Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-14-2021, 07:17 PM   #1401
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
But how many top 50 kenpom teams have they beaten?

I am also fine with Wes Miller, I do wonder why Scott Nagy wasn't interviewed if we are going the veteran coach route. But I suppose Wes is quite a bit younger and a bit more successful.

Pedon might outrage a lot of the people who want Martin. He's not much (if any) more qualified.
Honestly he has better wins than Brannen had at NKU.

Beat:
#67 Georgetown
#76 Vermont
#81 Furman
#80 East Tennesee State
#59 Furman
#46 NC State

So he has 2 Power 6 wins.

His resume is far better than John Brannen in my book and plays in a better league.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:18 PM   #1402
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I don’t know who he is, but some national guys seem to love it. He was also in the running for the North Carolina job, so I’m in. Let’s see
The road to a bearcats championship starts today
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:18 PM   #1403
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I don’t know who he is, but some national guys seem to love it. He was also in the running for the North Carolina job, so I’m in. Let’s see
I know it’s not as prevalent in college basketball as it is in college football but hopefully this isn’t a stepping stone for him
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:20 PM   #1404
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
https://greensboro.com/sports/colleg...9b83c6b0e.html

Quote:
Miller’s UNCG program values defense first and his teams share the ball, run and pressure opponents. That sounds a lot like the Tar Heels under Williams, doesn’t it? Miller also has shown an ability to adapt the Spartans’ playing style to his personnel and a willingness to embrace analytics and the 3-point shot....

...“You need kids to dig in, work at it year to year, understand the values in your program and then instill those values in the locker room on the guys who come behind them,” Miller says. “ … The young guys have guys to look to and say, ‘That’s how we’re supposed to do it.’ That’s a really hard thing to achieve in 2017-18 in college athletics: four-year guys who dig in, especially when things aren’t going well.”...

...“The second thing we look for is kids we think can defend the way we’re trying to defend,” Miller says, “and that’s changed a lot in the last two or three years. Because we’ve changed the way we guard. We need kids who can fit into our pressing schemes and our man-to-man schemes and are versatile defenders. We love multi-positional players. Look at our frontcourt right now. I love James Dickey and Kyrin Galloway, because I can do so many things with them defensively. We can switch on ball screens, because they can guard five positions.”...

...“The last thing we’re trying to find, and it’s the most important if we can check those first two boxes, is we want tough, competitive dudes,” Miller says. “You have to have a DNA of winning when I watch you play. And if I don’t see that, we go in another direction. Sometimes we miss because of that. Sometimes a kid doesn’t show me he cares about winning the next possession and we misevaluate. Maybe he does have those characteristics, and he goes on to be a great player for someone else.”
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:23 PM   #1405
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Honestly he seems like a young Mick Cronin. Defense first, likes athletes who can guard most (or all) positions. Teams excel at defense, offensive rebounding and forcing TO's.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:24 PM   #1406
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Miller it is! Yah!!

Let’s get to work
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:24 PM   #1407
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Miller great scout in South. Pretty sure he brings isiah Miller along with him. Would be best PG in conference so that be start. I’m still all in on Martin though.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:24 PM   #1408
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
The road to a bearcats championship starts today
I’m ready.

The only people that don’t like it are uc fans that probably don’t know the guy. I know national media guys aren’t going to say they don’t like the hire but they seem to be going out of their way to talk about how good he is. Let’s get some players and do this
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:27 PM   #1409
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
We got our guy, let’s have a good press conference tomorrow and then starting recruiting , we need guys.... anyone have any idea how good of a recruiter he is ? Hopefully we can sway McMillan to still come here
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:33 PM   #1410
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
We got our guy, let’s have a good press conference tomorrow and then starting recruiting , we need guys.... anyone have any idea how good of a recruiter he is ? Hopefully we can sway McMillan to still come here
He recruits totally different caliber players than Brannen and Mick. He somehow knows how get athletic freaks. We still should be in on McMillan, this move also helps us get Rayvon griffin. This more of his style of play
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote