TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #1292
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
So Eason and Saunders back?
The rumor is Mason too. But I don’t think any of this is confirmed. Neither is NVE or Martin for that matter

But it sounds great if true
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:32 PM   #1293
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Get two stud wings and two Dudes at the 5 and call it a day

If they come back and everyone else stays that is
Old 04-12-2021, 06:35 PM   #1294
waterhead
Senior Moderator

If Huggins retired and WVU hired Martin as HC would it be as bad as some are making it sound?
Old 04-12-2021, 08:12 PM   #1295
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If Huggins retired and WVU hired Martin as HC would it be as bad as some are making it sound?
The equivalent scenario there would be if they hired someone like Mike Gansey with Kevin Pittsnogle as an assistant.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:29 PM   #1296
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
The equivalent scenario there would be if they hired someone like Mike Gansey with Kevin Pittsnogle as an assistant.
How is that at all the equivalent?

Mike Gansey is assistant GM in the NBA. I'm not even sure he has any coaching experience. How many years did he coach prior to working in a front office? How many of those years of coaching were spent coaching in college?

And comparing Nick Van Exel to Kevin Pittsnoggle is absolutely absurd. Honestly, I think as UC fan and moderator of this board you should feel kinda bad about that comparison. Nick Van Exel has now spent over a decade in coaching. He also played 13 years in the NBA and was a pretty damn good player with some name recgonition at the pro level. Kevin Pittsnoggle played a year in the CBA and a year in D-League, and the last I heard about him he was selling used cars.

If you don't like the hire then that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But I see no reason to go out of your way to shit on former Bearcats and diminish their careers by making lazy comparisons, meant only to make UC (and them) look foolish.

Last edited by MDW79; 04-12-2021 at 08:33 PM.
MDW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:38 PM   #1297
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
If you don't like the hire then that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But I see no reason to go out of your way to shit on former Bearcats and diminish their careers by making lazy comparisons, meant only to make UC (and them) look foolish.
Dude, calm down. The point is that Gansey and Pittsnogle are a couple of players from past glory years that don't have any head coaching experience. Gansey does have a lot of experience in basketball management and roster construction, it's not that absurd of a comparison. Pittsnogle is just the next best player from that team. Nobody is shitting on anyone here.

I'd say it's a more valid comparison than UWV staying in system with continuity. A groomed successor often makes more sense as an internal hire than moving elsewhere.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:33 PM   #1298
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Dude, calm down. The point is that Gansey and Pittsnogle are a couple of players from past glory years that don't have any head coaching experience. Gansey does have a lot of experience in basketball management and roster construction, it's not that absurd of a comparison. Pittsnogle is just the next best player from that team. Nobody is shitting on anyone here.

I'd say it's a more valid comparison than UWV staying in system with continuity. A groomed successor often makes more sense as an internal hire than moving elsewhere.
My apoligies if I read you comment wrong, it very much read as a dig against our approach. And no offense, but is absolute a terrible comparison.

There's a big difference between having no head coaching experience and having no coaching experience at all. And pulling out Pittsnoggle as an apt comparison to Nick Van Exel is ridiculous. Come on, you have to know that.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:38 PM   #1299
MDW79

Anyone got any opinions on reaching out to John Loyer to take one of the spots on the staff?

He was with Huggs from Akron then came here and was one of the main guys until 1999. Spent a year as the HC at Wabash, the spent a decade as an assistant in the NBA. Hewas even the interim HC of the Pistons for half of season. The last I heard he's been an NBA scout for a few years.

One of his sons plays for Michigan St., the other is top 150 recruit in the 2022 class, currently commited to Purdue. https://247sports.com/player/fletcher-loyer-46102254/

Looks like he currently lives in Ft. Wayne, which aint that far away. Might not be a bad guy to reach out to fill out the staff. Obviously he has connections to both Martin and Van Exel, and I'm sure he's still got plenty of local connections too.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:14 PM   #1300
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Anyone got any opinions on reaching out to John Loyer to take one of the spots on the staff?

He was with Huggs from Akron then came here and was one of the main guys until 1999. Spent a year as the HC at Wabash, the spent a decade as an assistant in the NBA. Hewas even the interim HC of the Pistons for half of season. The last I heard he's been an NBA scout for a few years.

One of his sons plays for Michigan St., the other is top 150 recruit in the 2022 class, currently commited to Purdue. https://247sports.com/player/fletcher-loyer-46102254/

Looks like he currently lives in Ft. Wayne, which aint that far away. Might not be a bad guy to reach out to fill out the staff. Obviously he has connections to both Martin and Van Exel, and I'm sure he's still got plenty of local connections too.
It would make sense to bring in a seasoned guy with head coaching experience. That would be like Larry Davis to Mick Cronin. Also if the guy is living in Ft. Wayne luring him to Cincinnati should be no problem.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote