in the state he’s been a coach in for the last ten years. Come in man you expect him to have ties in the area after 30 days. Lmao
No problem with him recruiting in Carolina. I do have a problem with him exclusively recruiting in Carolina though.

Not sure if this really needs to be said, but to succeed at this level you're going to have to recruit from more than one state.

And I don't have a problem with him not having tons of ties to specifically this area yet either. But it appears he doesn't have ties anywhere.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:14 PM   #80
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

I would say again be patient again but it seems like whatever happens from here you will find a way to marginalize it.
I already laid out what he has to no for me not to "marginalize it".

Start recruiting guys that aren't a.) only from North Carolina b.) players who wouldn't start for any top 50 team in America.

I'm not exactly asking for the moon here.